snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney Might Let Pirates Swarm Tom Sawyer Island (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Disney Might Let Pirates Swarm Tom Sawyer Island
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 211 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are Tom and Huck being booted off the island?

That's the buzz on websites devoted to Disneyland fans, some of whom were despairing after a report that Tom Sawyer Island might get the heave-ho and be replaced with a pirates playground.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sawyer5oct05,1,2668579.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmph. If they are going to change it, I'd like to know so I can go see it before they change. Tom Sawyer Island is the only thing at Disney I haven't seen. There was always a lack of interest amongst the other siblings or else we just missed the raft and didn't want to wait for the next one.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, that article pertains only to Disneyland. It'll likely still be around Walt Disney World for a few years- they recently refurbished it.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Tom Sawyer is one of the most iconic literary characters in American History...but that island sucked. Good riddance, a cool pirate island would be much more interesting.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No fair, though. Disneyland has the better Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean rides.

Although, I have to say that it was really relaxing to walk in that area when K came down to visit this summer. Not many people go on it, so you can take it at your own pace, instead of feeling like people behind you WILL run you over with their double-wide plastic rented strollers with their 10 year old kid sitting in it if you don't walk fast enough!

It's also highly amusing to see kids in Heelys fall over themselves when they don't see a hidden step

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 211 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, Tom Sawyer is one of the most iconic literary characters in American History...but that island sucked. Good riddance, a cool pirate island would be much more interesting.
The Disney nostalgia buffs don't always seem to have a firm grasp of the concept that Disney theme parks are businesses, not museums. Disney can't afford to devote prime chunks of space to outdated attractions, no matter how fondly those attractions might be remembered by previous generations.

In any case, the "Tom Sawyer" theme doesn't really fit Disneyland very well, because (like Lewis Carroll's works) Twain's writings weren't really "children's books," and there isn't any identifiable connection between Twain's characters and Disney (save for a few live-action movies Disney made decades ago).

I don't see why Disney couldn't keep the substance of most everything that's already on Tom Sawyer Island and simply change some of the scenery and signage to turn it into a pirate-themed area.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... I wonder what I'm doing on 19 September 2007...
Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by BoKu:

Don't get your hopes up about it being next year. It'll take a bit longer for them to break down Tom Sawyer Island and build a pirate island. Oh, and there's all that Imagineering stuff.

...but if they do make a PotC themed island, will they sell rum?

--------------------

Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
The Disney nostalgia buffs don't always seem to have a firm grasp of the concept that Disney theme parks are businesses, not museums. Disney can't afford to devote prime chunks of space to outdated attractions, no matter how fondly those attractions might be remembered by previous generations.

In any case, the "Tom Sawyer" theme doesn't really fit Disneyland very well, because (like Lewis Carroll's works) Twain's writings weren't really "children's books," and there isn't any identifiable connection between Twain's characters and Disney (save for a few live-action movies Disney made decades ago).

I don't see why Disney couldn't keep the substance of most everything that's already on Tom Sawyer Island and simply change some of the scenery and signage to turn it into a pirate-themed area.

- snopes

I think you just solved the problem. Why DON'T they make a museum? It could have parts of past attractions that park-goers could experience. Perhaps there could be one fully-functional "heritage" ride that could be enjoyed. It would allow older Disneyphiles to relive their childhood, and pay heritage to Disney's roots. I kind of like that idea. [Smile]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BoKu:

I'm not sure what that date has to do with anything, but the buzz I've been reading suggests that if they do this, it would be in the hope of having it open around the time POTC3 comes out -- which appears to mean May 25th, 2007.

This would mean they'd have to really speed through the makeover, since it's still in the approval process. That worries me slightly -- if you're gonna do it, might as well take the time to do it right! But then, making a sort of "themed playground" isn't anywhere near as complex as building a new attraction.

I have mixed feelings about it, given that the Island was desinged by Walt Himself, and that it's one of the few attractions there that has been essentially unchanged since opening. On the other hand, it's badly in need of a rebuilding job anyhow, from what I've read; so if re-theming is a way to get that done, then it may be for the best. And yes, I think kids today might well be more into pirates than Twain.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:I think you just solved the problem. Why DON'T they make a museum? [/QB]
Well there is always Yesterland...

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

That website is awesome! I am a bit surprised that Disney hasn't stomped on it, though.

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I pictured people dressed as pirates storming the island, pillaging and taking hostages. THAT would be a fun show.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
That website is awesome! I am a bit surprised that Disney hasn't stomped on it, though.

On what grounds?

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Echinodermata Q. Taft:
I'm not sure what that date has to do with anything...

It's International Talk Like a Pirate day!
Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:

On what grounds?

-Tim

Disney seems to have a tendancy to stomp on anything that vaguely resembles one of their trademarked works. If they are willing to attack daycare centers, why not this website? [Confused]

--------------------

They don't stomp on a lot of the websites because it's publicity. The characters are copywritten, so if they've been hand-painted on a wall, then it's against the law. If it had been a purchased wallpaper (as an example), Disney would have been paid to use their materials.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Disney seems to have a tendancy to stomp on anything that vaguely resembles one of their trademarked works. If they are willing to attack daycare centers, why not this website?
Because:

a) Unlike day care centers, the Yesterland site isn't being operated as a profit-making business.

b) The site doesn't use any of Disney's copyright-protected material; it's made up of original text and privately-taken photographs.

Point (b) is something of a gray area because Disney likes to claim that the shape and appearance of certain theme park attractions are protected by trademark, but they'd probably have a hard time making that case in an instance of non-commercial use.

- snopes

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone blows that whole daycare thing out of proportion. What if someone opened a daycare called "Mickey's Day Care" with a large, handpainted Mickey Mouse in the front window and a Magic Kindom castle motif? Should Disney care? Does this not imply some sort of endoresment or implicit approval by Disney, and effectively dillute their trademark? What if the proprietor's name was actually Mickey? What if the business wasn't a daycare, but a bar? A peep show?

As you can see, there is a slippery slope here and Disney has chosen to protect their trademarks here from any unlicensed usage. They have to -- otherwise they have no control over their own brand...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Everyone blows that whole daycare thing out of proportion. What if someone opened a daycare called "Mickey's Day Care" with a large, handpainted Mickey Mouse in the front window and a Magic Kindom castle motif? Should Disney care? Does this not imply some sort of endoresment or implicit approval by Disney, and effectively dillute their trademark? What if the proprietor's name was actually Mickey? What if the business wasn't a daycare, but a bar? A peep show?

As you can see, there is a slippery slope here and Disney has chosen to protect their trademarks here from any unlicensed usage. They have to -- otherwise they have no control over their own brand...

-Tim

Did they get the Walt Disney Company's permission to use that picture of Mickey Mouse? No? Using copywritten or trademarked work without permission is illegal. If a bar or peep show used Mickey Mouse, there would be some massive repercussions.

--------------------

pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Mickey, no personal attack intended, but you've hanged a munchkin of mine twice on one thread and I can't stop myself from typing.

The word you want is copyRIGHTED, as in, the right to copy something.

CopyWRITTEN, if it were a word, would have something to do with what copywriters do, i.e., write copy.

Whew. I feel better now. Please carry on. (You're absolutely right in the content of your posts, of course.)

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

He also hanged one of my munchkins -- to "argue" against me by supporting the point I was trying to take. Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the posts before they respond...

-Tim

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He also hanged one of my munchkins -- to "argue" against me by supporting the point I was trying to take. Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the posts before they respond...

-Tim

Yes, she did that.

And you hanged one of mine, by assuming the sex of the poster from a screen name, instead of checking the profile. [Big Grin]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

-Tim

Yes, she did that.

And you hanged one of mine, by assuming the sex of the poster from a screen name, instead of checking the profile. [Big Grin]

Sorry about that. I guess if people are sensitive about what sex I assume, they shouldn't use the 'wrong' sex in their screen name, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't view the profile just to "make sure". [Big Grin]

-Tim

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So what should Dara do?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or Seaboe Muffunchucker or Rehcsif? Those aren't sex-specific names. Is it ok to call you she or it? [Wink]

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

-Tim

Yes, she did that.

Sorry about that. I guess if people are sensitive about what sex I assume, they shouldn't use the 'wrong' sex in their screen name, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't view the profile just to "make sure". [Big Grin]

-Tim

I've known at least one woman who was actually named Mickey IRL.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 500 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And how can you really tell? Apparently more men in the US are called Mary than women are called Kevin. [Wink]

quote:
Mary is the #699 most common male name.
0.009% of men in the US are named Mary.
Around 11025 US men are named Mary!
source namestatistics.com

kevin is the #2162 most common female name.
0.002% of females in the US are named kevin.
Around 2550 US females are named kevin!
source namestatistics.com

--------------------
That Psammead, That Psammead, I do not like that Psammead.

Posts: 234 | From: Calgary, AB, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And do posters have to choose their screen names based on someone else's preconceived notions? Should we take a poll first, to be sure we don't confuse anyone?

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've met women named Charlie, Peter, and Kevin, among others.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by quiltsbypam:
And do posters have to choose their screen names based on someone else's preconceived notions? Should we take a poll first, to be sure we don't confuse anyone?

Nope, just don't get P.O.d' if I assume you're a female if you choose "Mary" or a male if you choose "Mickey" [Big Grin] .

Better yet, give me a gender-neutral singular pronoun. In the absense of one, I tend to use "He". Call me sexist, or just practical...

-Tim "can't stand s/he, absolutely can't stand "they" used in a singular context"

Mistletoey Chloe

S/he. What's wrong with it?

--------------------

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Glowy Chloe:
S/he. What's wrong with it?

Aside from the fact it's not really a word? Well, for starters, it looks a bit weird when I refer to someone named "Joe" as "S/he", in the off chance that Joe is short for "Joesephina"...

-Tim

Mistletoey Chloe

No odder, and less rude, then when you assume someone with the username "Mickey" is male. S/he covers all the options. As for not using words that aren't really words, may I assume you stay away from "snopester," "YOMANK," "NFBSK," "glurge," "FOAF," and so on? Not to mention such non-words as "P.O.'d."

--------------------

Lainie

Also, you're asking people not to get PO'd if you call them by the wrong pronoun, but you refuse to use the word "they" as a singular pronoun because you hate it. It gives the impression that your own preferences are more important than anyone else's.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages