snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Songs are faster on radio?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Songs are faster on radio?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have been arguing with my girlfriend for about a month now about a myth
she heard that radio stations play songs at a faster tempo than on the CD
you buy. I keep telling her this can't be because if you increase the
speed of the song the pitch will increase and it will sound different.
Plus, I don't see how they could do it without everyone noticing. I think
a songs tempo is a crucial part of it and fans would know if it was too
fast.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
three words: buy a stopwatch. time a song. time it on the CD. See if there is a difference.

Ok, so that's more like 6 words.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's true. The technique is called "time compression": it is quite easy to change the tempo of the song without affecting the pitch. The reason why they do it is mostly for commercials: a song that clocks in at 3:20 fits awkwardly in a slot where they have to have 3 commercial spots (which are measured in :15 increments); the same song at 3:15 would fit in better.

Interestingly enough, it's not always the radio station that does this: often the record companies will deliver special time-compressed mixes to help promote the single better.

Can the audience hear it? Sometimes. Remember also that in addition to time compression, the songs you hear on the radio have a great deal of amplitude compression (inherent in the methods used to broadcast songs over the airwaves) and equalization (especially lowering off the bass frequencies) added as well. With all this processing, the notching up of a tempo (via time compression) from 120 bpm to 122 bpm becomes fairly insignificant.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is editing software that will compress/expand audio, which doesn't result in a pitch shift.

Essentially, to shorten, what it does is remove bits of data here and there throughout the track. The idea is that the missing info is in small enough pieces that you don't notice it.

It works incredibly well, especially if you're just trying to shorten something slightly. A 4-5 minute song compressed 3 or 4 seconds would be virtually unnoticable.

And over the course of a day, if every song is shortened 3 or 4 seconds, that could add up to a decent amount of extra ad time.

I don't know one way or another if this is an actual practice, but it is definitely possible to edit songs to make them shorter, without a dramatic difference in sound.

To hear an extreme example of this, listen to car commercials on the radio (or any ad where they have to put in a disclaimer). The legalese is sometimes compressed (that is, recorded at a normal speed, then processed), so they've got more time for the spot. I've heard disclaimers on some car commercials that were dang near incomprehensible.

(The opposite, by the way, expanding audio, isn't quite as easy to do without significant distortion, but it can lead to a pretty funny-sounding effect; it makes people sound like they're stoned out of their minds. Like they're talking "reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly ssssslooooooooooow, maaaaaaaaaannnnn.")

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Porky
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porky   E-mail Porky   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With some songs on the radio the increased speed is noticable. Especially if you are used to hearing the song on CD.

--------------------
A peasant becomes fond of his pig and is glad to salt away its pork. What is significant, and is so difficult for the urban stranger to understand, is that the two statements are connected by an and not by a but.

Posts: 7 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I definately heard a difference if i played a song on a portable cd player and a alarm radio that had a cd player, which the portable was reasonably faster. But i didn't hear a difference in pitch, though. I also notice it on the radio, of course, with no pitch difference.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porky:
With some songs on the radio the increased speed is noticable. Especially if you are used to hearing the song on CD.

I've really noticed the effect with the songs that I have memorized from thousands of playings on CD. So I try to sing along when it comes on the radio and it doesn't quite go. I guess I never realized what the difference was... Before it just sounded "not quite right" on the radio.

Lil'Molly

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, I know that many songs in the radio here are different versions from the CD version anyway, apparently to make you still buy the single even though you already own the album. Maybe this accounts for some of the differences mentioned? Having been subject to a family member who actually owns, amongst other stuff, "gravity protected wiring" (whatever that actually may do... I asked and it increased some XYZ-Clarity rating blah blah) in his stereo and claims to hear the difference, I may be overly careful about noticing small differences, but maybe sometimes it's just a "different song" at all (of course that can easily be combined, make those radio versions suit the time slots and so on)

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChickMarie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChickMarie   E-mail ChickMarie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband is a longtime radio guy and, yes, it's done on lots of stations. He hates it so he steers clear of doing it. I can never tell the difference but I don't listen to much new stuff anyway. He can always hear it on other stations and it drives him nuts.
Posts: 306 | From: Palmdale, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:

(The opposite, by the way, expanding audio, isn't quite as easy to do without significant distortion, but it can lead to a pretty funny-sounding effect; it makes people sound like they're stoned out of their minds. Like they're talking "reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly ssssslooooooooooow, maaaaaaaaaannnnn.")

For a fun (and artistically extreme) example of this, check out Leif Inge's work 9 Beet Stretch, which consists of Beethoven's 9th Symphony time-expanded to last 24 hours.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is done with digital video, as well. Nick at Nite started implementing time compression in October of 2001, and the Game Show Network also uses it. The pacing difference, while slight, is still noticeable and a little unsettling. It's all about creating more room for ad revenues, which has a lot of fans of classic shows ticked off.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For a fun (and artistically extreme) example of this, check out Leif Inge's work 9 Beet Stretch, which consists of Beethoven's 9th Symphony time-expanded to last 24 hours.
That is, by far, one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alicia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alicia   Author's Homepage   E-mail alicia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
how funny! i haven't really listened to the radio in years, but i noticed this a long time ago when i used to listen to tapes in the car a lot, but i just assumed my tapes were sort of stretched out and just played slower! (which is probably true anyway, but still.)
Posts: 131 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
This is done with digital video, as well. Nick at Nite started implementing time compression in October of 2001, and the Game Show Network also uses it. The pacing difference, while slight, is still noticeable and a little unsettling. It's all about creating more room for ad revenues, which has a lot of fans of classic shows ticked off.

The alternatives, however, are

1) Delete parts of shows (which is what most networks use - watch M*A*S*H on the Hallmark Channel to see how choppy this gets)

2) Run the old shows at their full length with the newer, expanded commercial breaks, and let them end where they end. BBC America does this out of necessity, and their half hour shows run for 40 minutes. They have to schedule three such programs before they get synched up on the hour again (and just try catching the beginning of the two shows in the middle without watching an entire two hour block).

3) Go back to 70's era commercial break lengths (and see how long a network can keep this up before it alienates its stock holders and/or goes broke).

buf '10 pounds of program in a five pound bag' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As many people have said, it is easy to compress a song without affecting the pitch, especially since much of the number crunching needed already exists in modern audio compression algorithms based on Fourier transforms (MP3 for instance). These break down the sound in simple waveforms and stores it in a table with lots of records somewhat like "play X Hz from time Y to Z". Just change the Y & Z and you have your compression. Much simplified of course.

Even if you just play it faster, the pitch shift is barely noticeable. I have a Denon CD player that can change replay rate 10% in either direction, and you have to go quite a bit out on that scale before you hear it. After a couple of minutes, you don't even hear a 10% shift anymore, as the brain has got used to it.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ulkomaalainen:
By the way, I know that many songs in the radio here are different versions from the CD version anyway, apparently to make you still buy the single even though you already own the album. Maybe this accounts for some of the differences mentioned? Having been subject to a family member who actually owns, amongst other stuff, "gravity protected wiring" (whatever that actually may do... I asked and it increased some XYZ-Clarity rating blah blah) in his stereo and claims to hear the difference, I may be overly careful about noticing small differences, but maybe sometimes it's just a "different song" at all (of course that can easily be combined, make those radio versions suit the time slots and so on)

Sometimes that is the case. We will get both the album version and the single edit and there can be as much as a minute or as few as just a few seconds difference in the two versions.. The music servises do this especailly with rock songs that can also be played on top forty radko. We have both a rock station and a top forty station in our cluster. As you can guess the shorter version gets played on our top forty station. As was mentiond earlier the songs we get already come time compressed but we could easily do it ourselves with cool edit. The other reason and the main one you hear a different version on the radio is because of content. Some songs especially urban and some rock have to have different versions for radio simply because of language. If you tried to play an unedited eminem song. The uncut version of "My Humps" by the black eyed peas. or that awful song "Laffy Taffy" by d4l which I unortunatly had to add this week to the rotation. You would at the very least get a hefy fine and possibly lose the licence. There are sone songs that I have to edit even more after we get them from our music service because you can still make out the word. Some rock bands have to be edited for content too. Green Day likes to drop the F bomb once in every song so we get edited coppies of those songs. So to a certain extent you'll hear a different version for time compression but most of the time the alternate version is for content.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been said by several people above me that songs can be compressed without affecting pitch — what if the pitch is changed, however? There's one station out of Decatur, Ill., where I noticed a pitch shift of about a half-step up on some, but not all, of their songs. I'm having to assume the reason the pitch would be changed at all would be because they're using time-compression techniques, but could there be another reason, or are they just doing it badly, or what? Because it drives me insane to hear songs in a completely different pitch.

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, back in the days of vinyl, I was flipping through the stations on my car radio and the same song was playing on two stations, one of them a top 40 station. The version on the top 40 station definitely had a higher pitch.

Another thing I hate is when some stations will delete parts of songs that they feel are too long. One station here absolutely butchers such songs as "Beginnings" by Chicago, and "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" by CSN&Y. The songs are about half as long as they should be.

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve s:
Another thing I hate is when some stations will delete parts of songs that they feel are too long. One station here absolutely butchers such songs as "Beginnings" by Chicago, and "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" by CSN&Y. The songs are about half as long as they should be.

Steve S. [/QB]

My boss always "suggests" that the music director on our rock station play the short version of songs when we have the option. The main reason this is done is to get more commercails in. What drive me nuts is that we play the short version of the Who "Who Are You". yet we'll play the full version of Dire Straits "Money for Nothing". and then turn around and play the short version of "Twilight Zone" by Golden Earing. I say if your going to shorten songs at least be concistant and do it with all of them and not just some.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve s:

There exists an edited version of American Pie. Less than four minutes, I believe.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not even worth it to play a short version of "American Pie."

The edit I really hate is "My Sharona." Call me crazy, but I love that song, and I love that guitar solo. What really bothers me is that different stations will edit the solo in different ways, so I might hear a different version of the solo, think "Sweet! They're going to play the full-length version!" and am sorely disappointed when I find it's just been hacked into different pieces than what I'm used to.

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
quote:
That is, by far, one of the strangest things I've ever seen.
Not editing, thus a slight highjack, but in a chapel in the German town of Halberstadt there's a concert going on of John Cage's "Organ² / As Slow As Possible". It started back in 2001 and is expected to last until 2640. So if you find your time, come on over and listen in.

Ulko "in a hurry" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
radiochicky
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 602 posted      Profile for radiochicky   Author's Homepage   E-mail radiochicky   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't come out and say you are wrong, b/c there seems to be some radio folks commenting on this.

I will say that perhaps it is a U.S. Radio thing, because I have NEVER EVER heard such a thing in all my experience.

Very odd, indeed.

And commercials are measured in 15 sec?

Interesting....again, I'd say that such a blanket statement like "all radio stations...." only expands a myth.

It ain't true everywhere!! :-)

Posts: 29 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I owned a nightclub for years and let me just say that vinyl ain't dead, all dance and most rock and pop songs are available in multiple versions. There will be the true dance mix, the radio mix and the album mix. Different media have different needs. A nightclub DJ needs a more regular BPM (beats per minute) throughout the song than you need in your car. After all he has to match that beat inorder to properly mix in and out of the song. These versions also tend to be different lengths. Generally the shorter version annoys devotees of that particular group/song, BUT the long versions tend to clear the dancefloor by boring most of the audience. We live in a short attention span world; now excuse me while I go read a different thread, this is so 5 minutes ago....

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mabels Folly
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mabels Folly   E-mail Mabels Folly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe.Muffinchucker:

There exists an edited version of American Pie. Less than four minutes, I believe.
Seaboe
[/QUOTE]

Actually the song was divided up into two parts and issued as a double A-sided single back when it first hit the charts in the 1970's.

Radio stations started out playing Side One of the Double A-side, but many switched over to playing the full length album track.

Related to the OP, David Foster Wallace had an article in the Atlantic a few months ago about the goings on at a shock jock/talk radio show and he went into the whole bit about chopping out dead airtime to allow for more commercials. If what Wallace wrote was accurate, it's not as easy to do as some here have posted.

Posts: 54 | From: Brunswick, ME | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody's yet mentioned my idea (therefore, it's probably wrong [Smile] )

Could the shorter versions be due to the DJ talking over the instrumental intros and fading the endings more quickly than the artists intended (in order to get to the next song more quickly)?

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I remember why I gave up listening to the radio, I was gonna kill the next DJ who talked over the opeing of any Beatles song ever again.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bassist:
Could the shorter versions be due to the DJ talking over the instrumental intros and fading the endings more quickly than the artists intended (in order to get to the next song more quickly)?

We're not talking merely about length/duration, but about tempo -- the timing of the beats is actually faster in digitally time-compressed audio.

As to Mabel's post about "chopping dead airtime" (which is different than time compression), it's actually quite easy to do with pre-recorded media. Most high-end recording and production software has an automated command to do just this (in Mark of the Unicorn's Digital Performer it's "Strip Silence"). This is the rapid run-on sentence effect you hear in auto dealers' end-of-commercial legal disclaimers. (Of course, before this technology was available, they had to go to this guy.)

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I used to find that cassette tapes would play faster. Usually, it depended on the quality of the unit I would play it on.

I never really noticed the radio thing. Editing and chops I notice though... and talking over intros and endings. [Mad]

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Hit Parade

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Hit Parade   E-mail The Hit Parade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't listen to much commercial radio, but I have certainly heard it said that one of the biggest stations here in London speeds the songs up. Knowing their playlist, though, it's no bad thing to get them over with faster.

Funnily enough, I've never had that big a problem with DJs talking over outros - but then I think most outros since about 1967 are too long anyway.

PS Vinyl is great!

Posts: 19 | From: Harrow, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nappy Solo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had always heard that the term that radio stations used when asked about this was that they would "sweeten" the sound to make it sound brighter, etc., but it really was to cram in more time as discussed earlier. Worst offender I ever heard was Grand Funk's "Locomotion". I also would rather heard the longer authentic versions of a song (ELO's Roll Over Beethoven), but some stations will only play the butcherd version. What really is a shame is somebody talking over both ends of the song. I guess this is why I switched to XM!

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gezal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gezal   E-mail Gezal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have stacks of old records, 45s and 78s. In these collections there are some records that are on promo labels. These are records that the companies gave to the radio stations for airplay. They say on them; "Promotional copy -- Not For Sale", or something similar. Those labels usually have a white background, different from the more colorful regular issue labels. I wonder if these are in a compressed format to make the song a little shorter or if they are the same pressing with a different label. They were making those separate labels for quite some time -- I have promo records that were pressed in the 1940s. Could they have been using the compression method to make the songs shorter then?
There are some old 78s that say "Not licensed for radio broadcast" or something similar on them. But that had to do with copyright issues, not the format of the song.

Posts: 30 | From: Missoula, Montana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages