snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Tom Cruise plans on breastfeeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tom Cruise plans on breastfeeding
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: What's up with the talk of Tom Cruise planning to nurse his
baby?!?!? A search of "Tom Cruise" on your site turned up nothing about
this.

"Rumor has it that father to be Tom Cruise has been frightening other
expectant fathers with his tales of male nursing. Tom has been reportedly
telling others that they can and should take part in nursing their babies.
He also shared how he looks forward to doing so once his first child with
fiancee Katie Holmes is born this coming spring."

As seen on: http://www.hipmama.com/node/16973

A Google search on "Male Nursing" provided the following:
http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscarticles/milkmen.html
http://www.babycenter.com/expert/baby/babybreastfeed/8824.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This goes into the I hope it's true but probably not file. Is a good scientologist allowed to take hormones? They are mood altering after all.

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, maybe they consider hormones similar to vitamins? I don't know, but it would be interesting to watch Tom Cruise breastfeed. Especially if he did it while jumping on a couch and electrifying Oprah.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if he'll spin the baby around like he did the bottles in Cocktail. [fish]

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MonJul
Eagle Opportunity Employer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MonJul   E-mail MonJul   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just wondering what will happen if Katie Holmes get a bad case of post-partum depression!
Posts: 10 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm guessing he plans to do it without hormones, by pure willpower or somesuch.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, the mental pictures, THE MENTAL PICTURES!

I really didn't need to picture Tommy trying to breastfeed while jumping up and down on Oprah's couch....but I did.

Oh, just stop me now...

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While my husband David had no interest in nursing our son, we both were intrigued with the idea. We had just had our first unassisted homebirth and were excited about applying our positive thinking techniques to other aspects of our lives. Although Raphael had written about milk production through nipple stimulation, perhaps, we thought, David could do it simply through suggestion. He began telling himself that he would lactate, and within a week, one of his breasts swelled up and milk began dripping out. When we excitedly showed my father (a physician) David's breast he said, "Obviously there's something physiologically wrong with David." The fact that David had willed himself to do this, did not impress him. We knew, however, that this was yet another example of the power of the mind.
Forgive me for being cynical but is such a thing possible? Even with hormones?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I sort of thought that the male breast (for lack of a better word) didn't have the proper equipment internally. Milk ducts and such. I know some babies, male and female, lactate shortly after birth (called "witch's milk" by the superstitious), but it isn't really milk- its leftover mommy hormones.

My husband was involved in nursing our kids. Once in a while, he'd bring me the baby because I was too tired to get up after spending months waking up in the middle of the night. Bear in mind, he did so if he A. happened to be awake; B. if I asked him to, and C. if he was already walking in that direction. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read some of the articles on male nursing previously. It has happened, without hormones. In those cases, the men were allowing the babies to suckle at them continuously for hours at a time over the course of days. One case listed was a ship's officer at sea caring for a baby that had lost it's mother. Another more recent case was post-tsunami, where a man explained his wife had been swept away and he'd been letting the baby suckle him for comfort. In neither case did the man expect anything to come of it, only to comfort the child. However, men do have the necessary equipment and it seems constant stimulation sometimes kicks in a normally dormant ability.

It was also mentioned male goats may develop udders, and that there is a species of bat where the males routinely nurse babies.

It's pretty cool, even if it does bend our normal expectations.

Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I clicked into this thread expecting to make a wise-crack. I figured is was intended in the spirit of "We are pregnant," or "We are planning to breastfeed." Little did I know...

It does bear thinking about though, that any milk coming from a male would perhaps have a different make-up. Would different hormones cause different development in a baby? I'm speaking from my vast experience with babies (I've never even held one!) so this may be a dumb question.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Too... difficult.... to... resist... must... mind....language.....

GO!

Since Tom Cruise is such a NFBSK why doesn't he give birth to it as well???

Carry on.

Hans

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Something
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Something   Author's Homepage   E-mail Something   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
Too... difficult.... to... resist... must... mind....language.....

GO!

Since Tom Cruise is such a NFBSK why doesn't he give birth to it as well???

Carry on.

Hans

YOMANK!

--------------------
If I'm not here, it's because I'm out.

Posts: 198 | From: Northern California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Scientologists did not believe in breastfeeding at all. They use a special kind of formula called Barley formula.

From a Scientology Handbook:
quote:
Breast feeding babies may have a nostalgic background, particularly to a Freudian oriented medico, but real breast milk again is usually a poor ration. Modern mothers smoke and sometimes drink. Smoking makes the milk very musty. Anyway, a nervous modern mother just can't deliver the right ration. Maybe it's the pace of the times or the breed, but there are few modern Guernsey-type mothers. So even without drinking or smoking, one should forget breast feeding.

The foremost reason a baby doesn't do well is poor rations. And to remedy that, here is a formula one can use:

15 ounces of barley water
10 ounces of homogenized milk
3 ounces of corn syrup (As the Romans had honey, 2 ounces of honey may be used instead of corn syrup, if desired. Do not use lactose [a sugar found in milk, used in infant foods] as a substitute.) The amount of syrup should be varied - depending on the baby - some like it weak - some take it stronger.

Honey!! Honey for babies is a botulism risk. They also say homogenized milk ONLY, not pasteurized.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
L. Ron's take on traditional baby formula:
quote:
The prepared food used today is guaranteed to upset a baby. It is a
powdered mess one is supposed to dissolve in water and feed to the baby.

If you ever tasted it, you would agree with the baby. It's terrible.

More than that, it is total carbohydrate and does not contain the
protein necessary to make tissue and bone. It only makes fat. When you
see one of these bloated, white, modern babies, know that it is being
fed exactly on the doctor's orders: a diet of mixed milk powder, glucose
and water, total carbohydrate.

I would think if modern formula was unable to build bones we'd know that by now! [Smile]

How he came up with his special formula:
quote:
I recalled all my dietary and endocrine studies that 1 studied
in those places the reporters have now agreed I never attended.

Actually I recalled further than that. Roman troops marched on barley.
Barley is the highest protein content cereal. And from a deep past I
called up a formula.

So, apparently he recalled the formula from his days in ancient Rome.

--------------------
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I've always filed it away as a UL, but I have heard of guys that "sympathetically" lactated. But it was usually not much more than a few drops.
ETA: Here's a claim that the father did it all with his mind. But most of what I Googled mentions hormones.
As for the rest of what I've found by typing "men+lactation".....I need brain bleach. [Eek!]

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the current issue of Scientific American Jan 06 the cover article was about how motherhood makes women smarter. Anyway, one of the things mentioned was how the hormones of a new father change. This included, I think, a rise in prolactin. Not nearly as high as mom's but enough to get him all ga ga about the baby. I could see how in some guys this might lead to lactation.

I read tons about induced lactation in preparation for my adoption (I'm sorry if I'm making everything about my baby, I didn't intend to be one of those mothers but this is kind of relevant.) He'd need to pump and there is a drug used for GI matters that has a side effect of producing milk in some people (including men). Domperidone works best but you're not supposed to be able to get it in the US. Reglan has the same effect. Neither is a hormone but depression is a side effect.

It will be just one more reason for me to not like Tom Cruise if he manages to induce lactation when I could not.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's so unusual? Lots of husbands nurse when their wives are lactating.... Oh! Nevermind! [fish]
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Ms. K

I really didn't need to picture Tommy trying to breastfeed while jumping up and down on Oprah's couch....but I did.

Oh, just stop me now...

You know the clip of Tom shooting lightning at Oprah? I just imagined that but instead of shooting lightning from his hands he was shooting milk at her. Shall I order us both a family sized bucket of brain bleach?

edited for spelling

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading this whole thread, *I* need a family sized bucket of brain bleach just for me!! [Eek!]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about milk coming out of my hubby's nippled (ew) but he did stick the bottle of formula through his tank/shirt and fed my son from the side...LMAO funny pics
Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay Aud! You're 'it'...Tag!
You get the job of answering all that stuff, since you come online before me. I'll just sit quietly over here in the corner, because your post pretty much says what I was going to say[and have in the past said]

Marry "phew" ya

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Breast feeding babies may have a nostalgic background, particularly to a Freudian oriented medico
"Medico"? Who does this man think he is, Alex DeLarge?

Blue "Bleedin' bezoomny" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I know my newborn twins *wish* I could lactate, because when I hold them to me they start looking for nipples, but that's all on Mommy. Or Rose of Sharon. (Pt for ref.)
So let me get this straight - L. Ron Hubbard came up with a formula for babies, and it's a crazy ass formula with barley and honey and NFSBK? Boy, those Scientolgists, they better look out. People might start thinking they're crazy or something.

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Not only did he come up with a formula for babies containing harmful ingredient while using bad science, but he claimed he traveled back to ancient Rome to get it!

--------------------
MyBandwagon

Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rose of Sharon? Easy. Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

(Do I get the point?)

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is yours, o wise one.

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

It is yours, o wise one.

--------------------
- Magnolia

Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since you double posted, do I get two? [Smile]

I meant to comment on the topic at hand as well, but I didn't want anyone beating me to the punch.

As I understand it, the state of medicine as it pertains to inducing lactation in men is...well, not where it could be, if we were to put into it the kind of national interest and unlimited funding that we pour into, say, the war on terror. There have been reported incidents of success, but as someone's sig line once read, "the plural of anecdote is not 'data.'" What we really need is for more men to step forward to volunteer as subjects in this emerging field. And Tom Cruise seems like just the nut for the job.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:
quote:
posted by Ms. K

Oh, just stop me now...

You know the clip of Tom shooting lightning at Oprah? I just imagined that but instead of shooting lightning from his hands he was shooting milk at her. Shall I order us both a family sized bucket of brain bleach?

edited for spelling

Oh my Jesus jumped-up Christ.

Yeah, order that family-sized bucket of brain bleach. In fact, make it a double.

Ms. 'way more mental pictures, oh, the humanity' K

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
heavenlycreature
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heavenlycreature         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom breastfeeding a pillow....now that's an image I can't quite get out of my head.
Posts: 5 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pms
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pms   E-mail pms   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope the baby bites him.

--------------------
If I cant be good example let me be a horrible lesson.

Posts: 14 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages