snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Some game show ULs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some game show ULs
MIB
We Three Blings

Icon 601 posted      Profile for MIB   Author's Homepage   E-mail MIB       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a few game show ULs. These are taken from the book, TV Game Shows! by Maxene Fabe

Get the smelling salts!

Vera Augenbach, a contestant on Chuck Barris' New Treasure Hunt, upon learning that she had won a new Rolls-Royce instead of being "klunked", fainted dead away right on camera. Later the size of the taxes on her elegant prize made her faint again. To afford them, she had to sell the car. (page 260)

Famous Moments on the Pyramid.

The weeks two of the game's fiercest and most intense competitors, Odd Couple Tony Randall and Jack Klugman are piitted against each other, the fur always flies. Ditto when Star Trekkers William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy face each other.

The day Sandy Duncan broke the straps on the chair in the winner's circle. These restraints, meant to keep Pyramid players from using there hands, during the final part of the game, have held fast for hulking men. It took five-feet-one-inch, ninety-seven-pound Sandy to rip them out by the roots.

The day Anita Gillette went overboard listing "Things that are stiff." Her answer was bleeped. (page 258)

Whoops!

You could control 'em, you could rig 'em, but you could never guard against the biggest nemesis of all, that television then was live.

Were you watching the night Hal March put the contestant in the isolation booth then forgot to ask the $32,000 question?
The night he inadvertently revealed the $16,000 baseball answer?
The night he scratched the record for the jazz question?

One night it wasn't so funny. Home viewers suddenly found themselves looking at the rafters of the studio instead of the stage. The cameraman just had been stabbed by a man who'd walked in off the street. (page 209)

Whodunnit?

Quiz shows so captured the imagination of the American people that they became the subjects of other forms of TV entertainment. On June 18,1958, a play aired on Kraft Theatre called Now Will You Try For Murder by Harry Olesker. According to TV Guide that week: "One of the biggest money winners in TV quiz history is murdered on the day he is to try for a record sum. An investigation reveals that a number of people connected with the show had a motive: the top executive, the director, the producer, and the producer's lovely assistant." (page 195)

The Cupboard Was Bare

Then there was the show that ran out of prizes. Back in 1954, before the networks regulated such matters, a show called Be My Guest had to leave the air when Brooklyn contestant Rose Schmetterling won her choice of jewelry or toys for her children, only to learn that Be My Guest's till read tilt. The bankrupt daytime quiz offered her instead a gift certificate worth her winnings in delicatessen cold cuts. To add insult to injury, when she tried to make good on her marker, no market would honor it. Guess what Mrs. Schmetterling's famous rejoinder was to that empty promise? "Baloney." (page 84)

MIB

--------------------
What it all comes down to is, dyslexics have more nuf.

Posts: 1090 | From: Area 51 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zapruder's Magic Candlestick Theory
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandy Duncan? Strapped down? Welcome to the 25,000 S&M Pyramid...

"Hi, I'm Dick Clark, I will be your slavemaster today."

Kinky.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I never knew that Schmetterling was a last name before. Learn something new...etc.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard that on an episode of
Family Feud one of the questions asked was to name a fruit that starts
with the letter "A". I'm not sure on the details, but one family wasn't
able to get all the answers, so the question went to the other family, who
happened to be black. The family members came up with some answers, but
the father rejected those and came up with his own (in a strong Jamaican
accent): "Arange!" (orange).

I'm not sure if this is true or just a racial joke. Could you please find
out about this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm guessing racial joke. Seems pretty obvious to me.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup. Sounds like a variant of the Doe/Knob myth.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MIB:

Get the smelling salts!

Vera Augenbach, a contestant on Chuck Barris' New Treasure Hunt, upon learning that she had won a new Rolls-Royce instead of being "klunked", fainted dead away right on camera.

I did see footage of someone fainting on "The Price Is Right". In the "showcase showdown", she ended up winning both showcases. She stood completely still for about two seconds, then her eyes rolled up, and she went down. I saw it on one of those "wacky gameshow moments"-type shows.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 09 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of The Price Is Right, is it true that a woman who was picked to play flashed the camera? Something about her wearing a tube top that came off, I think it was?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Speaking of The Price Is Right, is it true that a woman who was picked to play flashed the camera? Somethng about her wearing a tube top that came of, I think it was?

I've seen an (edited) replay of at least one incident of that, but I remember Bob commenting afterwards (it was some kind of 'history of' show) that it happened a few times.

One I wonder about the PiR is that Bob effectively banned Sammoan women after being bear hugged one too many times (and having the bakc pains to prove it).

Donovan

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenny   E-mail Jenny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Speaking of The Price Is Right, is it true that a woman who was picked to play flashed the camera? Something about her wearing a tube top that came off, I think it was?

This did sorta happen on the British version of "Family Feud", "Family Fortunes". One woman was so thrilled at having won the big prize that she literally jumped for joy and her flimsy top slipped, revealing a breast to the cameras. The clip turns up frequently on out-take shows here.
Posts: 67 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So does the book say what happened on the Randall/Klugman shows? I know Shatner/Nimoy was the week that Shatner threw the chair.

quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Yup. Sounds like a variant of the Doe/Knob myth.

I just wanted to add that the link to this legend is how I found snopes in the first place. (I'm a game show fanatic. The best thing about 2002 for me was when Charter added what was then called the Game Show Network.)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
7thWheel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 18 posted      Profile for 7thWheel   E-mail 7thWheel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

She didnt intentionally flash but when her name was called to come on down, she ran down to contestant row and did the usual jumping ect. She was wearing a tube top and her boobs popped out on the way down. She covered up quickly.
Posts: 59 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of The Price Is Right I remember an episode when Bob chose a woman to become the next contestant,said woman started giggling uncontrollably and jumping up and down and repeating "Oh my god!" over and over.Finally they've put in an early commercial.

When they came back she seemed to have calmed down but as soon as Bob started talking again the woman began jumping and giggling again and they went to another commercial and when they were back the woman was gone and Bob called another person from the audience to be contestant

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About the candidate "disappearing", I remember a German quiz show, it was a celebrity money raising one. The candidate, German singer/actress Jeannette Biedermann, basically made a fool of herself, knowing next to nothing, but apparently enjoying the stay. It was a WWTBAM-alike show, so a wrong answer would have kicked her out, and she was trying hard, but the host of course helped her out and out and out, because the money would be for a good cause. Finally he asked her once again, whether she wanted to play on (in this show, once you got to know the question, you gotta answer, if you're afraid to do so, chicken out before), she said yes, host to camera: "We'll have a commercial break, and after that, Jeannette will tell us, whether she really wants to play on." Of course she didn't. Since she's in no case the sharpest knife in the drawer, I wonder whether she realized the embarassment of the situation...

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7thWheel:
quote:

She didnt intentionally flash but when her name was called to come on down, she ran down to contestant row and did the usual jumping ect. She was wearing a tube top and her boobs popped out on the way down. She covered up quickly.
I'll verify that; I have a copy on a tape somewhere in my basement.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Watching 100 most unexpexted moments on TV. This is one of them happened in Sept. 1977. WOman was called she had on a tube top ran down and her top fell down!!!!

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blfz70
Shmammy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blfz70   Author's Homepage   E-mail blfz70   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On eBaums World, there is a video of the girl whose top came off, exposing a breast. I am not sure which game it was right off hand.
Posts: 90 | From: Wylie, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages