snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » George Reeves, not bullet-proof

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: George Reeves, not bullet-proof
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: have you heard about the time George Reeves was making a public
appearance and one of the fans shows up with a rifle.
As the story goes George cooly went up to him and said something along the
lines of "not here the ricochet may hurt someone". The man then laid down
the weapon or put it back in his car and is then subdued.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first saw the title of this post, I thought it would be referring to this classic UL of Reeves' alleged suicide. There are, or course, many stories out there (didn't find any specific ones on Snopes' main site) about kids who were injured after tying a red towel to their shirts and jumping off the roof thinking that they could fly. The OP seems to have merged these two tales.

Logic would dictate that if Reeeves had an encounter with a fan who was unable to distinguish the character from the actor, that he would have told the man, "I'm not really Superman." The only reasons I can see for him not doing that are a)his contractual obligations prevented him from breaking character, even at the most dire times; or b)Reeves thought (or knew) it to be a joke and played along.

I am intrigued, however, by the Superman curse and wonder if Snopes has ever discussed it.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Logic would dictate that if Reeeves had an encounter with a fan who was unable to distinguish the character from the actor, that he would have told the man, "I'm not really Superman."
But that's the whole point of the anecdote told in the OP -- logic would not necessarily dictate that you try to negotiate with a crazy person in a straightforward manner.

Rather than taking the logical approach of saying "I'm not really Superman" (which would work on an ordinary person but not necessarily on someone too deluded to distinguish between an actor playing a role, a fictional character, and a real person), this tale has George Reeves quickly coming up with a clever alternate solution that defused the situation without having to rely on the fan's questionable ability to deal with issues of identity and reality.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages