snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Mom: Talking Doll Called My Daughter 'a Slut'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mom: Talking Doll Called My Daughter 'a Slut'
copychief
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copychief         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's supposed to say sweet things to little girls like, "You're a wonderful friend," but push its button the wrong way and the Little Mermaid Shimmering Lights Ariel doll may say something else — "You're a slut," according to a California mother.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/16202156.htm

Posts: 4 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Her mother said she would much rather be dancing around the apartment with a singing Ariel than a donkey and baby Jesus.
Who wouldn't?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny it's the same day i came across this video:

NFBSK warning:
http://www.videosift.com/story.php?id=22938

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
``I think this woman should calm down and get a new doll,'' she said.
That says it all.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Herrera also bought several similar Ariel dolls at Wal-Mart, which she had planned to sell on eBay. She said she likes to sell the toys online for homebound people.
She bought these dolls, stirred up a controversy, and wants to make big profit on E-bay now. Making a profit on E-bay is one thing, but don't disguise it as helping the homebound.

sparklygirl

--------------------
Few things are harder to put up with than a good example. -- Mark Twain
_ _______________________________ _

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lemon Demon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon Demon   E-mail Lemon Demon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a recording of the doll saying this anywhere? Because the way the article puts it, it sounds as though the doll clearly says the phrase, but could it be that The mother simply misheard a glitch in the recording that comes out after trying to play the original phrase three times fast?

--------------------
"Realizing that one could Time Travel within his own liftime, Dr. Sam Becket stepped into the Quantum leap accelerator...and Vanished."-Quantum Leap

Posts: 44 | From: Cameron Park, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first link had Real Audio clips in it. I honestly couldn't hear anything that sounded like words at all. It just sounded like a glitchy recording to me. What a surprise.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pranks and profit-making aside, I suspect that something in human hardware and software makes it our nature to search for and create meaning where there is none,
as well as where there is, or may be.

That same intelligence which allows up to generalize, synthethize, theorize, deduct and induct, doesn't know when to shut off, and we imagine things - subliminal messages, dirty bits in Disney films, etc - that aren't there, or are simply random.

Now I'm off to listen to some rock and roll backwards, and look for Jesus, Mary, and Elvis images in my toast, pancakes, or tortillas. My Paranormal Barbie told me to!

There's a rocky outcrop at a beach near my home that looks like Joseph Smith, but it also happens to resemble any New England man in an early 19th century profile portrait.

Sorry to mock; it's MY nature.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fyndir

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fyndir   Author's Homepage   E-mail Fyndir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Listened to the clips repeatedly.

It's not deliberately saying anything, it's just a freak mixing of the other phrases which, when you know what to look for, sounds slightly like the naughty words described.

Posts: 2 | From: Scotland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When i turned it up, and concentrated, i heard it. It's not clear, and only come through because it repeats. At first, i was getting "Slu- you're a, Slu- you're a", and then the mind adjusts. Also, the "t" sound isn't really articulated; it just cuts off, and the mind assumes it's a "t". I think if i told you that it said "You're a sluk" before you'd heard it for yourself, you'd hear that.

Also, it says in the article that the brother was jamming the button into the doll's back... did anyone complain about what the doll said before this? I can't believe that this was intentionally put into the doll.

And finally:

Quote:
And some say they see the dandelions Simba plays with in ``The Lion King'' spelling out s-e-x.

I thought the sex was in the swirling dust.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the so-called "SEX" from Lion King happens when a grown-up Simba flops down to the ground and a bunch of floaty seeds wash up into the air. And, as I thought, there's something on the main page about this.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard "A-you're a spuh A-you're a sparkle a-you're a spuh A you're a spuh...". Odd that the second time it says "A-you're a", you can hear "Sparkle" in a normal, clear Ariel voice (as opposed to the tinny recorded voice). "Sparkle" is a word used in one of the phrases it says, "You're a" part of another phrase.

Trish "Darn loopholes" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brings back memories of going to Wal-Mart with my brother and squeezing all the Teletubby dolls to see if they really yelled dirty words...

ETA: They didn't.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyndir:
Listened to the clips repeatedly.

It's not deliberately saying anything, it's just a freak mixing of the other phrases which, when you know what to look for, sounds slightly like the naughty words described.

I didn't listen, but that makes sense:

quote:
``You're a slu-ut,'' the Disney doll seems to say with a smile, but only when you push her button three times fast, in a particular rhythm.

Played with at a regular speed, Ariel says three sentences very sweetly: ``You're a wonderful friend,'' ``Sparkles are so beautiful,'' and ``Life is the bubbles.''

So it's probably saying "You're a [...] Sp- [...] Lif- [...]" and singing a song. That would take four presses to stop the "Life" part, unless the woman thinks it's actually saying "You're a slut is beautiful".

Hmm, now we need a soldier toy whose phrases include

"I'll take the flank!"

"You need to get under cover!"

"Up with America!"

"The battle is won!"

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't load the audio but I'm guessing you're close. I see it likey as getting the "you're a" from the first phrase, then the S of sparkles with the L of life and the 'uh' sound of bubbles giving a sssssllllluuuuuhhhh sound which could possibly be construed as becoming "slut" if one choosed to believe that was what one heard.

Does the doll stop one phrase and start the next when you next press the button? That would explain almost everything but going from life to bubbles without the is the.

Go on, run a grammar check over that sentence. [Wink]

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberry Limeade

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberry Limeade   Author's Homepage   E-mail Strawberry Limeade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy Quigley:
Brings back memories of going to Wal-Mart with my brother and squeezing all the Teletubby dolls to see if they really yelled dirty words...

ETA: They didn't.

I have one of those. From reference.com:

quote:
However, this did not stop people from wrongly interpreting the sounds that the original version of the Talking Po doll produced as "faggot faggot," when in fact they were "fai dee, fai dee" (Cantonese for "faster, faster").
I'm no expert in Cantonese, but my doll doesn't sound like that. It also sounds like it says "bite my butt". Endless amusement.

Strawberry "And 'faster, faster' sounds dirty too! [Razz] " Limeade

--------------------
"My artist statement is incomprehensible and therefore full of deep significance." - Calvin

Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparklygirl:
quote:
Herrera also bought several similar Ariel dolls at Wal-Mart, which she had planned to sell on eBay. She said she likes to sell the toys online for homebound people.
She bought these dolls, stirred up a controversy, and wants to make big profit on E-bay now. Making a profit on E-bay is one thing, but don't disguise it as helping the homebound.

sparklygirl

Damn skippy. SHe's trying to get people to buy, plain and simple. This infuriates me. If she was, as the article says, a "Christian mother with values," then she'd be GIVING the dolls to the homebound. The homebound, if they can buy off of eBay, also can buy from online stores at, I assume, a smaller price. I hope someone calls this NFBSK what she really is.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by copychief:
It's supposed to say sweet things to little girls like, "You're a wonderful friend," but push its button the wrong way and the Little Mermaid Shimmering Lights Ariel doll may say something else — "You're a slut," according to a California mother.

Well, if the shoe fits...

[Smile]

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fujicakes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fujicakes   E-mail Fujicakes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:

"I'll take the flank!"

"Up with America!"

"The battle is won!"

[lol]

quote:
However, this did not stop people from wrongly interpreting the sounds that the original version of the Talking Po doll produced as "faggot faggot," when in fact they were "fai dee, fai dee" (Cantonese for "faster, faster").
I had a cousin who owned one and vowed not to use it again because it supposedly said that. When I listened to it, it sounded like she was saying "paddle, paddle". The Po, not my cousin.
Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:

"I'll take the flank!"

"Up with America!"

"The battle is won!"

Have you seen Flushed Away? It features a talking soldier doll that says, among other things, "Put down your weapons of mass destruction!"

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the whole talking doll cussing at you reminds me of my talking nana puppy, it would cuss a blue streak at me, we called the company and they didnt believe us, 3 months later they had been recalled an dthey stopped making them altogether.
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages