snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Der Fuehrer's Face

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Der Fuehrer's Face
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 15 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, a friend of mine just sent me this link.

It's of a Donald Duck cartoon. The page states the cartoon was banned for... well... you'll see.

Is there ANY way this could be real? [Confused]

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's very real and one of a series of movies made as wartime propaganda by Disney starring Donald Duck.

The film was released on January 1, 1943 and one an Academy Award for Animated Short Film.

It's available on DVD on the box set Walt Disney: On the Front Lines

De Fuehrer's Face at Disney.com

De Fuehrer's Face at IMDB

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh my o.o Thank you.

...and now, the question is, WHY? [Razz]

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm not sure what scares me more, the song that popped into my head when I read the title or the fact that that was the song being sung in the cartoon!

Pixie"the things I learn"chic

Edit: Had I read the stuff Joe Bentley linked than I would have known that's where the song came from and would not have been surprised. I still always thought that they "heil" in that song meant to pass gas in Hitlers face. Made sense when all I had to go on was the song and the horns after each "heil" was said [Big Grin]

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
*Shrugs* Propaganda was common and accepted at the time.

"De Fuehrer's Face" is actually pretty tame compared to some of the Bugs Bunny or Dr. Seuss or Superman propaganda from the time.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
inkiemouse, are you asking why they made the cartoon?

I'm assuming it's because the entire world was embroiled in a war where millions of people died, thanks almost singlehandedly to one madman and his nasty facist buddies, and there was a real threat of that madman gaining even more power than he already had - plus his equally facist allies - and I'm guessing people figured he was fair game to say nasty things about and make fun of?

Frankly the last person I'd worry about offending if I'd lived during WW2 would have been Hitler - it's kind of like, if you don't want people to make fun of you, then don't try to take over the world...

people tend not to like other people who try to do that. lol.

Were these cartoons "propaganda" as in commissioned and strictly controlled/directed by an arm of the government, or were these just artistic/commercial reflections of what most Americans were feeling at the time? eta - I see some of them were in fact commissioned. I have to wonder if anyone really objected to it much though?

-as far as strictly racial incorrectness, well, we did that to our own citizens all the time without a second thought back then, so it's hardly suprising we'd do the same to a country we were in a profoundly bitter war with. - look at the treatment of blacks in "Dumbo" and Native Americans in "Peter Pan."

edited

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There's also the disturbing Education For Death which was put out the following year.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I thought that was a really cool cartoon. Kind of the same idea as when South Park's kids went to Afghanistan and saw Bin Laden....just propaganda for the home team.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by redsnapperdragonfly:
Were these cartoons "propaganda" as in commissioned and strictly controlled/directed by an arm of the government, or were these just artistic/commercial reflections of what most Americans were feeling at the time?

A little of both. The US government commissioned some, both for propaganda and training films (WB's Private Snafu series, for example), and some seem to be done by the studios on their own. Walt Disney, anti-nazi already, needed no push from the government. In fact, he produced "Victory Through Air Power" to influence the military and the president in favor of strategic bombing. It may have influenced FDR's decision to back that concept.

quote:
Originally posted by Radical Dory:
There's also the disturbing Education For Death which was put out the following year.

It's chilling. Very well done, and Disney's darkest work ever. It captures a sense of what the Nazis were trying to do to the German youth.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Donald-a-Nazi-chow
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages