snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney Might Let Pirates Swarm Tom Sawyer Island (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Disney Might Let Pirates Swarm Tom Sawyer Island
Jinxie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jinxie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know a couple who's names are Kevin (f) & Lynn (m). It threw me for a bit, when I was introduced to her. I thought I had heard wrong.

--------------------
Go Jimmie Go! This is your year!

Posts: 676 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:
He also hanged one of my munchkins -- to "argue" against me by supporting the point I was trying to take. Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the posts before they respond...

-Tim

Yes, she did that.

And you hanged one of mine, by assuming the sex of the poster from a screen name, instead of checking the profile. [Big Grin]

And you hanged one of mine by...

Never mind [lol]

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Also, you're asking people not to get PO'd if you call them by the wrong pronoun, but you refuse to use the word "they" as a singular pronoun because you hate it. It gives the impression that your own preferences are more important than anyone else's.

No, I won't use the word "they" as a singular pronoun because it is NOT a singular pronoun. For instance, in the sentence "Randy didn't want to come because they were feeling sick" leaves one thinking "who are 'they'"? What we really need is a singular, gender-free pronoun. But the language lacks one. I'd much rather add a new word to the language than overload the word 'they'...

I'm pretty much tired of talking about this subject [fish] Frankly, I feel that if anyone is so worried about being called the wrong pronoun, they should use a VERY obvious screen name like "Ms. Smith" or "Danny Boy". But I suppose some would claim I should still look at the profile, where they clearly stated they did that just to be ironic [dunce] . Let's get back to discussing UL's and I'll go back to my cave and get ready to go out and club a wooly mammoth for dinner...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alternatively, one could just be polite enough not to make assumptions. S/he is perfectly legitimate, and think how much valuable mammoth-clubbing time you'd save peering into profiles and talking about the assumptions you've made.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Call me clueless. Apparantly it is easier to offend someone and end up getting backlash for it (at least a page worth!) then to take the 5 seconds it takes to look at a profile.

You never did answer my question. Is it ok to address you as "she" as your name, Rehcsif, is not gender specific? You state that people should do something that you do not do. Will you be changing your screen name to make it easier for others to address you?

BTW, there's a kettle on the line that wishes to speak to you.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy @#$#, did I start all this with my "copywrite/copyright" quibble? I'm sorry, really.

I am considering changing my name to "POB is a boy" in honor of Robyn's old "Mickey is a gurrl" name. If only she hadn't changed it! People wouldn't have to actually look at her profile, or even her blog, which is linked in her sig!

Actually, I've been referred to as female several times on another board (which is largely made up of women). This, despite my name being in my sig, and references in the posts to my wife. I usually just think it's funny, since my masculinity has been called into question in real life also. [Wink]

Anyhow, since I knocked down the first domino of pedantry here, I hereby apologize to all Snopesters of all sexes, and invite all participants in this thread to cast one free aspersion on my character, background, profession (that one's easy), height, weight, parentage, or masturbation frequency. Go ahead, get it out of your systems, and then let's move on to something else, okay?

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vanilla:
You never did answer my question. Is it ok to address you as "she" as your name, Rehcsif, is not gender specific? You state that people should do something that you do not do. Will you be changing your screen name to make it easier for others to address you?

Sorry, I missed that question. I would most certainly NOT be offended if you did that. Don't assume I'm hypocritical [Smile] . This (for either of us), of course, should only last until corrected...

I guess my point was that if someone has a name that one would typically associate with a particular gender, it is fine for them (or someone else) to gently point out the mistake. It's less fine for someone to say "hey you dolt, you just called a femele a 'he'". An honest mistake shouldn't be 'offensive'. There are plenty of sexist things to be offended at in the world, a simple little assumption that 'Tim is a boy' shouldn't be one of them! (IMHO, of course).

OK, now I'm thoroughly through discussing this! [Big Grin]

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune chan
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune chan   E-mail Kitsune chan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
May I suggest that we continue this thread and talk about pirates on TSI?
Just a thought ;-)

Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune chan:
May I suggest that we continue this thread and talk about pirates on TSI?
Just a thought ;-)

Ubet! Here we go:

OK, my first impression on this news was a combination of "that sounds really cool" mixed with "but it's sad to see Tom and Huck go". This is especially true after reading the article about how many kids had never even heard of Tom and Huck before. It seems like we're losing something... And I don't blame Disney for wanting to adapt to the current culture. But the question is, is this cultural change bad?

If kids don't know Tom and Huck, the question, obviously, is what DO they know? Specifically, what DO they know that replaces Tom and Huck with the same level of literary value? What books have schools phased in to replace the phased-out Tom and Huck?

Please tell me that kids still read, at least when teachers force them to...

-Tim

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 200 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If kids don't know Tom and Huck, the question, obviously, is what DO they know? Specifically, what DO they know that replaces Tom and Huck with the same level of literary value?
But realistically, I don't think those characters have any literary value to kids. Even youngsters who are familiar with Tom and Huck likely haven't read (much less understood) Twain's original works -- they simply know the characters from having come across them in watered-down book and film versions aimed at children. Just like plenty of kids are familiar with Alice in Wonderland, but precious few of them would understand any of the literary aspects (e.g., wordplay, satire) in Carroll's books.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 88 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let Tom Sawyer Have His Island

Disney attraction is one of the last bastions for imagination and play, and turns kids on to Mark Twain.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-ed-tomsawyer07oct07,1,6157.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 211 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But there will always be kids whose curiosity is sparked by all these unknown references. They might even be interested enough to put down the remote and crack open a book.
I'd say there's about an equally remote chance that a pirate-themed island would inspire kids to crack open Treasure Island.

- snopes

Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an update on the situation on MiceAge:

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al112806a.htm

This is largely a rumor column, so accuracy is not guaranteed. In brief, after various protests (notably the editorial linked above), the Disney people remembered that when Tom Sawyer and his friends ran away to Jackson's Island, it was, conveniently, to become pirates. So the new concept is to call it "Pirate's Cove at Tom Sawyer's Island," neatly letting them add a pirates theme without doing away with Twain. Clever, these Disney folk!

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So the new concept is to call it "Pirate's Cove at Tom Sawyer's Island"
The new attraction at Los Angeles' Disneyland Park in Anaheim.

- snopes

Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe Disney purchased L.A.?

"It's a Small Ghetto, After All!"

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages