snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » "Napoleon Dynamite" and another transsexual rumor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Napoleon Dynamite" and another transsexual rumor
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 201 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently there is a rumor that the beautiful Shondrella Avery of Napolean Dynamite fame (she played LaFawnduh) is actually a transsexual. I came across this at the IMDB message boards on her page.

She doesn't look like she has one trace of masculinity to her, IMO.

[ 28. December 2005, 09:15 PM:   snopes ]

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that was one of the jokes for the movie--the dorky kid gets hooked up with a transexual. I absolutely saw alot of masculinity in the character.

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well of course she's a transsexual, she was taller than him. Did you see how tall she was? Like 6 feet, that's gotta be a dude! /End sarcasm

If I'd have to say any lady in that movie seemed a bit man-like I'd say Starla. And it's not just because of the muscles. No offense to the actress, I'm not saying she's a huge butch man or anything, I'm just saying that if I had to pick one, it would be her. That still doesn't sound nice. Sorry, Starla, just my $.02.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
200 siblings?!?!

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CultOfBob
It's Snow Joke

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CultOfBob     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by animal73:
200 siblings?!?!

That was the part I was going to pick on. [Eek!]

--------------------
-For Rent-

Posts: 37 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of them were foster children. I was a little startled at first [Eek!]

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MrEleganza
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrEleganza   Author's Homepage   E-mail MrEleganza   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also thought LaFawnduh was a TS when I first laid eyes on her. Then she started speaking and it became clear she was not.

quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: The Masquerade:

She doesn't look like she has one trace of masculinity to her, IMO.

Not to get glurgy, but isn't it great about humanity that two people can look at the exact same thing and yet come out of it with polar opposite impressions?

--------------------
"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." -Malachy McCourt

Posts: 85 | From: Newark, Delaware | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one factor is the way she appears in the movie -- It would have been an easy plot twist to make her one. So I was expecting that too. But that movie wasn't the kind to take predictable twists. (I don't think she looks masculine. It was the storyline and her juxtaposition with the extremely effeminate male character that made it seem plausible.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Wan Kenobi
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Wan Kenobi   E-mail Holly Wan Kenobi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Similar subject - did anyone else think the picture Napoleon had of his "girlfriend" was him in drag?

--------------------
Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon

Posts: 155 | From: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Umm nope. It was one of the sample photos Deb gave him when she was seeling the photo/makeovers door to door.

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Wan Kenobi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Wan Kenobi   E-mail Holly Wan Kenobi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
yeah, I know it was one of the sample photos, I only saw the movie like a hundred times. The question was does anyone think that photo looks like Napoleon in drag.

--------------------
Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon

Posts: 155 | From: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, umm, nope. Sorry...

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MrEleganza
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrEleganza   Author's Homepage   E-mail MrEleganza   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Holly Wan Kenobi:
yeah, I know it was one of the sample photos, I only saw the movie like a hundred times. The question was does anyone think that photo looks like Napoleon in drag.

Why you didn't throw in a "Gosh!" after "a hundred times," I'll never know. [Razz]

--------------------
"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." -Malachy McCourt

Posts: 85 | From: Newark, Delaware | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that she was a transsexual, when I first saw the film, too. For me, it was the broad shoulders and big hands that did it.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
I thought that she was a transsexual, when I first saw the film, too. For me, it was the broad shoulders and big hands that did it.

"...she had MAN HANDS!"-Seinfield

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muskrat Monroe
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muskrat Monroe   E-mail Muskrat Monroe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was totally expecting the "she's a transexual" plot twist too, and other people- including my thirteen year old brother- that I've discussed the movie with have mentioned that they expected that too. It's pretty amazing how many people made that assumption.

--------------------
Someday I'll aquire wisdom, but for now, being a wise-ass will have to do.

Posts: 90 | From: the Michigan/Ohio border | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
an Em Dash of sugar
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for an Em Dash of sugar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. My DB immediately picked on LaFawnduh's "masculine" features when he saw the movie, and it was the first thing he asked me about when I got around to watching it. I didn't notice it at all.

I'm also surprised at how ubiquitous this idea apparently is.

Posts: 1251 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mom thought the exact same thing, and was convinced for a while that there was going to be a 'twist' at the end.

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But many still have the tell-tale adam's apple. Unless that can be changed with plastic surgery, her neck wouldn't look so flat.

--------------------

candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen plastic surgery shows that showed male-to-female transgenders getting their Adam's Apple "shaved" to have a feminine neck. I'm quite surprised how many people have thought this. Maybe I never saw it because I'd seen Shondrella before and knew she was a woman.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too thought she was a dude for a short while, not just because of her height and large hands and feet but also because she looks just a bit too "done up" when she first comes off the bus, much like your stereotypical drag queen. I wouldn't be surprised if the filmmakers wanted us to make that mistake, but the funny-but-sweet thing about Kip and LaFawnduh is that they seem completely mismatched, both physically and culturally, but instead they're perfect for each other. "I'm 100% sure she's my soul mate."

ND has a whole lotta gender bending going on. I know I can't be the only one who suspects that Grandma's a dyke. "Boyfriend," indeed.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The actress who plays her was on I love the 80s 3D, and she didn't seem very masculine then. Maybe that was just an act, I don't really know cuz I can't remember much of the movie.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buzzkiller:
I wouldn't be surprised if the filmmakers wanted us to make that mistake, but the funny-but-sweet thing about Kip and LaFawnduh is that they seem completely mismatched, both physically and culturally, but instead they're perfect for each other.

I agree. I totally expected things to go horribly wrong for the pair of them throughout the film but, instead, they seem to like each other more and more.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing I can't get over is that Starla is played by an actual woman. I had always assumed that she had to be a dude--no doubt whatsoever--until this thread prompted me to do a little googling. I am stunned...although, as my daughter pointed out, it just goes to show what steroids will do to a person.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:
I've seen plastic surgery shows that showed male-to-female transgenders getting their Adam's Apple "shaved" to have a feminine neck. I'm quite surprised how many people have thought this. Maybe I never saw it because I'd seen Shondrella before and knew she was a woman.

Women have Adam's apples too, it's just not usually as prominent... It can be prominent in women however. There is also at least one endocrine disease that causes prominence of the Adam's apple in women.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages