snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Johnny Carson's beard

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Johnny Carson's beard
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I had heard that sometime in the late 70's or 80's after a short hiatus
from the Tonight Show, Johnny Carson had grown a moustache or beard during
his vacation. When the show resumed taping he decided not to shave and
appeared on-air with his new look. The viewing public didn't like it and
as a result, his ratings slipped significantly, essentially forcing him to
shave.

I have been told this is one of the reasons why news anchors and talk show
host rarely have facial hair; that it lessens credibility and trust in the
public eye. Is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny Carson's Beard - On 2/4/85 Johnny Carson returned to NBC's THE TONIGHT SHOW sporting a gray beard he grew while on vacation. However, he only kept it for a week. On the Lincoln's birthday telecast (2/12/85), he commented he didn't think it advisable to appear in a theater with a beard.

TV Acres

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the beard, but do not recall any audience reactions.

Maybe it is getting confused with an earlier incident?

Original Airdate: 09-25-1978
Host: STEVE MARTIN

BURT REYNOLDS - They discuss: His Photoplay Award, shaves off half his moustache and surveys which the audience prefers.

The official Tonight Show website

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if people didn't like it, I doubt it would have caused his ratings to drop significantly. Carson was extremely popular, and in the late 70's and early 80's there weren't many alternatives to network shows.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
German late night show host Harald Schmidt, after a year's sabbatical, had grown a full beard, causing consternation and dislike, too. He then shaved. Whether this is a cause-effect-relationship I don't know though. But Schmidt can get away with anything, I think. His beard, as well as a new haircut a few years ago, made the headlines of all the major tabloids for days (the political newspapers only made it three articles or so).

That being said, if today you rarely see moustaches on TV I'd say the reason is, that they're not stylish anymore. You see less beards everywhere. An interesting statistic I just read shows the amount of moustached players in the German Fußballbundesliga (first soccer division) drop from approximately 50% to a mere 0 right now (last moustached player left a few years ago).

Ulko "shaved his full beard off in 1993, too" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages