snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » A New Michael Jackson Thriller UL??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A New Michael Jackson Thriller UL??
swollen_ostrich
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 106 posted      Profile for swollen_ostrich   E-mail swollen_ostrich   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard a (new?) Michael Jackson UL today from a guy I work with who is a wealth of "friend of a friend" stuff:

Today, I overheard him telling someone that Vincent Price ended up getting all the money Michael Jackson made on the song and video for "Thriller" because his voice was used without his permission!!! (Which would be pretty much impossible, since the text read by Vincent Price was wriiten exclusively for the song, and there are photos and video clips of the recording sessions for Vincent Price's reading!)

I did a search regarding this on Snopes and on the web, and haven't found anything about it.

Has anyone else ever heard this one?

Posts: 96 | From: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KentuckyGhostHunter
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyGhostHunter   E-mail KentuckyGhostHunter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to recall a Johnny Carson episode with Price on where they were discussing his fees for Thriller.

If I remember it correctly he was given a choice of a certain percentage of the sales or $20,000. He took the $20,000 and I seem to recall Johnny mentioning that he could have made millions and his response being along the lines of "How well I know."

At any rate I do remember distinctly him saying that he did it at the request of Michal Jackson.

--------------------
"People demand freedom of speech to make up for freedom of thought, which they avoid."
--Kierkegaard

Posts: 303 | From: Ashland, KY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucy Price (Vincent's daughter) notes in her biography of her father that he sourly joked, in the wake of missing all those royalties, that he may have been one of the only *adults* screwed by Michael Jackson...
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On top of that, the re-release of "Thriller" even has an outtake of Vincent Price reading his part *with* Michael Jackson in the studio.

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CreamyBoy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CreamyBoy   E-mail CreamyBoy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
Lucy Price (Vincent's daughter) notes in her biography of her father that he sourly joked, in the wake of missing all those royalties, that he may have been one of the only *adults* screwed by Michael Jackson...

Not to call FOAF or anything - but is this a direct quote you've read yourself - only in view of the outcome of the case I'd say that if Lucy Price actually published that, wouldn't it come across as libel?
(Good joke though)

Posts: 42 | From: Cardiff, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Was Vincent Price alive when the allegations about Michael Jackson came up? Price died in 1993, and I thought the allegations were more recent than that.
Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
P. 308 of "Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography":

quote:

This experience typified my father's financial foibles. In I Like What I Know he had criticized his forbears for their lack of monetary acumen, but he sold himself short just as often as his relatives had done. His work on Thriller simply followed this patter; but when the album began making its millions he was irate, feeling that Jackson should have materially acknowledged his significant contribution to the album's success. In truth, he was also angry with himself for not having made a more sensible financial arrangement-- another evidence of his tendency to obsess over money troubles.

Word eventually trickled back to Michael Jackson that my father was upset about the money. One day I answered the door at my father's house to find three members of Jackson's entourage. They came bearing a gift-- a letter of thanks from Jackson and a large frame containing a poster of the pop star and one gold and two platinum albums, all dedicated to Vincent. When I brought this "gift" to my father, he didn't know whether to laugh or cry;.... When it was reported that Michael Jackson had made a multimillion-dollar payment in respect of charges of his possible misconduct with a young boy, Vincent channeled the ill feelings about his own mistreatment into a joke: "All I can say is that Michael Jackson fucked me-- and I didn't get paid for it!"

I actually remembered the quote as cleaner than it was....
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, I googled and deja'd a bit and it looks like the Jackson settlement was reported in late January 1994 - about three months after Vincent had died. Perhaps this thread has uncovered a UL after all, of the "Questionable Quotes" variety?
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CreamyBoy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CreamyBoy   E-mail CreamyBoy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SNIP

quote:

MORE SNIP

Word eventually trickled back to Michael Jackson that my father was upset about the money. One day I answered the door at my father's house to find three members of Jackson's entourage. They came bearing a gift-- a letter of thanks from Jackson and a large frame containing a poster of the pop star and one gold and two platinum albums, all dedicated to Vincent. When I brought this "gift" to my father, he didn't know whether to laugh or cry;.... When it was reported that Michael Jackson had made a multimillion-dollar payment in respect of charges of his possible misconduct with a young boy, Vincent channeled the ill feelings about his own mistreatment into a joke: "All I can say is that Michael Jackson fucked me-- and I didn't get paid for it!"

I actually remembered the quote as cleaner than it was....
You also remembered the quote as a lot more libelous - no where in the above extract is Vincent Price overtly suggesting that Michael J screws kids.

quote:

originally posted by Brandi
.......he may have been one of the only *adults* screwed by Michael Jackson....

Posts: 42 | From: Cardiff, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

True dat-- I knew I was not remembering it correctly but thought I was paraphrasing it a bit more accurately.
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 82 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hmmm, I googled and deja'd a bit and it looks like the Jackson settlement was reported in late January 1994 - about three months after Vincent had died. Perhaps this thread has uncovered a UL after all, of the "Questionable Quotes" variety?
But note the wording: "Vincent channeled the ill feelings about his own mistreatment into a joke: 'All I can say is that Michael Jackson fucked me-- and I didn't get paid for it!'"

Clearly, Mr. Price was communicating from beyond the grave.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smiles777
Abba Zabba

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiles777     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But note the wording: "Vincent channeled the ill feelings about his own mistreatment into a joke: 'All I can say is that Michael Jackson fucked me-- and I didn't get paid for it!'"

Clearly, Mr. Price was communicating from beyond the grave.

[lol] snopes, yer killin me!
(that was slick) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"There's just something a little extra noble in protecting the person who's standing behind you telling you you're wrong all the time."
First of Two

Posts: 82 | From: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages