snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Spongebob Squarepants gay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spongebob Squarepants gay?
Wolfs Bane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Wolfs Bane   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wolfs Bane   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok I have no clue if this has been done before but if it has please chow me. My husband has told me that Spongbob was chosen to be the new gay alince masock (sp??) has anyone else heard of this??

WB

[ 19. September 2005, 10:27 PM:   snopes ]

--------------------
My heat belongs to the moon

I am the hunter.... I am the pray

Posts: 52 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spongewaffles.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who is Alince Masock?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, under Active Topics, is this topic spelled as Sungbob?

ETA - OK, I see that now it's not spelled Sungbob.

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolfs Bane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfs Bane   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wolfs Bane   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ok I'm sorry I can't spell very well I ment to say was has anyone else hear of spongbob being gay???

WB

Ps sorry for three new topic posts, when I tired to post it the frist time I got the err that the page wasn't working.

--------------------
My heat belongs to the moon

I am the hunter.... I am the pray

Posts: 52 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfs Bane:
...has anyone else hear of spongbob being gay???

Oh, he's totally gay.

ETA:
quote:
Ok I have no clue if this has been done before but if it has please chow me.
Bob-a-chow.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack]Rocko's Modern Life is the dirtiest. Ask any stoner.[/hijack]

But anyway, what's wrong if Spongebob is gay? Is gay wrong? Are there parents that think that if Spongebob really is gay, their children will grow up to be gay? There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's quite morbid thinking.

ETA:
Aqua--"Call 1-800 GLAAD today!"--dude

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spongebob Squarepants is a sponge. All sponges are hermaphrodites. Occasionally they will reproduce asexually through budding.

So Spongebob isn't gay. He isn't straight, either. He's just sponge.

Horse "If you type 'sponge' too many times, it looks funny" Chestnut

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, this topic reminds me of the hit single Superbowl is gay (NSFW, NFBSK, ofcourse)

"The sky is gay
Sometimes it is gray
But, mostly it is gay"

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack again] Andy Milonakis! [/hijack again]

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Republican
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Republican   E-mail Republican   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I forget where, but I've heard a rumour that the sponge bob charector Squidward is gay.

--------------------
I'm a rumour weed.

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Spongebob gay? No. Of course not. Do people with "teh gay" have a fondness for him?

~~~Hides Spongebob figurines on my desk, turns off Spongebob ringtone on my cell phone, closes door so you can't see my Spongebob pillow buddy~~~

No. Of course not. Now why do you think that?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
apkjkk
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apkjkk   E-mail apkjkk   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, for my first post (after months of lurking), I guess it is a slight hijack, but on a related note, my sister won't let my 3 1/2 year old nephew watch Bob the Builder because she believes he's gay. I have no idea why. Maybe she thinks he's the construction worker from the Village People.

Jen (too afraid of the Pirate to post until now)

Posts: 33 | From: Northern Virginia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by apkjkk:
Jen (too afraid of the Pirate to post until now)

You shouldn't fear the Pirate! He's just for looking (for most of us, anyway...)

Seaboo

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, for most of you..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
apkjkk
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apkjkk   E-mail apkjkk   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well thanks, Seaboo, but I don't know if that makes me relieved or disapointed!

Jen

Posts: 33 | From: Northern Virginia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spongebob isn't gay, he's just confused...and really, REALLY happy.

Squidward, on the other hand, I've wondered about for some time. There's just too many vague gay references in all the episodes I've seen.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If SpongeBob is gay, he certainly hasn't come out of the closet yet. In multiple episodes, we've seen him dating or trying to date Sandy, a female squirrel.

RelicMan, what gay references have you seen about Squidward? It seems he's got a major stick up his (do squids have asses?), but I've not noticed any gay references. The only one I can think of is he likes interperative dance.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roxi of Simple Delight
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 505 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
If SpongeBob is gay, he certainly hasn't come out of the closet yet. In multiple episodes, we've seen him dating or trying to date Sandy, a female squirrel.

RelicMan, what gay references have you seen about Squidward? It seems he's got a major stick up his (do squids have asses?), but I've not noticed any gay references. The only one I can think of is he likes interperative dance.

The only reason I've always imagined Squidward being gay is that he reminds me a lot of Bert from Sesame Street, and in Avenue Q there is a (closeted) gay character partly based on Bert. Therefore, in my mind at least, Squidward will always be flaming.

I think it also has something to do with his clarinet...I mean...come on.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

You both got parts of it. I wish I had a better memory to quote everything I remember...

The clarinet, as far as I've seen, is mostly a "girls'" instrument. A man playing one could be construed as being gay, I suppose.

As you said, Squidward liking interpretive dance just OOZES gayness to me. I'm not trying to be "orientationist" here, but I've never met a straight man that would like that kinda stuff.

Again, I wish I could remember, but there was one episode I remember seeing in which he reacted in a way that would scream in neon that he was gay.

If Squidward IS gay, then they are being very, very careful about pointing out the fact. I can understand why, with all the Christian peoples ready to crucify SpongeBob already! I think they are subtle about it so that the kids won't ask, but you just kinda...know...you know?

Anyways, I'll try to do some research in the next day or two if I think about it. I'll see if I can find more of these references I'm referring to and whatnot.

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
The clarinet, as far as I've seen, is mostly a "girls'" instrument. A man playing one could be construed as being gay, I suppose.

I don't think Benny Goodman would agree with you.

Seaboo

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack] No cartoon has been gayer than Ren & Stimpy. Ever. Especially the episodes from the newer remade version, wherein Ren calls Stimpy his "Blumpkin Pumpkin." For those who don't know what a blumpkin is - getting felatio while deficating. Yeah...it's disturbing. [/hijack]

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Seaboo Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:

I don't think Benny Goodman would agree with you.

Seaboo

Well, I did say mostly, you know! [Razz]

--------------------

Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Woody Allen plays clarinet.

I don't think this instrument is in any way related to gender or sexual orientation. (I can't really think of any gender-specific instrument.)

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If SpongeBob is gay, he certainly hasn't come out of the closet yet.
Well, once he and Patrick raised a baby clam, and Patrick instantly called dibs on being the Daddy. Spongebob is seen wearing a sundress and hair curlers while cleaning the house, doing dishes and caring for the baby clam all at the same time in a running joke ("Tomorrow, For Sure...").

Trish "Why was a sponge wearing hair curlers??!! DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

One thing everyone needs to remember is that Patrick and Spongebob are largely portrayed as being child-like. To them, they were just playing "house".

That's how I took it, anyways.

quote:
Why was a sponge wearing hair curlers??!!
That reminded me of another episode when Spongebob quickly told Sandy he had to get a haircut(or something to that effect)in order to get away from her. Sandy says outloud to herself, "Wait a minute, Spongebob doesn't have any hair...or DOES he?"

Dip your brain in the mud if you don't get it the first time around. [Wink]

--------------------

TrishDaDish

My Ma asks the bigger Spongebob questions every time she catches me watching it:

"How can there be fires going on under water?"

"Where are they getting lettuce and tomatoes from for the burgers? What are the burgers made of? Cows that live under water?" (I tried explaining that's a secret known only to Mr. Krabs, but she won't buy that...)

"Why are they ordering drinks when they're breathing water?"

"How can they have a beach under water? How is it possible to have water under water that's...argh!!!"

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How is Bob the Builder gay? I thought he was dating Wendy or whatever her name is. I know there's an episode where they were going on a date.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've asked those questions as well TrishDaDish. Also:

Why does SpongeBob expand when he's in the water in his bath, but doesn't expand when he's in the water under the ocean?

Why do you see water in his mop bucket?

When Sandy empied out a pickle jar so she could breathe, where did the air inside the pickle jar come from?

Why does Mr Krab (a crab) have a whale for a daughter?

Why are SpongeBob's parents and grandmother round sponges, but he is a square sponge?

Why does Squidward have only 6 limbs? And how does he play the clarinet without any fingers?

Why does Sandy's underwater habitat go through winter?

What are Krabby Pattie buns made out of? Bread would be soggy underwater.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
I've asked those questions as well TrishDaDish. Also: Why does SpongeBob expand when he's in the water in his bath, but doesn't expand when he's in the water under the ocean? Why do you see water in his mop bucket? When Sandy empied out a pickle jar so she could breathe, where did the air inside the pickle jar come from? ...

I've only seen Songebob 1/3 of a time but I know the answer to all these questions and more. The answer is "Because Spongebob is gay." [Big Grin]
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How can spongebob be gay he's never been seen going out with anyone of he own species. If his sexual preferences go for anything he is a beastiophile or xenophile if you prefer.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain Zombie
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Captain Zombie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Captain Zombie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if there's any pirate you should be afraid of it's this guy:
NSFW/NFBSK http://www.wimp.com/loser/

--------------------
1st Infantry, SpecialOps Brigade - The Iron Faction.
I survived Initiation 2005... with Naked Mole Rat Sumotori and Bill O'Reilly

Posts: 264 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages