snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » British v. American accent in foreign languages (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: British v. American accent in foreign languages
Anwndur
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anwndur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was asked this question last night, and would be interested to know the answer, since I have no idea. If a British person or an American was in France - speaking French - could a Frenchman tell, purely by their accent, whether they were British or American, or would they be unable to differentiate? For France, of course, read any foreign language country - the important point being that the Briton and American are not speaking English, but a foreign language.

--------------------
'I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right.' P.T. Barnam

Posts: 128 | From: Staffordshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been able to distinguish between British and Non-British peolpe here in Germany, but not from accent alone. It's rather a combination of accent, certain key-words used, and general behaviour. I didn't manage to distinguish whether you'r from the US or from Australia, though (without looking for the flag sewed to the backpack, that is).

Don "Are you lost? May I help you?" Enrico

Edited because it's "certain", not "ceratin"

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite the same but I once identified a group of Quebecois on a bus in Indonesia because they were speaking French with what sounded to me like a Canadian accent. So I guess it's possible in principle...

(edit) And one of my friends moved to France a couple of years ago and used to speak French with an Essex accent, so as an English person listening to her you could even tell which area she was from, let alone which country. I guess a French person who was good with accents could have done so too. I think she's losing it now because it was apparently hard for French people to understand...!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard for English people to understand let alone French! [Razz]

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As an anglophone, I can often tell when a French person is speaking English whether they are from France, Wallonia, Quebec, New Brunswick or Haiti.

So, I am pretty sure that this ability can be reversed.

The interesting thing about this, I believe, is that when I was travelling in France, the people there could tell that I learned my French in Quebec. This was because of my choice of words and different pronunciation of certain sounds.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UEL, I had the same experience in France - I was often asked what part of Canada I was from. Having learned my most of my french in Ottawa from native Quebecois, apparently the accent's very noticable. Although, a few asked 'are you from Montreal or Toronto?' cause apparently there are only 2 places in Canada!

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally, an opportunity to expound on something that first struck me ten years ago!

When British people speak Dutch, the accent ends up sounding German. Seriously. It's something both my parents have remarked upon after conversations with various teachers at my (international) school. Americans speaking Dutch sound American, but many Britons attempting same sound like Germans.

I can only guess it has to do with the fact that both high German and estuary English are pronounced at the front of the mouth, whereas the Dutch (and the Americans, I suppose) simply open their mouth wider when speaking. It's what produces the bewildering distinction between "short" and "long" vowels in Dutch - a short "a", "e" or "i" will turn into a long one when you pull back the corners of your mouth.

Conversely, the estuary variety of English is wont to produce what I like to (affectionately) call a Brit lisp, a pronunciation of the "s" that involves a considerable amount of false air. A prime example of someone sporting a Brit lisp would be Anna Maxwell Martin, who portrayed Esther Summerson in last year's BBC adaptation of Bleak House. It's more of a quirk than a lisp in the full Jamie Oliver sense of the word (though my guess is Mr Oliver would've stood out more on the Continent in this respect), I mean, there are opera singers out there getting away with Brit lisps. Yet to someone unused to it, the phenomenon really stands out. I never really noticed it myself until my sister pointed it out to me.

Blue "She finds it highly amusing, too" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spotting if it's an American or a Brit trying to speak Swedish is dead easy. I can pick them out in less than five words. An Irish dialect is even easier (but it tends to lend itself better to Swedish).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told when I was in Germany last summer that yes, in German you could tell simply by the speech who was British and who was American. Although, we were occasionally mistaken for Candian, too, because, "You're too polite to be Americans." [Roll Eyes] Also, "Americans only know English." [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian Blue Byrd:
Finally, an opportunity to expound on something that first struck me ten years ago!

When British people speak Dutch, the accent ends up sounding German. Seriously. It's something both my parents have remarked upon after conversations with various teachers at my (international) school. Americans speaking Dutch sound American, but many Britons attempting same sound like Germans.

Heh. My (English) sister has been told by her (German) colleagues that she sounds Dutch when speaking German!

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
An Irish dialect is even easier (but it tends to lend itself better to Swedish).

I used to know a blonde Swedish woman who spoke English with a Southern Irish accent... I think she was going for some sort of Dream Woman image...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anwndur
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anwndur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmmm interesting. I wonder, then, about a British person whose native dialect is broad West Country, which is thought by linguists to be the major influence on the development of the American dialect - unlike the Australian, which is clearly derived mainly from London speech.

--------------------
'I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right.' P.T. Barnam

Posts: 128 | From: Staffordshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I used to know a blonde Swedish woman who spoke English with a Southern Irish accent...
Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. I'm neither blond, female or speaks with an Irish accent.

While we are at Swedish people talking to Irishmen, a friend of mine was in England and was talking to a man of Irish heritage. My friend had noticed his dialect and when his heritage was mentioned, he tried to mention this by saying: "Yes, I noticed your R's". There were some misunderstandings.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother, a French teacher for 20 years, has had French natives tell her that she has a pretty American accent.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother is German, and she has lived in Texas for over twenty years now. That, friends, in an indescribable accent. She also speaks French and Italian, probably with a combination German/Texan accent. I can't see any way that the accent wouldn't cross over into the other languages. I imagine that would really throw a curveball at anyone trying to figure out where she's from by listening to her speak Italian or French.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
booyacrowd
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for booyacrowd   Author's Homepage   E-mail booyacrowd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in Paris a few years ago, I met a girl from a small town in Quebec at the hostel I was staying at. She was in tears because the Parisians could not understand her accent and asked her to speak English. She didn't know English! I ended up acting as a translator for a couple days. We had quite the hodge-podge group, me (a Torontonian with *some* French knowledge but manages to switch into Hebrew mid-sentence), a guy from St. Louis who for some reason spoke French with a southern drawl, an Aussie who didn't know a word of French but believed that if you yelled, people would understand you; and the Quebec girl.
Posts: 8 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am doubtful that people could tell the difference between an American and an Briton when speaking another language. I think how difficult it is to distinguish between English spoken with a Russian accent and a Polish accent and then I wonder if I could tell the difference between English spoken with a Moscow accent versus a Siberian accent. I think it would take an amazing ear to be able to do so. Not impossible but unlikely.

I realize that some people here have claimed to be able to do this but I wonder how much you were influenced by other factors such as clothing. When I travel to Europe I am usually pegged as an American before I open my mouth.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Germany (I was born in America) I was often mistaken for Dutch. Apparently in the Netherlands they watch more American TV and movies that are subtitled, not dubbed, they get more of the American English. In Germany they learn British English in schools, and the American movies and TV they show there are usually dubbed. So I agree with Blue Byrd that there's a more American > Dutch, English > German thing going on there.

On a side note, when I went to Paris I was often mistaken for a German trying to speak English! (I didn't know any French and I figured more people would know English than German). Maybe it was the clothes I wore.

On a side note, I was told by a German friend of mine that he absolutely could not understand anything Irish people said when they talk, he said they speak terrible English, lol.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would agree with Dewey. I think the visual cues are more important than the spoken word. I would doubt anyone could tell the difference between an American and a Brit in a phone conversation with any reliability.

And of course there is the issue of which sub-dialect they're speaking. Certainly there are several different sub-dialects of both British English and American English.

In practice I find it hard for people for whom english is not thier first language to tell Brits from Americans by accent alone. My daughers and I have been guessed as Americans, Canadians, Scotts, Kiwis and Aussies. From my experience when someone get it right they usually site some other cue such as dress, mannerisms and customs.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I speak Spanish quite well, but oddly. My Spanish teacher was from Madrid, but our textbook was 'keyed' to Mexican Spanish, so I speak with a Castillian accent, but us Mexican idiom. When I studied classical singing, of course, I had to learn Italian, and when I was in Italy I got mistaken for a Spaniard a lot. I also got taken for German or Swiss.

Among non-native-English people I'm often mistaken for British; I'm not sure why, although I've been told "Oh, but you're too polite to be American."

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a buddy in the Army that was kicked out of DLI (Defence Language Institute because he could NOT kick his accent.

He was from Houston.

Being a German speaker from eight years in school, we would have conversations... until I could no longer control myself and start laughing my butt off.

Please read the following - with a DEEP southern drawl:

Was machst du heute?

And, yes, I know he was bounced from DLI for his accent, as I saw his paperwork. That boy couldn't FALL DOWN without a drawl! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
My mother is German, and she has lived in Texas for over twenty years now. That, friends, in an indescribable accent.

I have a friend who can imitate it--and has.

She is very good at imitations (and accents, so far as I know). She lived in Stuttgart in 1978/79 and tells a story about an older Texas couple who were standing, listening politely to the spiel of some teenage beggars (my friend stuck around just in case the couple needed interpretation--they were obviously Texan). To her everlasting joy, they told the beggars where to get off in German with a strong Texas accent.

Like Malruhn, my friend just about died laughing listening to them.

Personally, if I can make people understand what I'm saying in French or Swedish, I don't worry about whether they can tell I'm American--I assume they can. Although (bizarrely enough) I've been told by two people from different South American countries that my accent is Spanish is very good. I don't speak Spanish, actually. I merely memorized one of those "beginning Spanish" conversations.

Seaboe

E because "couple" and "company" are not synonyms. Two Texans do not a company make!

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:

E because "couple" and "company" are not synonyms. Two Texans do not a company make!

It's sometimes hard to convince Texans of that....

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by booyacrowd:
We had quite the hodge-podge group, me (a Torontonian with *some* French knowledge but manages to switch into Hebrew mid-sentence), a guy from St. Louis who for some reason spoke French with a southern drawl, an Aussie who didn't know a word of French but believed that if you yelled, people would understand you; and the Quebec girl.

Sounds like the characters in a British comedy film.

I have lived for most of my life in 'tourist areas' (York and close to London) and I can usually tell Americans from French from German from Australians by other clues rather than speech. Clothing, mannerisms, size, etc are big clues. The biggest one though is the guide book they are holding.

Slightly OT: I often visit historic churches and I can usually tell American entries in the visitors' books. Their handwriting style is very distinctive.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an exercise for people that don't think there is a discernible difference.

Here are two clips of people speaking. The first is our former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, the other is a Swiss Police investigator.

Listen to the syllables that each emphasize more (first or last in the words). To me that is a key indicator.
Jean Chretien at 0:15 of the clip.
Swiss investigator at 1:27 of the clip.

Another indicator is how the the letters "th" are pronounced. In exaggeration, the European style is turned into a "z" sound while the North American style is a "d" sound.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:I often visit historic churches and I can usually tell American entries in the visitors' books. Their handwriting style is very distinctive.
Just curious: How so?

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EmmaInAu
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmmaInAu   E-mail EmmaInAu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh! As a native [and only] English speaker, who has only been out of the country once, to New Zealand, I have enough problems with people figuring out what country I'm from as it is. I can't imagine how it would be if I spoke another language! [People usually guess Canada, or American, but been here a while.]

Emma"You have an accent!"inAu

--------------------
Going blonde, one strand at a time.

Posts: 14 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:I often visit historic churches and I can usually tell American entries in the visitors' books. Their handwriting style is very distinctive.
I don't know if I'd be able to tell American handwriting but I usually notice a difference between British and continental European handwriting. Although we seem to be taught "handwriting" in school, there's a very laissez faire attitude to style, especially after primary school. The French and Germans for example seem to keep to a more formal style of joined up (cursive?) script - I don't know what the names of any kinds of handwriting are - sorry!

Anyway, when I was learning joined-up writing at school, we still didn't join g, y, j, r or b, or capital letters (except C for come reason).

A lot of British handwriting can look quite "printed", especially if the writer learned to write more recently than about 1960.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Il-Mari
We Three Blings

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Il-Mari         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Finland, people can generally tell the difference between people based on accent, as long as it's British, Irish or one of the more common American ones. However, ones from Africa, Indai, New Zealand, Australia and most other Anglophone countries/regions generally won't be recognized and are likely to be categorised either as American or British (though we don't really get that many visitors from Anglophone countries other than the EU ones and the US, so that's understandable in that way too).

I credit this to us getting most of our music and TV programs from the U.S. or England, making those types of speech relatively common for people. I assume it also helps that Finnish is totally phoenetic (in that you always write and speak letters and combinations therof the same way), making us generally good at analysing or learning other languages (plus we're required to take two additional languages in school, so we get a good deal of exposure to other languages).

- Il-Mari

--------------------
When you mix faith with science, you serve neither and weaken both.

- Richard P. Sloan and Larry VandeCreek

Posts: 1094 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Il-Mari
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Il-Mari         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and I don't mean to generalize, but your natural accent tends to have a large amount of effect on how well you can speak Finnish too (since pronounciation can be especially important in Finnish).

Based on my (limited) experiences: Americans and Canadians tend to speak slower than other Anglophones, and for some reason pick up a style of speaking that resembles that of immigrants from China (which I find really funny, since it doesn't seem very logical).

Brits can generally speak at a more 'normal' tone for Finnish, but generally speak worse in terms of pronounciation and word choice than other Anglophones in Finland.

Interestingly, Irish people can, at least based on my observations, learn to speak the best - except that they seem to have a tendency of speaking too fast and with the words too close together.

The above are all generalisations that I got from attending the International School of Helsinki and the Helsinki School of Economics - I take no responsibility for their accuracy in the real world in general.

- Il-Mari

--------------------
When you mix faith with science, you serve neither and weaken both.

- Richard P. Sloan and Larry VandeCreek

Posts: 1094 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rorgg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rorgg   E-mail Rorgg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, ones from Africa, Indai, New Zealand, Australia and most other Anglophone countries/regions generally won't be recognized and are likely to be categorised either as American or British
Don't worry about it, the other night we were watching TV and my wife told me she couldn't tell if someone on it had an accent or a speech impairment. I listened for a second... "She's South African!"

My South African co-worker was not so amused by this story.

Posts: 45 | From: Schaumburg, IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it quite weird the way Americans refer to a British Accent, it's a term you'll never hear on this side of the pond. While I appreicate there are regional differences in every country the Scots accent is hardly comaparible to Welsh, Irish or Estuary.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loulabelle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loulabelle   E-mail Loulabelle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I studied in Strasboug for a year. Strasbourg is a French city that has spent a lot of time in German hands over the centuries. Consequently the majority of people there speak both languages not to mention a local dialect which is sort of a mix of the two). Whenever I asked anybody something in French they would reply to me in German (fortunately I speak both); apparently I had a German accent.

Over the years I have tried really hard to develop an authentic French accent. I thought I was getting close but last summer when I asked my parisien boyfriend what he though he said that he'd never heard anyone speak French with an accent like mine... Judging by his laughter I haven't been entirely successful! lol

Posts: 6 | From: Oxford, Oxon, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
quote:
Just curious: How so?
It's the style. The handwriting often has loops and is a lot more cursive than British.

It's not the spelling. Very few, either American or British, can spell 'beautiful'! (Sometimes they write the date the American way, but most 'conform'. After all when in Rome...)

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent some time in Denmark several summers ago. My friends there told me my Danish sounded like Swedish. (The two languages are close enough together that speakers of one can usually understand the other, but they are distinct - at least if you speak them correctly!)

Incidentally, I've met a lot of foreigners who insist that they can tell different American accents apart. They're not nearly as good at it as they tend to think: I've been placed everywhere from Texas to Canada, but the one thing they always agree on is that I'm definitely not from the East Coast (which, in fact, I am).

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages