snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » The secret history of 'Wallace & Gromit' (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The secret history of 'Wallace & Gromit'
Shadowduck
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowduck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kersten:
There have been several times I have seen interviews of British actors, etc. that have caught themselves about to say "fag" and quickly change it to "cigarette."

I think that's permissible given that the word 'fag' has a totally different meaning in US English - in the States I've been greeted with everything from raised eyebrows to howls of derision if I forgot myself and said "I fancy a fag" or worse "I'm just going to have a fag". It's understandable why those in the public eye would wish to avoid that one!

Shadow "hang on while I roll a fag" Duck

--------------------
But of course, I could be wrong.

Posts: 858 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of the skit on The Kids In The Hall, with a mousey lady complaining about how words have changed, and she says something like, "'Faggot' was such a good word. Used to be, if you were cold, you threw another faggot on the fire. Now if you do it, it's a scandal!"

And now, to be completely silly, I will ruin a Led Zeppelin classic.

If there's a bustle in your hedgehog,
Don't be alarmed now!
It's just a signal for the Bay Queen...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowduck:
quote:
There have been several times I have seen interviews of British actors, etc. that have caught themselves about to say "fag" and quickly change it to "cigarette."

I think that's permissible given that the word 'fag' has a totally different meaning in US English - in the States I've been greeted with everything from raised eyebrows to howls of derision if I forgot myself and said "I fancy a fag" or worse "I'm just going to have a fag". It's understandable why those in the public eye would wish to avoid that one!

I think "I fancy a fag" is worse, actually.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
quote:
quote:

Want to get all Hannibal about it 'I've got the butt of a fag I'm saving for later'

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:

Don't be alarmed now!

But, but... everyone knows that a hedgehog canna be buggered at all.... [Pratchett]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
quote:
quote:

Want to get all Hannibal about it 'I've got the butt of a fag I'm saving for later'
On the Rolling Stones' first visit to American TV Bill Wyman asked the host if he could "pinch some fags" (borrow cigarettes). I imagine there was more than one giggle in the house.

Jaime "luckily he didn't ask to 'bum some fag'" Vargas

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 09 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Marrya:
quote:

Don't be alarmed now!

But, but... everyone knows that a hedgehog canna be buggered at all.... [Pratchett]
Just to add further confusion to this, the Bay Queen is the name of a cruise ship here. So if a hedgehog is getting personal time with a cruise ship, it ain't gonna walk right afterwards, poor thing...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK!

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RingKeeper:
It brings to mind the first Harry Potter book, which was changed from the Philosopher's Stone to the Sorcerer's Stone in the States.

I find this funny... There's an anime tv show (translated to English for US tv) where a search for a "Philosopher's Stone" plays a big part in the plot!
The HP books changed many things including the password for Dumbledore's office: in an early book it is "lemon drop" but late Harry remembers it as being "sherbet lemon" which it always was in the British versions. They also changed "jumper" to "sweater" although personally if I had read "jumper" I would have wondered why Harry was wearing a girl's dress...

If you want to see an awful change of a kids television show from British to America/Canada, see if you can find "The Worst Witch." It used to be on HBO Family but I'm not sure if it is anymore.
They actually dubbed over the British actors' voices using American-sounding voices! If you watch the show you can see the slight out-of-sync movements of their lips.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
Yes, you're quite right Silas and Ulko. However, I think the impact of the Orson Welles 1930 radio programme has been exaggerated. An article in 'The Fortean Times' suggested that the whole idea of mass panic in 1938 is an Urban Legend. Perhaps only about 200 people left their homes although police stations did receive a lot of telephone calls.

Steve Allen relates the story that his mother, aunt and himself were taken in by WotW while staying at a hotel. They rushed out of the room in a panic and the rest of the guests and staff thought they were nutters. Only after they heard another radio station playing popular music, did they realize their embarrassing mistake. Speculation off this anecdote makes me think that panic might have been widespread area-wise, but not population-wise necessarily.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smartymarty66
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smartymarty66         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We still giggle in a rather childish fashion every time the theme song for "the Nanny" comes on. Apparently fanny means something different in the US.
Posts: 58 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smartymarty66:
We still giggle in a rather childish fashion every time the theme song for "the Nanny" comes on. Apparently fanny means something different in the US.

The trouble with the word fanny in the U.S. is that in addition to meaning your situpon, it is a name. Started out as a nickname for Frances, I believe.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also true in the UK. My entire class was yelled at in infant school for giggling about Fanny in the Magic Faraway Tree series. Apparently it was immature. WTF? We were six. What do you want?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which goes to prove people in the U.K. are not likely to use the phrase "My Aunt Fanny!" (Roughly meaning "You are so full of it!").

Then again, not too many people here in the U.S. say that phrase anymore. Kind of like a phrase you'd hear a grandparent say in front of the kiddies instead of swearing.

"Grandpa! I seen a u.f.o.!"
"My Aunt Fanny, you did! Boy, get back in here and finish your homework!"

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which goes to prove people in the U.K. are not likely to use the phrase "My Aunt Fanny!" (Roughly meaning "You are so full of it!").

Then again, not too many people here in the U.S. say that phrase anymore. Kind of like a phrase you'd hear a grandparent say in front of the kiddies instead of swearing.

"Grandpa! I seen a u.f.o.!"
"My Aunt Fanny, you did! Boy, get back in here and finish your homework!"

I believe that the last person to use that expression in the U.S. was Col. Potter on M*A*S*H .

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 98 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ronald:
I believe that the last person to use that expression in the U.S. was Col. Potter on M*A*S*H.

Horse hockey! [lol]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages