snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Title sequences at the end of movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Title sequences at the end of movies
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed that it's increasingly common to have no opening credits in a movie, but to shift them to the end. Is there a reason for this? It doesn't ruin the movie for me, but it does get a bit annoying to keep thinking, "Now who is that guy?" only to have to wait until after the film to find out.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot depends upon the film, and the contracts the cast and crew have. For example, a director who is a member of the DGA is contractually entitled to have his/her name on a separate card on the last frame before the movie begins (source).

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yuu have to give credit to people working on movies nowadays. The various unions and guilds in Hollywood demand that credit be givin. I suppose you don't have to put them at the start, but I assume you have to put them at the ending unless the people request to not be credited.

ETA: Darn it spanked. Anglelrdr explained it alot better too.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And if you sit through all the credits at the end of a movie, sometimes you get an extra bit of movie afterwards, so that's why I always stick around. [Wink]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nappy Solo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So here is a question on this subject: When TBS or somebody on Network TV runs the credits at the end of a movie, they compress them to the edge and run them so fast that nobody could even attempt to read them. If that just so they have met some requirement that the best boy, gaffer, caterer, etc. are being credited? I stay for credits at the end of a movie as well. Sometimes they throw in something funny, or worthwhile.

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I would imagine is that when a television network purchases the rights to air a program, they agree to show the titles that were done for the cinematic release, but are allowed to do so in a compresssed time period, since most films plus commercials plus credits would overrun the 2 hours generally allotted for them.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hold on -- are we talking about credits, or titles?

There are some movies, Batman Begins to give a recent example, that don't even give the title of the movie until the end. Apocalypse Now is another classic example.

Then there are movies that give the title up front, but no credits. Star Wars is the most familiar example, though it wasn't the first.

Both of these are done for specific reasons: to prevent the viewer from dwelling on the fact that they're watching a movie. There are no actors -- that's really Han Solo!

Beyond that, you've got the old-fashioned front credits (including Ralph the Wonder Llama) versus the end credits more typical today.

Let's clarify our terms.

Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
George Lucas quit the directors guild over this issue. None of the Star Wars movies have opening credits.

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
Hold on -- are we talking about credits, or titles?

There are some movies, Batman Begins to give a recent example, that don't even give the title of the movie until the end. Apocalypse Now is another classic example.

Then there are movies that give the title up front, but no credits. Star Wars is the most familiar example, though it wasn't the first.

Both of these are done for specific reasons: to prevent the viewer from dwelling on the fact that they're watching a movie. There are no actors -- that's really Han Solo!

Beyond that, you've got the old-fashioned front credits (including Ralph the Wonder Llama) versus the end credits more typical today.

Let's clarify our terms.

Titles are the slides at the beginning and/or end of a film which give credit to those who worked on it.

So, the terms are often used interchangeably.

--------------------

Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I'm aware of that. The question is, which are we talking about? The Star Wars, The Matrix, or The Abyss type, or the more extreme Apocalypse Now or Robocop 2 style?

Or does it matter, since none have any indication of the cast at the start of the movie whatsoever?

Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
Yes, I'm aware of that. The question is, which are we talking about? The Star Wars, The Matrix, or The Abyss type, or the more extreme Apocalypse Now or Robocop 2 style?

Or does it matter, since none have any indication of the cast at the start of the movie whatsoever?

Well, that is a much different question. To which I will give my original response: it depends.

--------------------

TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nappy Solo:
So here is a question on this subject: When TBS or somebody on Network TV runs the credits at the end of a movie, they compress them to the edge and run them so fast that nobody could even attempt to read them. If that just so they have met some requirement that the best boy, gaffer, caterer, etc. are being credited? I stay for credits at the end of a movie as well. Sometimes they throw in something funny, or worthwhile.

I think it's just to annoy people. [Razz]

Actually the quick run is probably because airtime is too vaulable to run the credits in 'realtime'.

If they can squeeze 5 minutes of credits into a minute, they have an extra block of ads they can sell. It also allows for a bit less of the movie to be edited out.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting tidbit:

When Episode II showed on Imax, they ran the entire credits, but spaced it out ALL ACROSS the screen, and faded it in and out instead of scrolled it, so that it was a total of like 7 or 8 screens worth, and took about 45 seconds.

Now that's some good end titlin'.

Since, they've made Imax stock thinner, and are able to squeeze out a few more minutes per reel, and probably show it more normal-like.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
A lot depends upon the film, and the contracts the cast and crew have. For example, a director who is a member of the DGA is contractually entitled to have his/her name on a separate card on the last frame before the movie begins (source).

Untrue. That is the rule, but the rule can be waived by request. (See this -- under "Waivers"). It's routinely allowed if no individual is given a credit at the start of the film; the director's name must be the first title after the end of the film. The recent Good Night and Good Luck, as an example, did not have director's credit until the end.

Lucas was fined for putting Irvin Kirshner's name at the end of The Empire Strikes Back. He paid the fine (pocket change from what the movie made him) and the DGA changed their rules to allow this sort of display.

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Uhm, okay. Waivers can be given to the rule, on that I stand corrected.

What I cited is not "untrue," however.

--------------------

Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had a few, but it was in a sequence before the movie, which is fantasy anyway. And then it segued into machines making chocolate, for quite a while before you saw a person. It was pretty seamless - I liked it.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SJActress
Eagle Opportunity Employer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SJActress   E-mail SJActress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All's I can tell you is that if you need to guess an actor's pay, check to see if their name comes before or after the title of the movie.
Before: Got way too much friggin' money.
After: Still got way too much friggin' money.

Oh, whoops. Nevermind.

--------------------
This is not actually how I sign my name.

Posts: 6 | From: Houston,TX | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages