snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Velvet Underground offered free counseling?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Velvet Underground offered free counseling?
Gezal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Gezal   E-mail Gezal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reading this site about the origins of punk rock:

http://www.fastnbulbous.com/punk.htm

This made me laugh:

quote:
After firing Warhol, who understandably preferred more artificial dwellings, they recorded the relentlessly abrasive White Light/White Heat in 1968, featuring the epic "Sister Ray," an unprecedented orgy of squalling noise. After pushing their sound to particularly unbearable limits at a club housing a psychiatrist convention, the band members were offered free counseling.
Then I thought it may not be true. How likely does it seem that an outragous rock band and a psychiatric convention would end up in the same club?

[ 21. February 2006, 03:08 PM:   snopes ]

Posts: 30 | From: Missoula, Montana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gezal:
How likely does it seem that an outragous rock band and a psychiatric convention would end up in the same club?

My first thoughts were: How often are psychiatrists completely unaware of current trends in music and how often do they offer "free counselling" to anyone?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard Lou Reed was in and out of therapy long before that. I've never heard this particular story, though. My vote is for false, as I've never heard it in any book or article about the band. They did get kicked out of a club once for playing "Black Angel's Death Song," apparently.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The same site has this line:

"Reed's urban-realist lyrics had less in common with Bob Dylan and Joan Baez, and more with La Monte Young's avant-garde experiment in dissonance."

Notwithstanding from the strained comparison of lyrics with music, I suspect that the writer isn't very familiar with LaMonte Young's music. A typical example: his work for organ which consists of just two non-dissonant notes B and F# and the instructions "to be held for a long time."

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hillary K., fair and balanced
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hillary K., fair and balanced   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hillary K., fair and balanced   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Believe it or not, the story is true. My sister would know more details.

Hillary "see her screen name" K.

--------------------
"See that there is evil, and know that there is good."

Love can conquer anything. (for HR)

Home of the dynasty

Posts: 342 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gezal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gezal   E-mail Gezal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hillary,

Do you mean that your sister was there?

Posts: 30 | From: Missoula, Montana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hillary, no offense but did she give you any of those precious details or did she just tell you "it's true"? Can you provide any details about your sister that would help corroborate? (For example, is her name Maureen Tucker? ETA - or is her "screen name" Sister Ray? Hey, don't we have a Sister Ray here at esnopes?)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. That's Hillary's sister.

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Aha! See, I'm not as dumb as I look... Well, okay, maybe I am. Anyway, I definitely would like to know more details.
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:

Notwithstanding from the strained comparison of lyrics with music, I suspect that the writer isn't very familiar with LaMonte Young's music. A typical example: his work for organ which consists of just two non-dissonant notes B and F# and the instructions "to be held for a long time."

VU violist John Cale played with La Monte Young.

quote:
Cale played in La Monte Young's ensemble the Theater of Eternal Music (also known as the Dream Syndicate, which should not be confused with the 1980s band of the same name). The heavily drone-laden music he played there proved to be a big influence in his work with his next group, the Velvet Underground.
There is a lot of drones used by Cale in the VU but I wouldn't say the music is similar.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
...the relentlessly abrasive White Light/White Heat in 1968,

This bit isn't true. It's probably my favourite VU albums and is in nowise 'relentlessly abrasive.'

Goodness knows!

Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archangel:
This bit isn't true. It's probably my favourite VU albums and is in nowise 'relentlessly abrasive.'

You might have to adjust for the time, though. Don't forget that when the Sex Pistols first came out their music was slated as being tuneless noise and as horribly violent and abrasive. Listen to it now. It's positively light and fluffy compared to even some MOR rock/soft metal.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of true. One of the band's first gigs was playing for some therapists. But this was at the beginning of their career, so the time is wrong.

Sister "never heard the part about the free therapy before though" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IronChefBenjata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronChefBenjata   Author's Homepage   E-mail IronChefBenjata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
January 13, 1966
Delmonico's Hotel, New York City
Annual Dinner of the New York Society for Clinical Psychiatry

Review of the show -
http://members.aol.com/olandem4/revilive.html#delmonico

"just like sister ray said"

--------------------
GLOBO-CHEM, We own everything, so you don't have to...

Posts: 9 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Then I thought it may not be true. How likely does it seem that an outragous rock band and a psychiatric convention would end up in the same club?

I remember a news story where the L.A. Lakers (with Shaq), the touring cast of Sesame Stree Live, and shock-rock group Marilyn Manson were all snowed in at the same hotel during a blizzard.

They supposedly all hung out together at the hotel bar.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gezal

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Gezal   E-mail Gezal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg of Winter:
remember a news story where the L.A. Lakers (with Shaq), the touring cast of Sesame Stree Live, and shock-rock group Marilyn Manson were all snowed in at the same hotel during a blizzard.

They supposedly all hung out together at the hotel bar.

[Big Grin]
Wouldn't it be funny if the trucks looked the same and they went on to the next gig and the Sesame Street People ended up with the Maryilyn Manson stage props and vice-versa?

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jon Koncak (then the Orlando Magic's center) sums it up: "Remember the bar scene from Star Wars with all the animals [aliens?]? That's what it looked like last night. It was the Twilight Zone, man. A bunch of basketball players, Sesame Street, and some guy with green hair dressed like the Grim Reaper, chain-smoking."

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not an Underground fan, but I downloaded "Sister Ray" to hear what the fuss is about...

DEAR GOD, PEOPLE!! I don't know what disturbs me more, the fact that that's a song, or that there's actually a melody in there somewhere! :-)

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:
I'm not an Underground fan, but I downloaded "Sister Ray" to hear what the fuss is about...

DEAR GOD, PEOPLE!! I don't know what disturbs me more, the fact that that's a song, or that there's actually a melody in there somewhere! :-)

Ah "Sister Ray", over 17 minutes and pretty much all of it on one chord... brilliant, but probably not the best introduction [Smile]

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably blasphemous to say, but I'd love to hear a version that wasn't distorted! (I don't know why this bothered me so much, because I've listened to a lot worse... the 12 minute take of "Helter Skelter", for example.)

I have a feeling that somewhere up above, Lester Bangs is looking down upon me and shaking his head in disgust...

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:

Ah "Sister Ray", over 17 minutes and pretty much all of it on one chord... brilliant, but probably not the best introduction [Smile]
No indeed! My intro to the VU was the "Loaded" album, which I still recommend highly. It's quite a bit more mainstream than the others, but that just makes it a good gateway to them IMO. I've heard Lou Reed refer to it as not really representative of what the band was about...but with only four albums, none of which has much in common with any of the others, I'm not sure "representative" exists.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages