snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » Wendy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wendy?
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me and my friend were just talking about Peter Pan and he says that before the book came out way back when the name "Wendy" Didn't even exsist. Is that true? I mean it's hard to belive cause it is a common name now...did people really like it that much?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=wendy

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ean
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ean   E-mail Ean   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A brief history of Wendy. [Smile]

ETA. Hmmm, spanked a little bit, but the sources seem to differ.

--------------------
"Any more of this nonsense and we'll have a short, sharp visit from the Smack Fairy!"

"Music will get you through times of no love better than love will get you through times of no music"
- GiNGER - Something To Believe In

Posts: 178 | From: Shropshire, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ratface
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratface   E-mail ratface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.wendy.com/wendyweb/history.html
Posts: 28 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ratface
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratface   E-mail ratface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ooh, spanked soundly. and didn't even enjoy it.
Posts: 28 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Boring personal story alert:

I had a friend in high school named Wendy. Her folks wanted to name all their kids after Peter Pan kids (Wendy was the eldest child in the family). They stopped before completeing this insanity, naming their sons John and Ben instead.

Then they got a beagle when Wendy was in high school, she promptly named it "Michael". I asked her if she realized she had finished her parent's naming insanity. She didn't, but it was too late. to cover it up, she started calling him "Mikey".

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's such a pain always being told my name actually hasn't really got a meaning, or having it all confused with so many meanings or derivatives. And luckily the Peter Pan references stopped by about high school.It used to be my mission to actually find things like pens and notebooks with my name on it, because they rarely ever existed.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ange84:
It's such a pain always being told my name actually hasn't really got a meaning, or having it all confused with so many meanings or derivatives. And luckily the Peter Pan references stopped by about high school.It used to be my mission to actually find things like pens and notebooks with my name on it, because they rarely ever existed.

I was the same way...looking for things with my name on it (This was before I changed my name) my original name was Eve...and believe it or not there really aren't that many things with Eve on it...there may be now...but not when I was growing up.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think naming trends are starting to go back to more traditional names, so it is possible there could be. It could have been worse, i was almost called Leila, which rhymes with my surname.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kal
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that I have problems finding named things for the little 'un. Apparently everyone spells Katy with ie nowadays. We keep getting letters from her nursery, health visitor, even family with her name misspelt on them.
To be fair, it could be worse. Like a friend I had in school, called Leia Blood. Poor girl's parents were star wars fans. [Razz]

--------------------
Do the weetabix ask such questions? I think not!

Posts: 76 | From: Lytham, Britain | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zakor2
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zakor2   E-mail Zakor2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to Jamaica, Have a Nice Day...
Posts: 61 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Boring personal story alert:

I had a friend in high school named Wendy. Her folks wanted to name all their kids after Peter Pan kids (Wendy was the eldest child in the family). They stopped before completeing this insanity, naming their sons John and Ben instead.

Then they got a beagle when Wendy was in high school, she promptly named it "Michael". I asked her if she realized she had finished her parent's naming insanity. She didn't, but it was too late. to cover it up, she started calling him "Mikey".

The dog was Nana! They got it all wrong...

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages