snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Films with gimmicks (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Films with gimmicks
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the movie "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" the characters clothes change color as they walk from one room to another. IIRC, the restroom was white, the dining room was red, and the kitchen was green.

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to mention Ettore Scola's "Le Bal", a movie without dialogues that plays in a small ballroom in Paris over 7 different periods of France's history. The personal drama of the characters (looking for love, meeting, leaving, betraying each other) is made timeless and universal by the everchanging set, costumes and music (History moves, humans remain the same).

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Jazz Singer" starring Al Jolson had a soundtrack. With talking and everything.

"Wizard of Oz" - changed to colour when Dorothy arrives in Oz.

"Schindler's List" was in black & white - except for the little girls' red coat.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Cat Named Easter
Catfish on a Hot Tin Roof

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Cat Named Easter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How surreal. My wife has been bugging me to watch the copy of "De-Lovely" we have from Netflix for weeks. I just watched it last night and read this this morning.

An okay film, but interesting the way "his life flashing before his eyes" was presented as a stage production.

I also got a kick out of the artists singing his music. I almost didn't recognize Elvis Costello.

A Cat ~wasn't much impressed with Alanis~ Named Xmas

--------------------
I am the death that walks the night.
I am the bringer of dreamless sleep.

Posts: 196 | From: Newly relocated to Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For its new approach to narrative, total absence of dialogue, and a groundbreaking relationship between score and cinematography:-

[lol] Has anyone mentioned Koyaanisqatsi? Has anyone mentioned Koyaanisqatsi? Has anyone? Has anyone? Has anyone? Has anyone? Has anyone mentioned Koyaanisqatsi? Has anyone? Has anyone? Has anyone mentioned Koyaanisqatsi? Has anyone? Has anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? [lol]

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 98 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK, Neffti.

Ali "wish I'd posted that" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliBaba:
YOMANK, Neffti.

Ali "wish I'd posted that" Baba

Hurray! I was worried I'd get ticked off for repetition...

It's on my mind because I was lucky enough to see a live performance/screening of this last night.

It's also amazing how stress on busy roads/queues can be eliminated by adopting a high pitch and singing "Bug-ger-bug-ger-bug-ger-bug-ger". This is particularly impressive in groups.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if it qualifies as gimmick filmmaking, but nearly every scene of "Cube" takes place in the same set, with different colored walls.

Another possibility is "Fight Club" which describes Tyler's projectionist antics, and then does the same trick to the film itself. If you look closely, you can spot where David Fincher spliced in some shots of naked men through the movie, Tyler pointing out the Cigarette Burn on the film itself, and the film appearing to burn up during Tyler's "You are not your khakis" speech.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prof. yanaibara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Russian Ark" is a 96-minute-long movie that was filmed in 33 different rooms with 867 actors, more than 1,100 extras, and three live orchestras.

And it was done all in a single take on a single camera, with no editing.

It took over two years of practice before they were confident enough that everything would be perfect and finally filmed it.

--------------------
away...

Posts: 640 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this is done in any other movies, but in The Royal Tenenbaums, all of the main characters wear the same costumes (with slight variations in a few cases) throughout the entire movie. This is not realistic since the movie takes place over a period of several weeks or months (I'm not sure of the exact timeframe). Even in the final scene (which is a funeral), they are wearing the same types of clothing except that the clothes are now black. The most obvious example of this is Chas (Ben Stiller's character) who always wears a jogging suit.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mari the Bookworm:
quote:
Originally posted by Lindiglo:

And what's that Bogart picture, filmed in the first person?

I'm not sure if this is the one you mean, but there was a film based on Raymond Chandler's The Lady in the Lake where the actor playing Marlowe (I think it was Robert Montgomery, not Bogart) is never seen except in reflections, since the entire film is from his point of view. The ads said, "Starring YOU and Robert Montgomery!"

Well that fits the description more than mine, haha. Here's the one I was thinking of: a bit different, same idea.

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarkone68
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about any movie produced by MTV? They seem pretty gimmicky to me.

What about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars? Eastwood's character doesn't have an actual name in any, hence The Man with No Name.

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Corwin
I Am Curious Bluefin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corwin   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if the gimmickry is used for more than one film? If that's acceptable, then I will nominate Yasujiro Ozu's career. Gimmicky features include: lack of moving camera, shots being taken mostly from a straight-on angle with the camera inches from the floor, bizarre, screen-filling medium close-ups of the characters in dialogue scenes, editing continuity being based primarily upon the positions of objects (and colors, in his color films) in frame, rather than the positions of the characters...

--------------------
Then lightning struck... Bad lightning.

Posts: 259 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I nominate What Is It?. The entire cast is people with Down's Syndrome (except for one character).

Trish "What hath Crispin wrought?" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
crazybob
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazybob   E-mail crazybob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone remember Comin' at Ya! ?

It was essentially a vehicle to promote the "latest" 3D technology of full color 3D. Rather than red and blue lens glasses, each side of the glasses was polarized differently. Without the glasses, the movie was just a blur.

The movie was horrible! Every scene was set up to show off 3D effects, that part was pretty neat. I remember jumping a few times, like in the flaming arrows scene.

NOBODY seems to remember it. It was 1981, and I was 12 at the time, so I hope I have described it correctly.

--------------------
You can observe a lot just by watching.
-Yogi Berra

Posts: 85 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1crazybob:
It was essentially a vehicle to promote the "latest" 3D technology of full color 3D. Rather than red and blue lens glasses, each side of the glasses was polarized differently.

Latest? Polarised 3-D was popular in the 1950s!

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
crazybob
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazybob   E-mail crazybob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
quote:
Originally posted by 1crazybob:
It was essentially a vehicle to promote the "latest" 3D technology of full color 3D. Rather than red and blue lens glasses, each side of the glasses was polarized differently.

Latest? Polarised 3-D was popular in the 1950s!
Hence the quotes. That's what they advertised it as at the time...

How would one find a list of such movies?

--------------------
You can observe a lot just by watching.
-Yogi Berra

Posts: 85 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Edwin Land's biography listed serveral.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarkone68:
How about any movie produced by MTV? They seem pretty gimmicky to me.

What about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dollars? Eastwood's character doesn't have an actual name in any, hence The Man with No Name.

Actually those movies were rip-offs of Kurosawa's films Yojimbo and Sanjuro, from what I've heard. I've never seen the Eastwood movies.

Has anyone mentioned Fantasia? That one seems to obvious.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izunya
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izunya   E-mail Izunya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, Dark City didn't use typical studio lighting. The sets are lit by ordinary lightbulbs, streetlights, etc, giving most of the movie an interestingly shadowed look. (As far as I could tell, IMDB doesn't have anything to say about this, so I could be wrong.) It's also astonishingly free of product placement for a modern movie, which makes thematic sense as well as being a welcome change.

Izunya

Posts: 138 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ratboy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Illuminatus:

Another possibility is "Fight Club" which describes Tyler's projectionist antics, and then does the same trick to the film itself. If you look closely, you can spot where David Fincher spliced in some shots of naked men through the movie

The spliced in picture of a penis is only seen at the very end of the movie. In the earlier half of the movie, it's pictures of Tyler that are spliced in.
Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ahriman
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahriman   E-mail Ahriman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MOON CHILD as far as I know the only organised crime
and Vampire movie combined, and it was done as a culmination of a series of Albums by one of he leads. It also starred two of the biggest musical stars in Japan.

--------------------
-Sir, the rebels are here.
My god do they want tea?-

Posts: 27 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about "The Nightmare Before Christmas"? Sure I've seen other horror movies based at various times of the year but I've never seen such a cross-over between holidays before. Its a great marketing gimick since it could draw crowds from October through December. Even now it sometimes airs for both holidays (Halloween and Christmas) on television. I wouldn't be surprised if rentals of the movie also followed this trend. Isn't it great to have a seasonal movie that spans a quarter of the year?

ETA: I'd also like to add "Santa Claus". The version that was mocked my MST. It was sort of a Santa vs Satan odd theology, creepy mythology film (with horible sterotypes).

There was also a Holiday short "Christmas Snow". I still don't know what that's about but my dad makes us all watch it every year. It has Santa and cocaine in it and I'm not sure what its supposed to mean. I think its saying Santa will come beat your ass if you do drugs but I'm not sure. Although I must admit the whole thing is about Christmas Snow... its just the meaning of the term keeps changing. My dad thinks its sentimental or important or something. If you haven't seen it I can't really explain it. BTW, my dad loves all obscure or odd films. He's the one that gave me a tape of the original "Wicker Man" (not the strangely edited version that's commonly out there)... as well as many other films I've actualy watched but can't even begin to guess on what the point, plot, reason for the film might be.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wish You Were Her:
quote:

Another possibility is "Fight Club" which describes Tyler's projectionist antics, and then does the same trick to the film itself. If you look closely, you can spot where David Fincher spliced in some shots of naked men through the movie

The spliced in picture of a penis is only seen at the very end of the movie. In the earlier half of the movie, it's pictures of Tyler that are spliced in.
The male genitalia is in the first half. When Tyler's occupation is being described, it's not meant to be subliminal though.

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, Wallace and Gromit movies/shorts must have gimmicks. [Smile]
In "The Wrong Trousers", Feathers McGraw, the criminal penguin, grows almost imperceptibly taller throughout the movie. Apparently this was done to make him gradually more menacing. As if that was necessary.

Page "It's you!" Three

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Regina Felangie:
quote:
Originally posted by Wish You Were Her:
quote:

The male genitalia is in the first half. When Tyler's occupation is being described, it's not meant to be subliminal though.
I don't remember exactly when it appears (I think right after Jack is being stitched up in the hospital.) But it definately shows up more than once.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mari the Bookworm:
quote:

And what's that Bogart picture, filmed in the first person?

I'm not sure if this is the one you mean, but there was a film based on Raymond Chandler's The Lady in the Lake where the actor playing Marlowe (I think it was Robert Montgomery, not Bogart) is never seen except in reflections, since the entire film is from his point of view. The ads said, "Starring YOU and Robert Montgomery!"

Well that fits the description more than mine, haha. Here's the one I was thinking of: a bit different, same idea.
It's been a long time since I saw Dark Passage, but IIRC, it's only the in the early scenes that the protagonist's face isn't seen except in mirrors. He then has plastic surgery and looks like the familiar Bogart from then on, and the camera resumes its usual "third person" POV.

Regarding De-Lovely--the gimmick of Porter's "life as a musical number" was anticipated in 1979's All That Jazz, where the Bob Fosse-like character imagines his death as a musical number to the tune of "Bye Bye Love" ("Bye Bye Life"), and he sees his ex-wives, old lovers, etc. in a chorus line.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MovieGuy
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MovieGuy   E-mail MovieGuy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen it, but Woody Allen's "Melinda and Melinda" sounds rather gimmicky. It tells the same story with the same actors and all but one version is as a comedy and the other as a drama. Again since I haven't seen it, i don't know if the stories run parrallel or if one plays and then the next.
Posts: 21 | From: Carteret, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Moulin Rouge, which is a musical where all of the songs were made up of lyrics/titles from songs from the 1980s and 1990s, when the film itself is set in the late 1800s. (I love the rendition of "Show Must Go On".) Also, sticking with Baz Luhrman, there's Romeo + Juliet, which sets Romeo and Juliet in the 1990s but uses the entire original script of the play.

Someone mentioned The Royal Tenenbaums, but missed a lot of important stylistic things in it that were very interesting. First, there are several hundred interesting visual cues in the movie. So many, that the DVD comes with a map of the layouts of the various sets and points them out to you, including that Gweneth Paltrow's character smokes a brand of Irish cigarettes that were discontinued in the 1970s and tied to the cord in the board game closet is a green Monopoly hotel (hotels are red and houses are green in Monopoly). Also, all of the clothing, aside from remaining continuous throughout the film (with only one change during a funeral scene), is from the 1970s. The principal cast doesn't have anything that existed after the 1970s in their homes, and all of the music is from the 1970s...but said funeral scene says that the actions in the movie take place in 2001, and everyone around them is dressed appropriately for the times.

Some interesting things from TV rather than movies: there's an episode of the show Tales from the Crypt that stars Humphrey Bogart posthumously. It's set entirely from his POV, with only a glimpse of Bogart shown in mirrors. Humphrey Bogart is given starring credits for the episode.

Also, on the DVDs for the cartoon Invader ZIM, the only subtitle option (and this bothered me, as I am hard of hearing, but the closed captioning still works) is Irken, the alien language made up for the show.

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sabrina_Fairchild

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabrina_Fairchild   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sabrina_Fairchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I can think of that might be gimmicky that hasn't been mentioned was "Carwash". I guess that might be gimmicky because it's set all in one day.

--------------------
As heard on "Street Smarts":
Q: Chicago has 2 professional baseball teams. The Cubs and....what is the other one? Hint: It's something you probably don't wear a lot.

Girl: Underwear?

Posts: 178 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
an Em Dash of sugar
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for an Em Dash of sugar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Punch-Drunk Love has a gimmick similar to that of Tenenbaums mentioned earlier. Adam Sandler and Emily Watson's characters wear the same outfits through the whole movie -- his is blue, hers is red. I don't remember if the supporting characters wear the same outfits, though (there are very few of them anyway).

In general, there are a lot of color-related "gimmicks" (if you want to call them that) in that movie. Most of the sets are starkly devoid of color, so the bright outfits stand out. A notable exception is one scene in a grocery store where everything is sorted by the color of their labels/packaging.

Posts: 1251 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrFraud
We Three Blings

Icon 214 posted      Profile for DrFraud     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Creeping Terror (which features a laughably-bad "alien menace" that looks much like a giant oven mitt) has only two or three lines of spoken dialogue. For the rest of the film, a narrator does a running commentary while the actors go through their paces.

And then, of course, there's The Crying Game, with its transvestite main character.

--------------------
"Danger is a good teacher, and makes apt scholars. So are disgrace, defeat, exposure to immediate scorn and laughter."
- William Hazlitt; _Table-Talk: Essays On Men And Manners_

Posts: 1055 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DrFraud:
The Creeping Terror (which features a laughably-bad "alien menace" that looks much like a giant oven mitt) has only two or three lines of spoken dialogue. For the rest of the film, a narrator does a running commentary while the actors go through their paces.

And then, of course, there's The Crying Game, with its transvestite main character.

I am rather ashamed of people lately when I say someone "pulled a Crying Game" and no one gets it. Seriously, where's the love for the classics?

Of course, now we have Rent, with a transvestite main character, and Transamerica coming out this week, with its transsexual main character. And in the somewhat biographical arena there's Boys Don't Cry, which is more or less a biography of a transsexual. I am sure there have been many other films with transsexual or transvestite character since then, but Crying Game is still heralded as one of the greatest shocking moments in film history for the unveiling of the female protaganist actually being male.

ETA: A friend of mine just said "You're talking about tranny films and you don't mention Rocky Horror or Priscilla?!". So yeah, throw Rocky Horror Picture Show and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert in there.

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever a date is specified in '1984,' the footage was actually filmed on that date in 1984.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabby:less 'angelic,'more 'Angelus':
Whenever a date is specified in '1984,' the footage was actually filmed on that date in 1984.

I couldn't find any confirmation of this except for the note that apparently appears in the credits: "the exact location and time envisioned by the author". That's not quite the same thing as saying each date was filmed on that day, though. Are you sure? Or maybe you mean the single shot on which the date appears?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages