snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Barney killer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Barney killer
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard, when I was younger, that the producers hired a new man
to play Barney because the old actor that played him had anger problems
and one day stepped on one of the children during a shoot. Is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, he may have stepped on a kid (probably did, given that the suit wouldn't have the best visibility), but he answered his call:

quote:
From the IMDB page on David Joyner
Mini biography
David Eugene Joyner was born on July 4th, 1963 in Decatur, Illinois to parents, Roscoe and Mary Joyner. He is the 5th out 6 children. His nickname growing up was "Preacher". He graduated in 1981, with Honors, from MacArthur High School in Decatur at the age of 17. And in 1983 he graduated ITT Technical Institute of Indianapolis, Indiana with an Associate Degree in Electronic Engineering Technology. In 1982 He became know as "The Mannequin Man". David was hired to stand in store windows in malls as a mechanically moving mannequin. Hundreds of people would stand outside the window and watch with amazement. In 1984 he was hired by (TI) Texas Instruments and moved to Dallas, Texas, where he worked for 6 years as a Software Analyst. On September 28, 1990 he resigned to pursue his entertainment career on a full-time basis. While working for TI, he performed during evenings and weekends at various clubs, malls, Churches, Civic Organization, and on local TV Talk Shows. He was known as "Mr. Entertainment-David E. Joyner-The Mannequin Man". He became a Professional Motivational Speaker in 1988, and is in great demand all over the country.

He has a very funny and energetic way of motivating. In 1990 he became an Acting Coach at "The Dallas TV & Film Workshop, now known as "The Dallas Young Actors Studio & Performance Center, under the direction of Linda Seto. It's a non-profit organization that trains kids and teens from the ages of 3 to 18 acting skills. In 1992 he became the Assistant Director. It was there in 1990, that he met Casting Director, Shirley Abrams, who cast him in the role as "Barney". And it was also there that he met Hollywood Agent, Mary Grady, who is now his manager. David has played the Barney character since 1991 and has traveled around the world spreading love to millions people of all ages. On October 31, 1994 he lost one of his best friends to lung cancer, his Mom. She was only 58 years old. On December 6, 1997 David married the woman of his dreams, Edna Ivelisse Salamo. She was born and raised in Ponce, Puerto Rico, which is where they exchanged vows, only to return to Dallas a week later to exchange them again to all their family and friends in the States.

In 1998 David answered his call to Ministry, and is now a Certified Candidate for Ordained Ministry in the United Methodist Church. This is a man who truly has passion for Word of God. And he loves to share it. In March 2001, he and Edna relocated to the Los Angeles area, so he could go to the next level in his Acting and Entertaining career. You will soon see him in his own TV Series. But besides being an Actor, an Entertainer, a Mannequin Man, a dancer, a Purple Dinosaur, a Drummer, a Preacher, a Motivational Speaker, and a Husband, he's a very humble, loving guy, who loves people.

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My eight year old son reported that one of his friends told him
that Barney was fired for teaching curses to children. Any truth to
this rumor which sounds very "urban legend" like.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: My eight year old son reported that one of his friends told him
that Barney was fired for teaching curses to children. Any truth to
this rumor which sounds very "urban legend" like.

Not really a curse word, but it was once reported that he may have called the kids "jerks" under his breath and when the clip was replayed it was not clear whether he said "jerks" or "shucks."

I'll try to find a reference.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 402 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it just me, or did anyone else read this thread's title and think it was about Hal Linden going on a murderous rampage?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually - it was related...

"What do you mean? Did Fish finally snap and kill the Captain??"

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 96 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:

No. That was just a rumor. What really happened was Abe Vigoda left the show. He, along with Erik Estrada and Larry Wilcox tried to start their own show. It was called...I'm not even going to say it. Just twack me. [fish]

Robbiev -dumb jokes abound-427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blfz70
Shmammy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blfz70   Author's Homepage   E-mail blfz70   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Was it just me, or did anyone else read this thread's title and think it was about Hal Linden going on a murderous rampage?

Actually, yes, I kinda thought the same thing.
Posts: 90 | From: Wylie, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TailsAndy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TailsAndy   E-mail TailsAndy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww. I was hoping that one of the kids finally got fed up with him and stabbed him. [thwacked] [fish]

--------------------
You know when you've found it... because you feel it when they take it away. - Damien Rice

Posts: 103 | From: Buffalo, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Barney killer?

If you're looking for volunteers...

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moeko'sOwl
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Moeko'sOwl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Line forms to the left, starting behind Andrew of Ware, England and me.

--------------------
We are all equal, be it before the eyes of God, or for our own sake. We are all worthy of the same fundamental rights, freedoms, and, protections. Mindless hatred is unjustifiable. -Squoval

Posts: 320 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My fifth grade daughter just brought home the rumor that the kids
show Barney went off the air because the actor who played the dinosaur
died in some sort of weird accident. No details given on the "accident".
We talk (a lot) about urban legends and she asked me to check on this one.

Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great, now I've got Weird Al Yankovic's "Barney's On Fire" looping through my head.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, but "Barney's On Fire" is NOT a Weird Al song! That song was actually by "None Of The Above"-- See here:

Tony Mason/None Of The Above's website-
www.loudsound.com

The Not-Al List-
free.house.cx/~eil/etc/notal.html

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:

No, but Wojo shot Barney Miller in an episode where they all went hunting for "Big Moose."

... jeeze I can't believe I remember that ... I think I just seriously dated myself ... [lol]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a patch that was availible for "Doom" which changed all the villains to Barney.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kennerado
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennerado   E-mail Kennerado   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mgbdriver:
I remember a patch that was availible for "Doom" which changed all the villains to Barney.

Barneystien ruled!
Posts: 6 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages