snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Hostel:Based on Actual Events?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hostel:Based on Actual Events?
KidIcarus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidIcarus   E-mail KidIcarus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey guys, first time poster here. I recently saw the commercials for the horror flick Hostel. It claims it was based on actual events. Director Eli Roth (so the story goes) was online and discovered a website (I think it was Thai) were you could pay to kill someone. My question is, do such websites where you could pay an amount of money to kill a person actually exist?
Posts: 3 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard of the guy, but from this site he sounds like one of those guys who would say or do anything to promote a film. You know the type. In the past, we've even had people sign up here and ask questions about some upcoming film, in a thinly-disguised way of generating interest.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KidIcarus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidIcarus   E-mail KidIcarus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
Never heard of the guy, but from this site he sounds like one of those guys who would say or do anything to promote a film. You know the type. In the past, we've even had people sign up here and ask questions about some upcoming film, in a thinly-disguised way of generating interest.

Actually I do. I got a few friends who work for Columbia and they have plenty of stories of certain promenant film people, but that's a different story. [Smile]

I asked mainly because I found it hard to believe such a site would exist, at least a serious site. But you never know, there's alot of disturbing stuff out there, so I thought I'd ask to see if there was any truth to it.

BTW I wasn't trying to get any excitement over the film or to promote it, just curious if there was any truth to the story, that's all. [Smile]

Posts: 3 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KidIcarus:
Hey guys, first time poster here. I recently saw the commercials for the horror flick Hostel. It claims it was based on actual events. Director Eli Roth (so the story goes) was online and discovered a website (I think it was Thai) were you could pay to kill someone. My question is, do such websites where you could pay an amount of money to kill a person actually exist?

Well, the trailer says Hostel is "inspired by real events." That's not even "based on real events," which, to me, is still a pretty tenuous link to any sort of reality.

The movie's IMDB entry states that Eli Roth and Quentin Tarantino found a website that promised torture vacations, but neither of them bothered to find out if it was a real site.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0450278/

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If there was such a site, it most likely would show actors being killed if a request was made. Real enough for sickos, but not really real, like fake snuff films. I think if there were a site like that and it made money without any problems, we would see a lot more popping up, or at least hear more about them.

ETA that this is just MHO.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Roth and Tarantino were on some morning talk show. Roth said that he found a site, and later showed it to Tarantino, where supposedly you could pay x dollars to go into a room and shoot someone. Supposedly this operation was being run out of Thailand. Roth and Tarantino doubted it was real, but the idea sparked their interest. Note that the page they found involved shooting someone, not torturing them; that was Tarantino and Roth's invention (I gathered, from the interview, that Tarantino was more involved in the writing process than the film's promotional material is crediting him for).
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dookie_booty
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dookie_booty   E-mail dookie_booty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'mquite interested in seeing this movie. I'm quite a big fan of horror movies but haven't seen any of the recent horror movies cause they seem too lightweight or whatever. But, I'm quite intrigued to see Hostel, just to see what the hype is. I don't really know if it's based or inspired by actual events. Haven't seen that in the trailers.

--------------------
Don't blame me, my evil monkey did it.
-----------------
Just remember, When everything seems difficult, I'll be shining from a far, When it feels like things have gone away, I'll see you again.

Posts: 130 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Belletrist
Deck the Malls

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Belletrist   E-mail Belletrist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sites like that are probably for amusement purposes only, like websites such as "Hunting for Bambi", "Bonsai Kitten", "Ron's Angels" or "Landover Baptist". Granted, I have never seen the website that Eli Roth visited, but I would think that if such a business existed, it would not be easily found on the Internet by Harry Knowles (unless someone else sent Knowles the link). Chances are that a website advertising a genuine "murder vacation" for $10,000 would have its address given out in secret to a select few "trusted" individuals, with a password code and what not, because of the fear that someone would report it to the proper authorities.

Roth said that the website "claimed that in Thailand the practice was perfectly legal, as the victims were participating of their own free will," and "[t]hey were desolate, poverty-stricken people whose families were starving to death. By way of their self-sacrifice, they would make enough money for their loved ones to survive." I doubt a real website would try to sell any potential killers a sob story to make their consciences feel better. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
There's no sense beating a dead horse- but if you've reached the point where you even seriously consider that abusing a dead animal might improve your lot in life, I say go ahead and give it a shot. --Anthony Myers

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mean to un-UL gossip about a movie, but I thought this movie was remake about "based on true events" killers (I think a family of them?) in Australia. Is that something else that hasn't come out yet?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Resurrection Joe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Resurrection Joe   E-mail Resurrection Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think TrishDaDish is referring to Wolf Creek
Posts: 19 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to have two or three different movies in mind. Wolf Creek is one of them, but I was also screwing up Wolf Creek as a remake of The Hills Have Eyes.

We now return you to the discussion on Hostel...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Link to interview with Eli Roth
If the link stops working, I will try to find another. This is from the January 5 episode of Attack of the Show on G4TV (firmerly "Tech TV". I watched the interview when it was on and he does talk about the origin of the movie.

ETA- you will probably have to sit through am advert before being able to view the clip...sorry ahead of time [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like Hostel is using every trick in the book to promote their film, including the elusive "based/inspired on real events". Of course, their commercials warn us that paramedics had to be called in for preview screenings. Like I've never heard that one before...
[Roll Eyes]
Lindi

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Blair Witch anyone? I mean, if it says it's true, it must be, right?

"Paramedics had to be called..." Puh-leez. I know of a haunted house where people go in, but don't come out. My friend's cousin went to it last halloween and when he came out his hair had turned white! And his friend came out babbling! It was so scary it drove him crazy!!!111!!!eleventy one!!!

Not trying to sound snarky, but if you buy that I've got a beach house in Arizona that's for sale.

Okay, so maybe someone with a pre-existing health problem had a problem and they had to call an ambulance, and the promotors decided to capitalize on the poor person's unfortunate problem. That I'd buy. But paramedics called because of the movie? Right.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CultOfBob
It's Snow Joke

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CultOfBob     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Ice:

Roth said that the website "claimed that in Thailand the practice was perfectly legal, as the victims were participating of their own free will," and "[t]hey were desolate, poverty-stricken people whose families were starving to death. By way of their self-sacrifice, they would make enough money for their loved ones to survive." I doubt a real website would try to sell any potential killers a sob story to make their consciences feel better. [Roll Eyes]

Gah, this film was done already with Johnny Depp:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118768/plotsummary

--------------------
-For Rent-

Posts: 37 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And some of will never see Depp's movie. [Frown] I don't know the exact reason, but I recall reading somewhere (Entertainment Weekly, I think) that Depp refuses to have it released in the U.S. (Neither in theaters or on video.)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

ChickMarie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChickMarie   E-mail ChickMarie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lindiglo:
It seems like Hostel is using every trick in the book to promote their film, including the elusive "based/inspired on real events". Of course, their commercials warn us that paramedics had to be called in for preview screenings. Like I've never heard that one before...
[Roll Eyes]
Lindi

Considering that Tarantino and Roth both like to pay tribute to the movies they enjoy, I was thinking that the paramedics ploy was a nod to the older movies that did that sort of thing. I never thought it was meant seriously.

Kel

Posts: 306 | From: Palmdale, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages