snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Lorne Greene

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lorne Greene
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: according to this web page:

http://www.jesuitnola.org/upload/clark/lkfacts.htm

Lorne Greene had one of his nipples bitten off by an alligator while he
was host of "Lorne Greene's Wild Kingdom."

Another related rumor is that nipples will grow back, if bitten off.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are at least a couple of others on that same page that "we" know to be untrue.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The one that surprised me most was the one about the pasta swastikas - someone made a YTMND out of that, and I couldn't believe that it was real... [Eek!]

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:
The one that surprised me most was the one about the pasta swastikas - someone made a YTMND out of that, and I couldn't believe that it was real... [Eek!]

Cool, because it isn't real

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:

Cool, because it isn't real
...but there was a kid in Minneapolis who, during lunch on June 5, 1944, mysteriously found the words "OMAHA" and "OVERLORD" in his bowl of Alphabetti Spaghetti.

ETA-We return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of Lorne Greene's nipples.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:

ETA-We return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of Lorne Greene's nipples.

Can't we talk about mine instead? [Eek!]

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by robbiev427
Can't we talk about mine instead?

Sure! So, robbie, how the ol' nips doin'? Doin' good? Yeah? Play Tron with 'em lately? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...but there was a kid in Minneapolis who, during lunch on June 5, 1944, mysteriously found the words "OMAHA" and "OVERLORD" in his bowl of Alphabetti Spaghetti.
Reminds me of....

"Oh my God, Brian! There's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says 'OOOO'!"

"Peter, those are Cheerios."

5 easy points for reference.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Family Guy.

--------------------

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:
quote:
posted by robbiev427
Can't we talk about mine instead?

Sure! So, robbie, how the ol' nips doin'? Doin' good? Yeah? Play Tron with 'em lately? [Big Grin]
I've tried, but I can't seem to push the "fire" button with 'em. Course, after a few seconds of trying, I don't care any more. [Big Grin]

Robbiev -oh, was I doing something else a second ago?- 427

--------------------

2ys4u

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, candy from Ron Mexico, that was fast!

Here ya go- 5 points, signed, sealed & delivered.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lorne Greene didn't host "Wild Kingdom." He was the host of the shows "Last of the Wild" and "Lorne Greene's New Wilderness."
On "Last of the Wild" he only did narration though and was never around the animals.
He was around animals on his other show but there is no mention of him being attacked.
The only mention I can find of him having his nipple bitten off is sites that say it happened while he was the host of "Wild Kingdom."
Since he was never the host of that show I'd say that it probably didn't happen.

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Close, but no.

Lorne Greene did have his nipple bitten off, but it wasn't by an angry alligator, it was during a particularly vicious spat on the set of Bonanza, and Pernell Roberts was the guilty party accused of nipping off the Greene nipple. No one quite knows what the spat was about, but it's believed to have involved Roberts toupee and an unnapreciated game of "hair frisbee"

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 104 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:
Close, but no.

Lorne Greene did have his nipple bitten off, but it wasn't by an angry alligator, it was during a particularly vicious spat on the set of Bonanza, and Pernell Roberts was the guilty party accused of nipping off the Greene nipple. No one quite knows what the spat was about, but it's believed to have involved Roberts toupee and an unnapreciated game of "hair frisbee"

[lol] "Hair frisbee" You (or someone) OMANK. Trying to eat my lunch at work. Now I have to get the Windex.

I can just see the headline. "Roberts bites Greene nipple in hair dispute." There's a joke in there somewhere. [Roll Eyes]

It sounds more like some sort of kinky role-play.

Like Michael Landon once said, "There were no women on Bonanza. The Cartwright boys were NOT gay, but thank God Hop Sing was."

Robbiev -green nipples? I think they have a shot that cures that now- 427

--------------------

candycane from strangers

quote:
posted by 2ys4u
Wow, candy from Ron Mexico, that was fast!

Dern tootin' it was fast! When it comes to Family Guy I don't mess around [Big Grin]

ETA: Thanks for the points [Smile]

--------------------

Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lorne Greene did sing a mean version of Ghost Riders in the Sky (and several other songs).

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One anecdote site gives the source of the alligaor story as Time but does not provide the issue number.

For openers, there never was a show called " "Lorne Greene's Wild Kingdom." There was a show called Lorne Greene's New Wilderness. and one called Last of the Wild.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it actually be possible for an alligator to bite off just a nipple? Pretty talented (and considerate) alligator.
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages