snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Raul Julia's eyeball

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Raul Julia's eyeball
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 16 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Well, this isn't exactly a rumor that's new to me, but I'm newly trying to
prove the veracity. I seem to remember reading a squib in the newspaper in
the early '90s about how Raul Julia was on a talk show and either popped
an eyeball out onstage or told a story about doing it elsewhere. I
mentioned the story in passing to a friend of mine, and now naturally,
it's on.

Help me out here. Am I remembering wrong, remembering an urban legend, or
what?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me incredibly naive on this, but did the late great Mr. Julia have a glass eye or are they talking about where a person can make it look like their eye is popping out of it's socket?

Trish "Paging Sammy Davis, Jr.!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Well, this isn't exactly a rumor that's new to me, but I'm newly trying to
prove the veracity. I seem to remember reading a squib in the newspaper in
the early '90s about how Raul Julia was on a talk show and either popped
an eyeball out onstage or told a story about doing it elsewhere. I
mentioned the story in passing to a friend of mine, and now naturally,
it's on.

Help me out here. Am I remembering wrong, remembering an urban legend, or
what?

I recall seeing that interview (or an interview) with Raul Julia. He did indeed share a story about his eye "popping out" of its socket, and losing a day of shooting because the eye turned red and irritated.

I want to say that it was on the Arsenio Hall show during the time when one of "The Addams Family" movies was being promoted. But, my memory could be faulty...

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't believe Mr. Julia had a glass eye - but I could be wrong. He did have protruding eyes, beautiful dark dramatic protruding eyes.

According to this site:

quote:
Sometimes when I yawn, the pressure increases in my head so much that I'm afraid my eyeballs are going to pop out. I squeeze my eyelids shut tight, but I can still feel my eyeballs in there, trying to get out. It's like my eyes are like two pregnant snails, squeezing to give birth.

This happened once to Raul Julia. He said so on Letterman. They just popped out, and he had to push them back in again--his eyes.

...but I would hardly call that definitive. Even if he did say something like that "on Letterman" he might have been joking.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turning_Turning
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turning_Turning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't eyeballs held in by their muscles, much less the optic nerve? I'm a bit doubtful of this, because your eyes can't spontaneously drop/pop out. Maybe it's something to do with skull structure-but I'm getting too medical here.
Posts: 24 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
caligulathegod
Miso Horny

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caligulathegod     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Turning_Turning:
Aren't eyeballs held in by their muscles, much less the optic nerve? I'm a bit doubtful of this, because your eyes can't spontaneously drop/pop out. Maybe it's something to do with skull structure-but I'm getting too medical here.

Tell that to this woman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Goodman
 -
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=52680
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?file=content_pages/video.asp?videoid=100193

Posts: 12 | From: Grove City, OH | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BJ_Sturgeon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJ_Sturgeon   E-mail BJ_Sturgeon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also a well circulated story about wrestler Stan Hansen making opponent Vader's eye pop out of it's socket after a stiff punch. This seems to be the match in question with the actual moment edited out.
Posts: 21 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages