snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Language » US babies get global brand names (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: US babies get global brand names
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 214 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moosedog:
My first name was very popular in the few years before and after I was born. In college I had 3 fraternity brothers who also had it! (Confusing when someone called the house and asked for *****.)

My middle name is also popular, but one with about four common spellings.

According to your profile your first name is Bruce... and you know what they say about people named Bruce... [Big Grin]
Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lara
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by moonfall86:
quote:

Anybody ever call you Lara Croft? [Big Grin]
I like some unusual names. If I ever have a daughter, I like the names Cassia and Rhiannon (yeah, I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan.) For a boy, I like Aidan or Tristan.

Quite a bit. I'm a video game addict and I get that a lot from my gamer friends. [Smile] I'm also a big Fleetwood Mac fan! And I have a girl cat named Stevie.

I don't plan to have kids, but if I did I think I'd defintely find something unusual for them. Not "Air Conditioner" unusual, but different.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moosedog

quote:
Originally posted by 6-Ironsman:

I have however known people who are British or of British heritage that have three given names from birth.

I've seen several British authors with three or more initials before their names. (The British pattern seems to be using the initials of one's given names and writing out one's surname in full; Americans like to use one's first given name and the initial for one's middle name [or vice versa; my father never cared for his first name, and has gone all his life by {first initial} {middle name} {surname}.])
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As in J.R.R. Tolkein? I can remember wondering why he had two middle names.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother was given three given names - Hazel Ivy Olive. She dropped the two "middle" ones when she married my dad, and just used her maiden last name as her middle name.

She was born to two Minnesota Swedes living in Idaho, not British at all.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Castelucci

All of my parents' kids have three names. My oldest brother is Daniel Anthony Lee Lastname, my older brother is Jeffrey Shane Adam Lastname, my little sister is Jessica Lee Ann Lastname, and I am Stacy Elizabeth Marie Lastname. We all just use the first middle name as the 'official' one on documents and such. Not that difficult, really.
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the record, I'm not British. There may be Brit blood somewhere back on the family tree but in general, I'm the typical American mutt.
As I said, we had a name picked out (a 2-name name). I had been a little sad for a few weeks that I wouldn't be able to name a child after my aunt as that had been a dream of mine since she died.
One Sunday in church they were putting names of students on the screen & I noticed one had 3 names. So I mentioned to DH that I wanted to add my aunts middle name to our DD's name (we knew what she was but she wasn't born yet). He was a little suprised but since we wern't taking a name away & we could still use the nickname we'd chosen, he was fine with it.
I occasionally have to ask 'Legal name or what we call her?' but other than that, it's been no problem.

Morgaine

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eventually, I plan on naming some poor fictional character Fleur Pahlysche. I might tack "Lyezol" on to the beginning, but I'm not sure.

~Astrik "Be glad I don't have kids" Quichotte~

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dam9191
Deck the Malls

Icon 97 posted      Profile for dam9191   E-mail dam9191   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lara:
Speaking as someone who has an unusual name, it's not really horrible growing up. Don't feel sorry for us [Smile] ...

I feel much more sorry for the children whose parents name them whatever fad name is in vogue at the moment, forever pinning their conception to a brief few-year period in time (thus making lying about ages when they get older much more difficult! [Wink] )

I personally don't think Apple is such a bad name. Yes, there are some names that are going to get kids picked on. And those same kids are probably going to grow up and realize that they haven't defined or shouldn't define their identities based on what some 8-year-olds said about their names. And who knows, maybe having a unique name gives children a stronger sense of identity and makes them more self-confident.

Thank you Lara - this was what I was trying to get across. My husband also has an unusual name, so he knew the advantages & disadvantages when we picked our kids names (which are all from J.R.R. Tolkien's books).

My husband's name is Graden & his parents named him after his dad's good friend. [This friend is of Russian descent.]

So best to everyone & keep positive.

--------------------
"There is no Heaven
So I can't believe in Room 19."
-Bob Geldof

Posts: 207 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tizzie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my step grandpa is Robert Roberts and I know many other oddly named people including China Blue (first name and middle name) and her sister True Story (first name middle name). I kid not. Although I personally think Apple and Coc are goofy who am I to judge?

I'm all for unusual names as long as they're not cruel. However what is one persons cruel is probably just another persons cup of tea. I know when our kids (11 and 6) were born and mostly until recently when their names became a bit a little more stylish along with other old fashioned names we heard how our kids had horrible old people names. Well since they were named for my and my husband grandparents (Jonas Henry-11 and Geneveive Thea-6) yes they were "old people" names LOL.

Tizzie

--------------------
I have a very firm grasp on reality! I can reach out and strangle it any time!

Posts: 537 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's nothing wrong with those names, Tizzie. I kind of like the name Jonas.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
festus

There's a kid in my daughter's school named
Xzavier. And one named Timmytheus. And a girl named Lexxus. Puh-lease.

SiriusSnape
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiriusSnape   E-mail SiriusSnape   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Elizabeth City, NC in 1983 - there was a "Miss America Jones" listed in the phone book.

I myself came very very close to being named Liberty Bell or either Freedom Peace when I was born. Luckily my father's parents intervened.

[Wink]

--------------------
All fiction is cultural history.
All history is cultural fiction.

Posts: 292 | From: Greenville, North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LtColCarter:
Also, while in ROTC in college, one of my instructors was Patrick Marvel, and his rank was Captain, so you guessed it: Captain Marvel. It wasn't much better when he got promoted, because then he became a "Major Marvel."

I lived down the street at Ft. Leavenworth from a Captain named Kirk.

I've noticed that "Robert Lee" is still a very popular first and middle name in the South.

We named our daughter Menolly ('Nolly for short), after the character from the 'Dragonriders' series by Anne McCaffery (and we asked her for permission, too). It's just different enough to be unique, but not too strange and pronounced like it's spelled. She does get called Melanie occassionally.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

(I apologize in advance if anything I say has been said already, but 8 pages was a bit daunting, so I read page one and page eight [Big Grin] )

On the topic of brand names, I went to school with a Portia. Until I saw it spelled, I assumed she was named after the car (Porsche, yes, I know it's "Porsh", but you wouldn't believe how many people called it "Porsha" when I was a kid). To be honest, I do not know if she was named after the character in Merchant of Venice, or if it was a family name.

Unusual names, well, I know many. My husband grew up knowing three sisters named Sunshine, Amoura, and Viva (I met Amoura, the other two I haven't), as an example. This town is full of hippie children. And the children of said hippie children.

I won't cover them all, that would be the longest post ever.

To make a very very long story a tad shorter: We named our daughters Keelin and Sage. Keelin is the phonetic spelling of an old Irish name (Caoilfhionn), and Sage was a last minute "You pick it, honey" because I was out of ideas. Keelin was a name that we both agreed on from long before I was pregnant, Sage was picked because he knew a girl in high school named Sage, and he liked it. (Sidenote: I really disliked it, but I picked the middle name, which he didn't like, so we were even)

Middle names: Meadowrhayne and Riverwulfe. I'll explain. My middle name translates as "meadow", and I am fond of that word. It's pleasant and peaceful. I have always adored the name Rain (same reason as "meadow"), but never the spelling, so she got my "middle name" plus an addition. Riverwulfe: well, Wolf has always always been my favourite name, and if I had had a boy, his middle name (if not his first) was always going to be Wolf. I knew that this was going to be my last pregnancy ever, and I wanted one Wolf child. The spelling was due to me trying to feminise it, same with the addition of "river", as water always seemed feminine to me.

Now, why why why even bother to have such strange middle names?

When I was growing up, I was the only one I knew with my name, with the exception of one actress. As a child, I loathed the name, but as a teen and adult, and as I saw more and more with my name appear out of the woodwork, I began clinging to my name. It was mine! How dare TV shows and radio commercials use it? How dare those girls have my name? (I'm over that now, but at the time, I went from unique name, to not unique name over night almost.) I can never guarantee that my children's first names will be unique. In fact, I know that they are not. I have seen Caoilfhionn in movie credits and Googling it comes up with 770 hits, not all of them are to baby name sites. I know girls named Keely (a nickname we discourage, since Keely is it's own name, and common out here). I, oddly, know several boys named Sage. I never thought of it as a boy's name until after she was born. She asks me sometimes, "why did you give me a boys name?" I tell her I didn't, those other mommies are wrong.

The addition of the middle names is to insure uniqueness. For years I hyphonated my first and middle name just to seperate me from the others with my first name.

I wanted them to have names that were their very own. I did not want them to hate their names, and I did not want them to have freakish first names. Middle names, well, they have always been told that they can use their initial if they prefer. Niether one does. They do like their names, at least the eldest likes her whole name, the youngest likes her middle name, but not her first one. She would rather be Crystal or Rose.... or Mary. Go figure.

Odd... unusual... strange names. But they're pretty names, they are unique but not unpleasant, and for the most part (other than my youngest not wanting a 'boy name'), the kids like their names. (If you think those names are odd, I could have lengthened this post telling about the boy names we picked, and all of Sage's alternate names before she finally wound up with Sage.)

So much for shortening the story. Sorry. [Frown]

ranran "names are like fingerprints, only people identify them better" yousei

George Kingfish Stevens
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Kingfish Stevens     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Luther Vandross after his mom's favorite pasta.
Posts: 399 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ranran yousei:
(Porsche, yes, I know it's "Porsh", but you wouldn't believe how many people called it "Porsha" when I was a kid)

Actually, it is "Pour-sha". AFAIK, only Americans pronounce it "Porsh" (never met a Brit or Aussie who did, but maybe some do), partially because we're not used to verbalizing a trailing 'e'. Oddly enough, the movie 'Risky Business' popularized the correct pronounciation, but many people assumed it was an incorrect, snobbish version.

BTW, my boss is German and used to work for Porsche, so everyone here uses 'Pour-sha', and it now seems odd to hear it pronounced 'Porsh'. I'm also used to Jaguar being pronounced 'Jag-you-ah' around here, too.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amperage

quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:
Originally posted by ranran yousei:
(Porsche, yes, I know it's "Porsh", but you wouldn't believe how many people called it "Porsha" when I was a kid)

Actually, it is "Pour-sha". AFAIK, only Americans pronounce it "Porsh" (never met a Brit or Aussie who did, but maybe some do), partially because we're not used to verbalizing a trailing 'e'.
Thank you! I was about to reply when I saw your post. I have a 928S (cost the same as the Miata I wanted and my husband doesn't have nightmares about me flipping it over on the interstate) and it's amazing how many people honestly think the correct pronunciation is "porsh". If I'm not mistaken, Porshe was the name of the founder's daughter and it's just a variant or the Germanized spelling of the name Portia.
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, Actually his name is Ferdinand Porsche and he was no slouch at designing cars!

Try working at a racetrack, where Porsche owners will disembowel you for saying 'Porsh'!

On the subject of the girl's name which started this, I'v seen it as spelled 'Porsha'.

Atlanta "and it's easier to spell than Lamborghini, too!" jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SlinkyBinky

If I'm not mistaken, Porshe was the name of the founder's daughter and it's just a variant or the Germanized spelling of the name Portia. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Um, I think you may be confusing your car name origin stories. Perhaps this is who you were thinking of:-

Mercedes

RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend knows someone that named his daughter Heaven Lee.

One of my nephews is named Myrcial James Armand (this is where his last name would be). His step-sister's name is Olivia Madison and his little half-sister's name is Chloe Ibanez and his little half-brother is Michael Alexander. And if I went into detail about how they're all related, that would be a long, confusing post.

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
Actually, it is "Pour-sha".

Hmmm

Guess my suburban upbringing is even more backwater than I had thought. And here I "corrected" my mother, even after 3 years of German in school.

Now I have to tell my mother she's right. I'll never live it down.

ranran "I've always said 'Jag-yu-ar' not 'Jag-war', be it kitty or car" yousei

super chicken

I personally know of a person who named her baby Fed Corn. No kidding, saw the birth certificate and everything.
Then there's always the people who name their poor kids thins like Chlamydia, Placenta, etc.
I also knew a woman whose first name was Rotunda. Yes, she was a large woman. Poor thing!

Amperage

quote:
Originally posted by SlinkyBinky:
If I'm not mistaken, Porshe was the name of the founder's daughter and it's just a variant or the Germanized spelling of the name Portia.

Um, I think you may be confusing your car name origin stories. Perhaps this is who you were thinking of:-

Mercedes [/QB][/QUOTE]

Ah. Thank you.

Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Portia is (supposedly) derived from the latin word for 'offering'. It was popularized by Shakespeare's 'Merchant of Venice', which predates Ferdinand Porsche's company by quite a few years...

--------------------

Dragon Wench
Popular Seance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon Wench   E-mail Dragon Wench   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well here is a name story for you. My parents could not agree on a name and after many arguments my father got frustrated and took a map of California and Nevada and taped it to the wall. He then threw a dart at it and it landed on Fallon, NV. so that is my name...Fallon

--------------------
"this reality is realy just a f**ked up dream" ~Papa Roach

Posts: 81 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i knew a guy who's name was Richard Sweat...and for some reason WANTED to go by the name Dick. Who would do that to themselves?

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hoo boy, where to start?

Working nearly 3 years of data entry for the state during college, my favorite names I ran across were "Yua Bangor" and "Loyal Lay."

Had an aunt nicknamed "Tic." (Her little brother couldn't pronounce Mathilda.)

I also had an Uncle Kraut. Nicknamed as such because when he turned 18, his friends decided he'd outgrown "Cabbagehead." To this day, I am hard-pressed to remember his real name.

My brother who is a horseman, an ex-stunt rider (horses), ex-rodeo rider, and who has been balding since his 20's (all this is important, so be patient wiht me), had a son and named him Calvin Philip. We were a bit disappointed the boy wasn't named after my brother, until we looked up the names in one of those name-translators. Calvin = bald, Philip = lover of horses. Worked out after all!

Of course, my name translates to "Little Hope." ;-P

Went to high school with a "Tillie Teets."

My ex-husband went to high school with a girl named T9C Hammond. Hammond was not her parents' last name, but the city she was born in.

Went to law school with a good ol' mountain boy named "Jefferson Davis." (Man, he was a neat guy, still miss him!)

Great Grandparents were Swedish. Johan Johanson came to the US in the 1800's, and wrote home to his parents, saying he was lonely, could they please send him a wife? I swear they had a sense of humor, because they hand-picked a girl named Johanna.

In researching the family tree on the other side, found out that at one time, "Nimrod" was a semi-popular name in my family.

Last but not least, my mother rhymed my three older siblings, who were all born within five years of each other - First names were all different, but the middle names were Helen, Ellen, and Alan. Nine years later when I came along, Dad put his foot down, and said no more rhyming. So I got Nadine for my middle name. After my grandfather died when I was 15, Grandma had my mom and aunt's names put on the back of the tombstone for geneaological purposes. Dad was looking at the tombstone, and saw the names together and realized, "Georgia Pauline, Janice Charlene.... Paula Nadine. CRAP!" Mom managed to hide the rhyming for 15 years. Go Mom!

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moosedog

Then there's the lady who named her three sons Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael. Angles they were not.
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom is Pat. She had a brother named Don. Dad is a Don. Uncle Don Married a Pat. Two of their kids are Donna and Patty. Not so much a "What were they thinking" but a cool coincedence.
Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dom

Where my girlfriend is working, there was a guy named Wayne Gretzky Gauthier...
I personnally spoke to a Robert Robert...
I heard of a guy named Jesus Buffet...

mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 303 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I hate the unisex names...I go by Teri, never had a problem with it until high school, when there were 3 other guys with my name...grr...It's always difficult to decipher if one is male or female when calling customers on the phone (I worked at Best buy for 3 years, and called rainchecks a lot). You never know whether to address a person as sir or ma'am.

What I totally don't understand is some of the people out there who make up names. When I worked in medical records, I had to file lab results for the newborns, and whoo--eee you won't believe what some of these people name their kids!!! I've noticed that it's mostly very young (like 16-18) minority mothers who give their kids names that look like they pulled letters out of a hat. 'Ah'jid' and 'Qua-shun' come to mind. Also noted are names like My'Angel, and Majick.

I also knew a girl in high school whose legal, given name was LaTrina...It took all my strength to make a Robin Hood: Men in tights joke.

mrs.hi"first names should not have punctuation!"C

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dom

oups, forgot to mention...

My cousin's name is Liberty...

My girlfriend is pregnant and one of my friends suggested that we name the baby Leftovers...I'm still laughing this one [Wink]

Up here in Montreal, the Montreal Canadians's goalie's name is Jose Theodore, well someone in his family is name Theo Theodore...so much for the originality!

Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I had one of those wonderful it's a small world-type moments. I don't know if anyone remembers my post about Shithead (pronounced Shuh-theed), but I was talking with another grad student in my reading class. He teaches elementary school in Virginia, and apparently in a first-grade class at the school is...Shithead! When the teacher called on him the first day, she said, "Um...um...S. Lastname?" and then asked him on the pronounciation. Poor, poor child. I figure it's got to be the same one that my dad took care of at the hospital, because I pray two people would not be stupid enough to burden their child with that name.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
woogie monster

Silly sounding married names. I used to know a Phyllis Willis and a Terri Terry.
Then there is a family my ex was close to. The dad's name is Paul, mom is Pauline, and the identical twins are Paula and Paulette.

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages