snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » "Randy" a name and a naughty bit (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Randy" a name and a naughty bit
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I met a Canadian girl on a flight, who was working in the UK with her boyfriend. His legal name was Randy, and not short for anything. His last name was Gunn. He sounds like he's straight out of a bad Austin Powers joke.

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey:
I shouldn't worry; I've *never* heard that term used here.

Me neither. I dont think anyone's used it since victorian times, have they?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

WHAT!?!?! You've never listened to Monty Python's Penis Song??

"Three cheers for your Willie or John Thomas..."

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
quote:

Me neither. I dont think anyone's used it since victorian times, have they?
I certainly hear it from time to time, but without ever being commonplace.
Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
quote:

Hooray for your one-eyed trouser snake
Your piece of pork, your wife's best friend...

Actually, there was a parody soap on ABC Local Radio (I forget the name) with a character named John Thomas. He was an MP known by the nickname "The Swinging Member".

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing about Kenny Rogers Roasters for the first time on some US show and doing more than a little double-take.

owww!

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
quote:

BTW, here's the complete song:

The "Not Noel Coward Song" from "Monty Python's Meaning of Life" ****

Isn't it awfully nice to have a penis.
Isn't it simply grand to have a dong.
It's swell to have a stiffy, it's divine to own a dick,
From the tiniest little tadger to the world's biggest prick...

So three cheers for your Willy or John Thomas,
Hooray for your one-eyed trouser snake.
Your piece of pork, your wife's best friend,
Your Percy or your cock,
You can wrap it up in ribbons, you can slip it in your sock,
But don't take it out in public or they'll stick you in the dock,
And you won't a-come a-back.

Eric Idle

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
velvetcactus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velvetcactus   Author's Homepage   E-mail velvetcactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The British showjumper Pippa Funnell had to be called Phillipa during the Athens Olympics as Pippa is slang for "a sexual connotation in Greek that was less than appropriate for broadcast." I don't seem to be able to find a cite or translation for this at the moment though.
Posts: 43 | From: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is ironic because "Phillipa Funnell" could have a sexual connotation in English that might be considered less than appropriate for broadcast...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by velvetcactus:
The British showjumper Pippa Funnell had to be called Phillipa during the Athens Olympics as Pippa is slang for "a sexual connotation in Greek that was less than appropriate for broadcast." I don't seem to be able to find a cite or translation for this at the moment though.

the translation is slang for fellatio. see here

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wee wifey:
quote:
Originally posted by velvetcactus:

the translation is slang for fellatio. see here
But if you follow wee wifey's link you'll find that it's spelt pipa. pippa, on the other hand, means f*** in Swedish.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which brings us to the story of German football (soccer) player Franco Foda playing his only international match in Brazil of all places. When he got substituted, there was quite some giggle, since this comes close to be understood as "free f***".

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in Paris around the time that the Pippi Longstocking movie came out. On the French posters, she was called Fifi because Pipi means urinate.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WingedBear:
My supervisor, who is from Australia, said that the first thing that happened when she got off the plane in the US is a guy walked up to her and said, “Hi, I’m Randy.” She says she just blushed and walked away.

One of our projects had a customer rep on site for its duration. He was a friendly guy and we had to explain why he shouldn't go up to staff (particularly female staff) and go "Hi! I'm Randy." We may have saved him embarrassment or black eyes in life outside of work.

In the USA Fanny appears to mean buttocks. In the UK it means female genitalia. "Hot Fanny Sauce" on a New Orleans menu put over completely the wrong idea to Brit tourists.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been having much amusement of late with Randy Lerner's interest in buying Aston Villa. And poor old Stefan Kuntz, of course - and the poor commentators' obvious attempts to pronounce his surname casually and really overdoing it.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Randy Giles? Why not call me Horny Giles or Despirate-For-A-Shag Giles?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. [Big Grin]

I have an Uncle Randolph. We call him Randy for short. He's named after my great-uncle Randolph, who's probably named after another Randolph as my family recycles names like most people recycle aluminum cans.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has The Amazing Randi ever played England?

And I always wondered if the actor Jonathan Taylor Thomas used his full name to avoid sounding like John Thomas.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

And I always wondered if the actor Jonathan Taylor Thomas used his full name to avoid sounding like John Thomas.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Um, I have no idea why my posts always seem to double. I'm hitting the post button only once.
Alex Buchet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rivkah Chaya:

He certainly has, notably exposing fake mediums who lyingly claimed to be consulted by the Police.
Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And one more thing - "Roger the Lodger" is a nickname, not a command. [Smile]

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one you don't have to leave the country for: San Diego used to have a local political figure named Dick Rider.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Australia a "thong" is something that you wear on your feet. What you call a "thong" we call a g-string.

I've heard that in England the word "pants" refers to underwear, whereas here it just means trousers.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Icon 602 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie Jay:
In Australia a "thong" is something that you wear on your feet.

It is in Canada too, or least it used to be a common term. However, just a few weeks ago, I saw a sign advertising thong sandals in a drug store. And I still the word 'thongs' because I despise the term 'flip-flops'.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrincessLeia:
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie Jay:
In Australia a "thong" is something that you wear on your feet.

It is in Canada too, or least it used to be a common term. However, just a few weeks ago, I saw a sign advertising thong sandals in a drug store. And I still the word 'thongs' because I despise the term 'flip-flops'.
Thongs used to mean shoes in the US, too.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe it was Sisqo who ruined everything.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Jessie' in northern English slang means either a homosexual or an effiminate male. It is often used in a derogatory fashion, especially about men from southern England. 'You're a southern Jessie,' should not be taken as a compliment. OK, not very rude.

'Knockers' is a slightly risque word for breasts. Many years ago I remember there was an article on 'Blue Peter' (a children's television programme) about two mediaeval door knockers from Durham Cathedral. The male presenter said at the end of the piece, 'What a lovely pair of knockers.' How he kept a straight face I do not know.

And, yes, 'pants' does mean 'underwear' in Britain. Young children love it when they hear Americans talk about wearing 'pants'.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:

And, yes, 'pants' does mean 'underwear' in Britain. Young children love it when they hear Americans talk about wearing 'pants'.

not forgetting pants can also mean slightly crap, ie "that film was pants".

My Favourite USA/UK difference is still fanny, how I chuckle when Yanks talk of thei "fanny packs"

--------------------

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'Knockers' is a slightly risque word for breasts. Many years ago I remember there was an article on 'Blue Peter' (a children's television programme) about two mediaeval door knockers from Durham Cathedral. The male presenter said at the end of the piece, 'What a lovely pair of knockers.' How he kept a straight face I do not know.

I remember that one - years later on one of those nostalgia type tv shows one of the Blue Peter presenters admitted that it was a deliberate double entendre, and that they occasionally tried to slip others in for their own amusement, much to the annoyance of Biddy Baxter.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
quote:

I remember that one - years later on one of those nostalgia type tv shows one of the Blue Peter presenters admitted that it was a deliberate double entendre, and that they occasionally tried to slip others in for their own amusement, much to the annoyance of Biddy Baxter.
The double entendre is deliberate, I have seen it quite recently and there is a pause between 'pair of' and 'knockers'. In those days (early 80s) Blue Peter was largely done live, with no autocue and little studio rehearsal (I think only 1 read through)
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex Buchet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read an interview with a Scottish scripter for the British girls' comic, 'Judy', and he confirmed that every week the lads would vie to see who could introduce the worst double entendre.

'Knit yourself a Dutch Cap!"'

'Guess who's in Judy this week!'

Etc, etc.

Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one for you UK types out there. On the old series "Are You Being Served?" there was always a slightly titillated laugh track whenever Mrs. Slocum referred to her cat as her "pussy". Does "pussy" have the same risque meaning in England as it does in the US; a term for female genitalia?

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:
Here's one for you UK types out there. On the old series "Are You Being Served?" there was always a slightly titillated laugh track whenever Mrs. Slocum referred to her cat as her "pussy". Does "pussy" have the same risque meaning in England as it does in the US; a term for female genitalia?

Concidering that the English singer/songwriter Ivor Biggun AKA Doc Cox has written a song called My Girlfriend's Pussy, which starts something like "My girlfriend's got a pussy, she keeps it hid from view and everywhere that she goes the pussy goes there too", I think we can safely conclude that so is the case. [Wink]

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:

Of course, otherwise it wouldn't have been funny*

* to be fair it wasn't very funny anyway, but would have been less so without the double-entendre.

--------------------

Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Mrs. Slocum - the pussy puns are deliberate, but I've always wondered if her surname is also deliberate or just coincidental.

And of course is it also coincidental that Mr. Humphreys is played by John Inman? [fish]

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages