snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » Canadians saying aboot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canadians saying aboot
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm Canadian and I've noticed that one of the stereotypes Americans have of us is that we say aboot instead of about. There seems to be some truth to other stereotypes about our speech like saying eh (though everybody says it so casually it's hardly noticable) and saying sorry a lot. However, I have no idea where the aboot thing came from. I've listened carefully to everyone saying about and it's not even close to aboot. Could it be from another part of Canada (I'm from the west) or that the Americans say abawt and, to their ears, we sound like we're saying aboot?
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Corwin
I Am Curious Bluefin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corwin   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds, to my ears, that Southern Ontarians pronounce "ou" somewhere between a long 'o' with a bit of a short 'u' (but not the one in "butt", the one that's in "put"), closer to the 'o'. I suspect French influence.

--------------------
Then lightning struck... Bad lightning.

Posts: 259 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always hear it more as "aboat" or maybe somewhere between "aboot" and "aboat." I agree that it could be more of an Eastern thing. I hardly notice anything when I talk to people from BC. FWIW, I hear the word as "abowt" like ow! with an "ab" and a "t" on either end.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
laiskuri
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laiskuri   E-mail laiskuri   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To me the "about" rhymes with "afloat". More or less
Posts: 23 | From: Carson, CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
csel's in 2nd Grade
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csel's in 2nd Grade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it before - as NeeCD said, between "aboot" and "aboat" - but I don't associate it with Canada, rather a region of North America up around Wisconsin, upper Illinois, Minnesota, and south-central (I guess) Canada.

And, I find it charming, actually - but I don't assume all Canadians speak that way, or all Wisconsinites (??) for that matter. I assumed it was just a regional thing, like certain differences in Southern accents (Texas is different from Arkansas, generally). Not everyone has the regional stuff, even if they are from the region.

And I bet I get pilloried for either a) not making sense or b) comparing Illinois to Wisconsin. Tooo tired.......zzzzzzz

--------------------
"What is sin? I think sin is failure to grow."
-Lauren Slater, "Prozac Diary"

Posts: 172 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Aboat' (properly pronounced 'aboht') is something you see on the lehke.

~Psihala
(*Born in Duluth (duh-LUTE), dont'cha know.)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chance     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought it was nonsense, because I've never heard anyone say "aboot" (though I woudn't be surprised to learn it was a Maritimes thing, as they seem to have their own accent(s) going on). However, when I was talking on the phone to an American friend, he teased be for saying my "out" sounds oddly, and my Mom (from New Zealand) confirmed that she finds my Dad's pronunciation of "about" to be pretty different. She said it sounded "like a cross between about and aboot".

So maybe we do it and just don't hear it?

Actually, I'm confused as to what actually constitutes a "Canadian accent" anyway. I have a lousy ear for accents, but I don't hear a whole lot of difference between my Southwestern Ontario surroundings and the American accents as played in, say, the Simpsons.

Posts: 7 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a phenomenon called "Canadian Raising" that affects verb sounds before unvoiced consonants.

Because it's unusual to those who aren't familir with it, it sounds more pronounced than it is to them, while those who are accustomed don't notice it at all.

The words "house" (the verb) and "house" (the noun) don't completely rhyme, because in "house", the "s" in unvoiced.

It also occurs in the pairs "lout" and "loud", as well as "ice" and "eyes".

Here's more info: http://www.yorku.ca/twainweb/troberts/raising.html

and

http://www.umanitoba.ca/linguistics/russell/phonetics/narrower/canadian-raising.html

I find it all very fascinating.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chance     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I just learned something. Thanks for the links, Yleemjseg!
Posts: 7 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, no problem.

I love this stuff.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also heard out as oot I always thought it was because the french speaking correlation.

Squi "oot and aboot or out and about" shy

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always heard it as halfway between aboat and aboot, certainly amongst Nova Scotians, so perhaps it is descended from the Scottish accents of early settlers.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am confused....aboat? I say a bout ...like round a bout or bowt...a fight...I guess...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never met anyone from Canada who has said "aboot" or any noticeable different version of "about" in conversation.

One thing that I've noticed as that, to me (living in New Hampshire) a lot of Canadaians who come here pronounce the word "sorry" as "surry." They don't necessarily say it more often than, well, Americans or anyone else, but it does seem to have a different "twang" to it.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tori

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tori   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I would think it's probably a regional thing, and not specifically Canadian.

The American and Canadian accents do sound almost identical to the untrained ear, much like the Australians and Kiwis. Being an American, I can usually pick out the Canadians overseas (and not because they've got maple leaves plastered all over their stuff), but I seem to always get asked what part of Canada I'm from. [Razz]

Tori "I'm from the southern part"

Posts: 26 | From: Darwin, NT, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forteanc

Icon 102 posted      Profile for forteanc   E-mail forteanc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
yes we fellow scots do say aboot,but it depends on where "aboots" you come from,also they say it in some northern parts of england,but i bet there are other places
Posts: 1 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Christie and Tori, in that I hear very little difference between the "generic" American accent, and the Canadian one. There must be a difference, though, because the actor's union in Toronto occasionally offers workshops on learning the American accent, and I've seen ads offering the same service from voice coaches.

Thanks for the links, Yleemjseg.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
I'm with Christie and Tori, in that I hear very little difference between the "generic" American accent, and the Canadian one. There must be a difference, though, because the actor's union in Toronto occasionally offers workshops on learning the American accent, and I've seen ads offering the same service from voice coaches.

Thanks for the links, Yleemjseg.

I have always been pretty sensitive to the differences between Canadian and US accents, so it is pretty easy for me to tell which shows are filmed in Canada and rely on local extras. It was really annoying in shows like The L Word, where the fact that it was taking place in Los Angeles was supposed to be such an important part of the storyline.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
I have always been pretty sensitive to the differences between Canadian and US accents, so it is pretty easy for me to tell which shows are filmed in Canada and rely on local extras. It was really annoying in shows like The L Word, where the fact that it was taking place in Los Angeles was supposed to be such an important part of the storyline.

I work in a hotel that is about 90 minutes to 2 hours from four seperate boarder crossings, so we become a frequent stopping point for travellers moving between NY and Michigan (and vice versa)

As a result, I've become pretty adept at noticing the American accent. If there is any doubt on my part, I just listen to how they ask for directions to Toronto. 9 times out of 10 if they are from the US, they pronounce the second t quite distinctly.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwoGuyswithaHat:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnglRdr:
[qb]I just listen to how they ask for directions to Toronto. 9 times out of 10 if they are from the US, they pronounce the second t quite distinctly.

Just out of curiosity, how is it pronounced?
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ericsmom:
quote:
Originally posted by TwoGuyswithaHat:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnglRdr:
[qb]I just listen to how they ask for directions to Toronto. 9 times out of 10 if they are from the US, they pronounce the second t quite distinctly.

Just out of curiosity, how is it pronounced?
T'ronno.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the title for this thread and immediately thought of the classic I Am Canadian commercial.

"And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'."

Edited to fix quote.

--------------------
Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Norton II:
I read the title for this thread and immediately thought of the classic I Am Canadian commercial.

"And I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'."

Edited to fix quote.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, Norton II.
Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages