snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Films with gimmicks (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Films with gimmicks
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1crazybob:
Does anyone remember Comin' at Ya! ?

NOBODY seems to remember it. It was 1981, and I was 12 at the time, so I hope I have described it correctly.

I remember seeing it. It has become a bit of an ongoing joke in my family. Any movie that forgoes a decent script or quality acting and just relies on a gimmick is known as a "Coming at ya".

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 207 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry if these have been mentioned:

In Ghostworld there is something green in every shot. At one point, Enid is actually wearing green lipstick.

Similarly, in the remake of The Pink Panther the make-up artist who worked on Beyonce (sp?) had her wearing some type of pink make-up (blush, eyeshadow, nailpolish) in every scene.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
crazybob
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazybob   E-mail crazybob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
quote:
Originally posted by 1crazybob:
Does anyone remember Comin' at Ya! ?

NOBODY seems to remember it. It was 1981, and I was 12 at the time, so I hope I have described it correctly.

I remember seeing it. It has become a bit of an ongoing joke in my family. Any movie that forgoes a decent script or quality acting and just relies on a gimmick is known as a "Coming at ya".
Thanks. I almost thought I imagined it.

--------------------
You can observe a lot just by watching.
-Yogi Berra

Posts: 85 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
loki7
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loki7   E-mail loki7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked how, in Gosford Park, Robert Altman had all the actors wearing mikes. It created a beautiful layered sound in which you could listen to the backgroung conversations. Also there was at least one servant in each scene.

It seems this sound set up is used by Altman in several films, beginning with A Wedding.

Posts: 23 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahriman:
MOON CHILD as far as I know the only organised crime
and Vampire movie combined, and it was done as a culmination of a series of Albums by one of he leads. It also starred two of the biggest musical stars in Japan.

Probably a very different movie, but another that combined vampires with organized crime is "Innocent Blood." It starred Anne Parillaud (from La Femme Nikita) as a vampire who, if I recall correctly, only killed criminals. Among her attacks was an organized crime boss played by Robert Loggia. Only he survived her attack, "crossed over," and proceeded to bring his cronies over, too, so they'd be a massive unstoppable crime organization. Don Rickles was also in it.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loyhargil:
Probably a very different movie, but another that combined vampires with organized crime is "Innocent Blood." It starred Anne Parillaud (from La Femme Nikita) as a vampire who, if I recall correctly, only killed criminals.

You do, in fact, recall correctly. [Smile] That was a pretty good movie, I thought.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought of another: the 1967 Wait Until Dark. There was nothing unusual stylistically about the film itself, but during the last 20 minutes or so, the movie theater was darkened to the legal limit to heighten the terror of the climax, which took place in an almost totally darkened apartment.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I just saw a brilliant one this weekend. I went to see the Student Academy Awards at NCSA this weekend, and one of the films was "Knock Knock."

It's hard to describe, but basically there is a split screen. The one on the left runs a split second ahead of the one on the right. So, when something is said on the left, it's immediately repeated on the right.

Got that? Okay, here's the fun part. All of the dialogue is made up of words that are repeated. For example, the characters in the film are "J.J.", "Lulu", and "Zsa Zsa." But, the word is only said once. So, when a character says "Bora" on the left half of the screen, it repeats a second later on the right half, and comes out as "Bora Bora."

Sounds strange, but was actually very clever and funny. It was definitely one of my favorites.

Here's an article on the awards, including a teeny bit about "Knock Knock."

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahdra
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahdra   E-mail Kahdra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mari the Snowperson:
I thought of another: the 1967 Wait Until Dark.

That was the scariest movie I've ever seen. How am supposed to turn off the lights and go to bed now?

Apologies for the hijack.

--------------------
"Science makes everything sound painful, Spongebob." - Sandy

Posts: 225 | From: Salt Lake County, UT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duck 182
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Duck 182   E-mail Duck 182   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the movie that the Monkees made, called Head. Mainly that they didn't show any movie credits or even the film's title until the end of the show.
Posts: 128 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kahdra:
quote:
Originally posted by Mari the Snowperson:
I thought of another: the 1967 Wait Until Dark.

That was the scariest movie I've ever seen.
Hell of a good film. Who knew Alan Arkin could be terrifying?

When my husband and I watched it on TCM I turned off all the lights in the apartment and forbade him to put any on unless it was an emergency.

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I LOVE 'Wait Until Dark'! That's one of my all-time favourites!

And I thought "Head"'s biggest gimmick was it was non-linear and made no sense!

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
faceless007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faceless007   E-mail faceless007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought about Wait Until Dark, but after thinking about it for a while, I wasn't sure it had a real storytelling or visual "gimmick" that fits into this thread. True, the protagonist is blind, but that isn't in and of itself a gimmick. And the climax, while terrifying, is essentially just a trapped woman in a locked room, which is almost a staple of horror movies (but rarely done as well as Wait Until Dark). Her blindness might add to the tension, but it doesn't make the scene really unconventional the way a true gimmick would.
Posts: 940 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Binxi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Binxi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
There was a movie a few years ago called "Run, Lola, Run" which was filmed in real time.

I was going to mention Run Lola Run not for that reason but because of how it repeated the same 20 minutes of "real time" over three times, with slight differences happening each time that change not only her own outcome but that of the people she comes in contact with.
Run Lola Run is one of my favourite movies! I love the way that each time the story is told, she 'remembers' what happened last time and changes her actions accordingly. Can't think of an example at this moment but will try to remember and add later.
Posts: 45 | From: South Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by faceless007:
I thought about Wait Until Dark, but after thinking about it for a while, I wasn't sure it had a real storytelling or visual "gimmick" that fits into this thread.

I guess we're also getting a bit confused as to whether a gimmick is intrinsic to the film or not. Odorama is not *quite* intrinsic, though you'll still see the numeric cues for the card on the film, but do William Castle in-theatre gimmicks like Percepto (the joy-buzzers-in-seat biz for The Tingler) or Emergo (running a skeleton on a wire track in the theatre for the original House on Haunted Hill) count as part of the original poster's question?
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Blair Witch Project has an interesting gimmick: Virtually the entire movie is filmed by the actors themselves.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
***slight hijack***
Wait Until Dark was excellent!!!!!!!!!
I never thought I could be so intrigued by an "old" movie like that....
I remember watching it early one morning around like 7 a.m. when I couldn't sleep, and my boyfriend was snoring like crazy.
(I also am nerdy because I was slightly excited by the fact that they mention Asbury Park, which is close by where I live.)

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
The Blair Witch Project has an interesting gimmick: Virtually the entire movie is filmed by the actors themselves.

It goes further: reportedly the directors only gave the actors bare minimums of direction (ie: "You lost the map") and let them adlib the majority of the dialogue.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarkone68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually those movies were rip-offs of Kurosawa's films Yojimbo and Sanjuro, from what I've heard. I've never seen the Eastwood movies.
Yes, but wasn't Mifune's character named Sanjuro? And, didn't Kurosawa "rip-off" John Ford?

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel as though I should be confessing this to a priest, but in my younger, carefree days, I actually went to see The Green Slime in a theater...and they were selling cups of "green slime" (a concoction compounded of lemon-lime soda and some kind of geloid substance, curiously like icy mucus), and God forgive me...I drank one!

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahriman:
MOON CHILD as far as I know the only organised crime and Vampire movie combined

What about From Dusk Till Dawn?

As imdb says,
quote:
Two Desperado-type brothers and career criminals take a preacher and his two teenage stepchildren hostage and flee to Mexico where they end up at a local strip bar which is populated by vampires.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarkone68:
quote:
Actually those movies were rip-offs of Kurosawa's films Yojimbo and Sanjuro, from what I've heard. I've never seen the Eastwood movies.
Yes, but wasn't Mifune's character named Sanjuro? And, didn't Kurosawa "rip-off" John Ford?
Yes, Mifune's character in Yojimbo and its sequel, Sanjuro, called himself Sanjuro (though, if I remember correctly he makes up the name on the spot).

I suppose films based heavily on cameos like Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World wouldn't be considered an elemental gimmick?

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ratboy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarkone68:
quote:
I definitely wouldn't say that Kurosawa did John Ford rip-offs. Leone took Kurosawa's story (which he had adapted from a Dashiell Hammett novel for Yojimbo) and just changed the setting to make it a Western. Kurosawa only took stylistic inspiration (picture composition, etc.) from John Ford's movies.
Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Guy Named Goo:
quote:
Originally posted by DrFraud:
The Creeping Terror (which features a laughably-bad "alien menace" that looks much like a giant oven mitt) has only two or three lines of spoken dialogue. For the rest of the film, a narrator does a running commentary while the actors go through their paces.

And then, of course, there's The Crying Game, with its transvestite main character.

I am rather ashamed of people lately when I say someone "pulled a Crying Game" and no one gets it. Seriously, where's the love for the classics?

What's worse is when people hear this, but forget it's in the middle of the movie, changing it from a IRA terrorist film to a strange love story. I've seen the movie tons of times (there are only a few movies I love, and that's one of them) and wonder why they forget there was at least 45 minutes of film after the "suprise".

The entire cast of "The Others", except at the very end, are all dead. I won't go into my dirtrabe here where I explain how this makes sense in "The Others" but not "The Sixth Sense".

Sister "long winded" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
faceless007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faceless007   E-mail faceless007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure which is worse--that this film hasn't shown up in the thread after five pages, or that I somehow forgot about it while reading this thread.

IMO, one of the cleverest gimmicks ever put to screen was Adaptation, a film ostensibly about the arduous process of adapting a very literary novel into a movie, and the agony of the screenwriter who tries to do it. But that's only part of the story; there's also the story of the novel itself, and the personal troubles of the writer, and the idea of the writer incorporating his own story into the screenplay, and the film layers all these themes together sort of like a self-referential Mobius strip. The whole third act of the film makes almost no sense on a literal level, but in a weird way, it actually makes perfect sense, given what the film is actually about.

And the film has another level to it when you find out that its premise is real: screenwriter Charlie Kaufman was really hired to adapt The Orchid Thief, and found that he just couldn't do it. So he wrote Adaptation instead, which is about his struggles to adapt the novel. And in the movie, his character decides to do exactly that.

It's hard to describe the gimmick of Adaptation simply, but believe me that it's there.

Posts: 940 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mel Brooks's Silent Movie?

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a movie that came out earlier this year called "Yes" that was written entirely in rhyming couplets. Surprisingly, you get used to it and it's not really off-putting at all. In fact, the form appears to free the director into delivering a longish monologue on germs that, because of the iambic pentameter, absolutely soars. I'm not kidding. This is the kind of movie that makes you feel smart while you're watching it.

Guy Maddin is really big on making films using old-style film stock and sound techniques. "The Saddest Music In The World" is a great example of this. It's set in the 30s, and the production makes it feel as though it was actually made during that time even though it's got Isabella Rosellini and that guy from Kids in the Hall in it.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kind Hearts and Coronets where Sir Alec Guinness played all 7 (8?) heirs standing between the narrator and the fortune.

ki"I shot an arrow into the air/she fell to earth in Berkeley Square"tap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Dead on Arrival" starring Dennis Quaid sees the main character poisoned in the opening scene. He has 24 hours to live. He uses this time to solve his own murder.

"Frequency", also starring DQ, has a father in 1969 talking to his son in 1999 using a ham radio. How they do this is "explained" in the movie. They team up to solve some murders.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but "Nick Of Time" with Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken, was told in real time. I know a few already-mentioned movies have done this, also, but it is one I haven't seen mentioned yet. Also, "Phone Booth" is done in real time for the most part, except for a few flashbacks and a bit near the end where it jumps forward.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Chamber of Horrors, with its "Fear Flasher" and "Horror Horn" at the "Four Supreme Fright Points"?

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't seen this one mentioned, but I think it complies with the topic: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It was made completely on a stage with a green-screen with the only actual props being things that the actors had to touch. Everything else was then inserted via computer. It created a certain tone and texture to the movie that, to me at least, was very unique.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He Said, She Said shows the same story twice: once from the male lead's point of view, and once from the female's. There are two directors, one male and one female, and IIRC, they each directed half the movie.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MovieGuy:
I've never seen it, but Woody Allen's "Melinda and Melinda" sounds rather gimmicky. It tells the same story with the same actors and all but one version is as a comedy and the other as a drama. Again since I haven't seen it, i don't know if the stories run parrallel or if one plays and then the next.

That was my understanding too until seeing this film recently. The gimmick was a little different. In the two stories, only the main character and the set-up is the same--"woman in distress arrives uninvited to a Manhattan dinner party". The two stories each play a little at a time and share some elements but they happen in different ways. The only actor/character in common is the lead, Melinda, and luckily she has a different hairdo in each story so you can keep track more easily. I found the movie fairly enjoyable but think it would have been a better gimmick if it was the way described above.
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarkone68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I definitely wouldn't say that Kurosawa did John Ford rip-offs. Leone took Kurosawa's story (which he had adapted from a Dashiell Hammett novel for Yojimbo) and just changed the setting to make it a Western. Kurosawa only took stylistic inspiration (picture composition, etc.) from John Ford's movies.
I know, it was a joke in reference to Leone ripping of Kurosawa. Would you call The Magnificent Seven a rip-off?

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages