snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Walt Disney: man or mouse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Walt Disney: man or mouse?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ask just about anyone how he or she feels about Walt Disney and you are likely to get either a beaming, misty-eyed tribute from those who recall him fondly and enjoy his animations and theme parks, or a scowling, brow-furrowed denunciation from those who see him as the great Satan of modern mass culture.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man or mouse? Can I vote for option C: Ungodly man/mouse hybrid, the result of his creators meddling in gods domain?

As for wide-eyed artist/cynical manipulative businessman question in the article, I really dont see why he cant be both. He was obviously a pretty sharp businessman, but I dont think that an eye for public taste automatically precludes you from making art.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's kind of amusing how often the Los Angeles Times' Op-Ed pages run opinion pieces about topics that have no currency other than that their authors have new books to sell. The 40th anniversary of Walt Disney's death wasn't exactly a big news story around here.

quote:
As for wide-eyed artist/cynical manipulative businessman question in the article, I really dont see why he cant be both. He was obviously a pretty sharp businessman, but I dont think that an eye for public taste automatically precludes you from making art.
I'd agree, although I wouldn't necessarily say he was a "sharp" businessman. He was certainly a gutsy businessman who was willing to risk everything he had (more than once) based upon his confidence that he could successfully gauge public taste and create commercial success out of it. But finances were more of a necessary evil to him than something he took an avid interest in and shrewdly calculated.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
snopes

quote:
It's kind of amusing how often the Los Angeles Times' Op-Ed pages run opinion pieces about topics that have no currency other than that their authors have new books to sell. The 40th anniversary of Walt Disney's death wasn't exactly a big news story around here.
Although in all fairness I tend to think that Macleans is heading in the same direction, I also need to point out that this is not necessarily a bad thing. I bought the book by the authour of the article I liked a couple of times and, frankly, in all cases I found articles more interesting. At times it is harder to stretch a single concept over 200+ pager than to squeeze it into something newspaper-friendly.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages