snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » CRAZY Chappelle theory

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CRAZY Chappelle theory
Shaftoe
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Shaftoe   E-mail Shaftoe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi! First post, longtime Snopes lover.

So this website has been floating around that purports to have the "truth" about Dave Chappelle's premature ending of his series. It's... outlandish, but it very boldy asserts some very drastic claims. Anyway,

www.chappelletheory.com

Whaddaya think?

[ 21. December 2005, 06:12 PM:   snopes ]

Posts: 3 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't he back in 06 with a new season?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly new, according to the article I read:
quote:
Dave Chappelle is back on Comedy Central — well, kind of. The wildly popular comedian, who last spring walked off his show just weeks before its season premiere, will be on view in four episodes' worth of sketches he filmed before his startling exit, the cable channel announced today.
Seaboe

ETA exactly

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that theory would make Oliver Stone dizzy. Although, I'll admit, it is pretty well constructed.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang. It doesn't look to have any wild leaps of logic like so many theories, but of course, there is no proof.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shaftoe
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaftoe   E-mail Shaftoe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^^ Precisely why I posted it here. Hoping the ultimate web researchers might throw their two cents in.
Posts: 3 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beckalina
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckalina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow, this has to be a joke.

Of course, if it is, that means that someone put time, money, and effort into an elaborate joke. If it isn't, that means someone put time, money, and effort into concocting an elaborate theory.

I can't decide which is worse.

ETA: Started to look into some of the claims made in the Timeline section, the VooDoo Doll in particular.

quote:
As told by Dave himself, at around noon, in the middle of an early season Cincinnati Reds game, there was a knock at his door. Chappelle was a bit concerned, as no one except his close family and friends were aware of where he was.

When he opened the door, all he found was a crudely wrapped package, with the inscription "For Chappelle" on it.

Inside the package was a voodoo-doll style replica of Chappelle dressed as Clayton Bigsby — the African American Klansman from his first show. The doll was riddled with safety pins, and had a noose tied sharply around his neck. Accompanying the doll was a message in a childlike scrawl that read, "what you're doing is hurting the African American community — it needs to stop."

If Dave himself has talked about it, then there should be other sources, and considering his fame, said sources should be readily available. I searched both Yahoo and Google and found nothing even close, except for someone's blog denouncing the website and its claims as fake.

Personally, I'm ruling hoax. Very thought out and well put together, but fake nonetheless.

--------------------
Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change.

Posts: 41 | From: West Central Ohio (Wee. Farms.) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
this guy must've researched very carefully. Putting a timeline on this theory really makes it risky. All we have to do now is find one inaccuracy in a daily story and this theory might be questionable.

Now if only i had the energy...

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, but as soon as I see the words "secret cabal" my BS detector goes into full alert.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole website reads like a Dave Chappelle sketch.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steph
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steph   E-mail Steph   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading the entire theory, I feel that there is WAY too much dialogue to have been "overheard" or "reported" by anyone. The time line is written in a generally black bias styling and is too coincidental in it's dialogue to be true. Also, why would Dave Chappelle not tell his wife that Oprah and her thugs where in their bedroom, but later tell other people? Without proof, it lay a mystery. But I feel that anyone with COMMON SENSE can assume that this one person cannot possibly know (by chance) all the waiters, diners, associates, and goons involved in this story. Well written, obviously a fake in my eyes.
Posts: 56 | From: Sturgis, MI | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CultOfBob
It's Snow Joke

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CultOfBob     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.chappelletheory.com/next/

Its promotion for a film. It’s pretty obvious if you read the whole thing. The person has pretty much created a theory based entirely on the shows episodes which link the "Dark Crusaders" together.

One thing that did bother me whilst reading the theory was that things would happen to Dave, for example the threats from Oprah on March 10th and then on March 24th he mocks Oprah on his show, seem to be pretty unlikely as the show would be filmed well in advance of their air date. Other than that the story is an entertaining read.

quote:
Universal Studios presents, written by Neal Brennan, starring Charlie Murphy, also starring Greer Barnes, directed by Tamra Davis, from the production companies of Marobru Inc. and Pilot Boy Productions.
From the page souce for the website.

--------------------
-For Rent-

Posts: 37 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steph
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steph   E-mail Steph   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The story was a very entertaining read. I do have a problem with the film though. Has anyone been able to open the trailer? Has anyone been able to open the interview? Has anyone heard that this movie was being made? I was unable to open either of the links and I have not heard one iota of this up and coming film.. Some films get promoted forever it seems. I am willing to bet that is fake as well.
Posts: 56 | From: Sturgis, MI | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steph
I Saw Three Shipments

After checking around I have been unable to find anything on this movie. Boxofficeprophets.com has nothing listed under it either.
Steph
I Saw Three Shipments

Could someone delete my CRAZY repeat? Total accidental. Sorry
dookie_booty
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dookie_booty   E-mail dookie_booty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This guy has alot of time on his hands. Very elaborate scenario on his theory. How did he get all the info he says in the site? He has like a lot of info and stories in Chappelle's story and personal life leading up to him cancelling the show.

--------------------
Don't blame me, my evil monkey did it.
-----------------
Just remember, When everything seems difficult, I'll be shining from a far, When it feels like things have gone away, I'll see you again.

Posts: 130 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interesting story... uh, theory. Did Chappelle write this?

ETA D'oh! Disclaimer

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blfz70
Shmammy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blfz70   Author's Homepage   E-mail blfz70   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mnotr2:
Very interesting story... uh, theory. Did Chappelle write this?

ETA D'oh! Disclaimer

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was gonna mention that. That was the first thing I saw on that site. I had to go ahead and read it. There was a pic of Oprah Winfrey with a sign reading Stevie Wonder is Next. Whatever that means.
Posts: 90 | From: Wylie, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoeverine
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoeverine   E-mail Shoeverine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.cosbytheory.com
Posts: 52 | From: Brisbane, QLD, Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously fake, but pretty well-written. I wondered if the writer was trying to be a...I can't remember the term...an undependable narrator or something. If you take it as really being written by someone who knew what was going on, you (or at least I) would decide that most likely Chappelle was crazy, even though the narrator seems to believe him. Cute Cosby spoof. I always thought there was something creepy about those sweaters.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Cole
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Cole   E-mail Michael Cole   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the topic, I thought that this was going to be about a certain female Australian drug smuggler...

(Aussies will get it)

--------------------
Q. What's the difference between a Computer saleman and a Used Car Salesman?
A. The Used Car Salesman knows when he is lying.

Posts: 421 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages