snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Andy Williams banned for life from the Grammies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Andy Williams banned for life from the Grammies?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Did musician Andy Williams get banned for life from the Grammys
for a comment he made to Stevie Wonder? If I remember correctly, Stevie
Wonder was in Africa and was live via satellite on the show in question
and there were difficulties with the broadcast, Andy first asked him can
you hear me, Stevie replies in the positive and then Andy asks can you see
me, which immediately gets boos from the audience and he is forced to
leave and is not allowed at the grammys ever again.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard about the "Can you see me?" part of the story before, but that's the first I've ever heard of him being banned as a result of it.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you check out Andy Williams on IMDB (Internet Movie Database) you can see that he continued to appear at Grammy awards ceremonies throughout the eighties, even though the Stevie Wonder incident happened in the late 70's. (1977, I think?)

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know a huge amount about Stevie Wonder, but all the reports I've heard have shown him to have a sense of humour about his blindness. I'd expect him to have come back with some kind of quip, if the stories I've heard are true.

One probably apocryphal story I've heard is of him doing an interview where he was told the questions beforehand. He was asked "How does it feel to be blind?" Knowing the next question was going to be "How does it feel to be black?", he answered "It could be worse, at least I'm not black".

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages