snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Mickey Mouse stolen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mickey Mouse stolen?
e.grace
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for e.grace   E-mail e.grace       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a little legend in my town that says that Walt Disney travelled through here before Mickey Mouse was created, & sees a little wooden toy mouse named Micky. A toy-maker here made him. Then, BAM!, Mickey Mouse was created & is a sucess. My town is sad. The End.

I've seen the toy, & it looks eerily similar to Mickey. The only problem is is that the toy maker didn't put a date on the toy, so no one knows if it was made before or after Disney's Mickey was made.

Have any of you heard about this?

--------------------
"Starbucks. Oh man, that place is like the promised land."

Posts: 14 | From: Middletown, PA (TMI go BOOM!) | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a Mickey Mouse toy created by a company called Performo. Wikipedia has this to say on the subject:

quote:

The similarities between both mice has led many to believe that Walt Disney stole his most successful idea from the Performo Toy Company. Apparently, the wooden mouse was very popular in New York City (where Performo's distributor was located) back in 1928, coincidently, at the same time Disney thought of the idea for his animation studio's new character.

There is a well known legend in Middletown about how Performo Toy Company sued The Walt Disney Company, but there are no records nor evidence of any legal action between the two parties.

A conspiracy theory may be easy to pull out from this story, however, History Detectives, a television program on PBS, conducted an extensive investigation on the topic. It concluded that it was a series of generic mice that featured in Felix the Cat (1922), Milton Mouse from Aesop's Film Fables (1920) or Ignatz Mouse from Krazy Kat (1914), which provided the inspiration for Mickey Mouse.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Performo_Toy_Company

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mickey Mouse was invented on the train from New York to California. His wife was sitting next to him, loved the character, and asked Walt what his name is.

Walt originally named him Mortimer. His wife said "No one is going to like a mouse named Mortimer. Something like Mickey would work better."

and, TADA! Mickey Mouse was born!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 603 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mickey Mouse was invented on the train from New York to California.
The "Mickey was invented on a train" legend is the official Disney family story, but others maintain that Mickey was actually invented by Ub Iwerks (inspired by a panel of Meeker cartoon animals he spotted while flipping through magazines), and the Mortimer/Mickey name debate occurred only after Walt and his wife had returned from New York and Iwerks had presented his new mouse character creation to them.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah. Performo stole form a 14th-century fresco.
[Wink]

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of the woman who tried to sue Dreamworks for the IP on SKRAT from Ice Age. She had some website devoted to a squirrel-rat which I think she called SQRAT. The two looked nothing alike though and she lost the case.

The Wiki link to that toy looks NOTHING AT ALL like micky mouse. There is simply NOTHING in common between the two other than that they are comical depictions of mice.

Of course comical depictions of mice are going to have some things in common. The fresco shot looks more like micky due to the large ears which are his calling card. But other than 'has large ears' and 'is mouse' there is nothing more in common.

Mickey was a hit not just because of his static image, but moreso his animations and personality shown through those animations.

It is my belief that Mickey was a hit because of the studio support, merchandising, etc... IMO Mickey would have been JUST as big of a success had he been called mortimer, or if he was a cat, or a dog, or a goldfish, or an alien.

Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Page Three:
Nah. Performo stole form a 14th-century fresco.
[Wink]

Fox with mange.

Ub Iwerks drew Mickoids for years before Mickey came to be officially christened. In the "Alice in Cartoonland" series that Disney did in Kansas City before he eventually migrated to the California sun, there are dozens of little mice who look almost exactly like the 1928-model Mickey.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eccles9
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eccles9     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention that M. Mouse Esq. is very similar to Disney's earlier 'Oswald the lucky rabbit' to whom he lost the rights.

As mentioned though, it was Ub Iwerks who created the character. Disney, for all his genius and shortcomings, was more of a producer and director than a character designer...

--------------------
'Do not follow in the footsteps of the wise, seek instead what they sought' Matsuo Basho

Posts: 97 | From: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Trixie Tang
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trixie Tang   E-mail Trixie Tang   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love that Simpsons episode.
Posts: 46 | From: Donaldsonville, LA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 604 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mouse-shaped waffles.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gotta love this, from the fresco story:

quote:
But art historians are not convinced the water-damaged depiction is a mouse at all.

The figure is portrayed kneeling in front of a depiction of St Christopher.

Historians say the creature may in fact be a weasel, which in medieval times was believed to give birth through its ears.

I was not aware of that.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't Mickey's original name was Willie (as in Steamboat Willie)? I always heard the "Walt's wife didn't like the name" story in regards to the name Willie.

BTW, Mortimer Mouse is now Mickey's antagonist. He is taller, uglier, and has a longer snout. I have no idea when this character was created, but he seems to be a more modern addition.

That toy doesn't look anything like Mickey Mouse. It's possible the name is just a coincedence.

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
Wasn't Mickey's original name was Willie (as in Steamboat Willie)? I always heard the "Walt's wife didn't like the name" story in regards to the name Willie.

Mickeys original name was suggested to be Mortimer, but that was shot down by Disney's wife as she said that kids wouldn't like it.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages