snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Walt Disney a Satanist? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Walt Disney a Satanist?
Garth
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Naw, it's just that for some odd reason folks hate success so much, they are willing to make up the most unbelievable NFBSK about those who have become successful.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
drewdimera

I remember being young and in church and warned against Disney films with "occult" elements (witches, magic, etc.) What these people failed to realize was that in the films, good always triumphed over evil, that the bad were always punished. In no way was black magic promoted as a viable vocational calling. Have these people seen any of these movies? I am sure they would decry "Lady and the Tramp" because the talking dogs were out late without a chaperone. Oh, the moral decay.
camomile

hey guys, im new to the msg board, but i figured since i know a little about this i thought i would start here. there is something in the book, "the davinci code" at one point in the book, there is a convorsation where the characters discuss that disney was a member of the priory of scion, which to everyone who hasnt read the book, is an ancient society with deep pagan beliefs, and that the movie, "the little mermaid", is about mary magdeline. since most people associate paganism with satanism, i think the rumor started from the book.

of course thats just my opinion.

diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by camomile:
hey guys, im new to the msg board, but i figured since i know a little about this i thought i would start here. there is something in the book, "the davinci code" at one point in the book, there is a convorsation where the characters discuss that disney was a member of the priory of scion, which to everyone who hasnt read the book, is an ancient society with deep pagan beliefs, and that the movie, "the little mermaid", is about mary magdeline. since most people associate paganism with satanism, i think the rumor started from the book.

of course thats just my opinion.

No, the theory has most likley been around a long time before the book was written (about 1 or 2 years ago). Dan Brown probably took an ongoing theory and used it for his book. Dan Brown did not start the rumor..

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Canuck
What's My Lime?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Canuck   E-mail Dark Canuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Time Trust:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
The only "satanic" kind of film Disney made was a segment of FANTASIA, featuring Chernobog
I think you've overlooked the controversial Mickey Goes to Hell (aka Mickey Meets Lucifer) cartoon short from 1932 that ran theatrically for only three days before the distributor recalled all the prints and destroyed them.

- snopes

I sense some leg-pulling going on... [Wink]
Well, if we've learned one thing from the lost legends, it's that we can trust snopes unconditionally. [Razz]

--------------------
MSN- darkcanuck@gmail.com
AIM- dark-canuck@mac.com

Posts: 132 | From: Alberta | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention Disney didn't write the Little Mermaid.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
camomile

well im just saying that if the book didn't start it, it no doubt enhanced it due to the wild sucsess of the book.
Hobgoblin

quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
quote:
Originally posted by darkmark90:
They're pulling your leg. The only "satanic" kind of film Disney made was a segment of FANTASIA, featuring Chernobog...think it was called "The Sacred and the Profane", or something. ....

Not quite. In 1929, Disney produced a short animated film called "Hell's Bells". But I think it was just a cartoon, not an indication of Disney's religious impulses.
Do you mean 'not quite' as in this wasn't in Fantasia or as in it was in Fantasia and was not quite satanic?

It was the two end pieces of music, the 'Night on Bald Mountain' (I believe) followed by 'Ave Maria'- the Sacred and Profane.

The Night on Bald Mountain featured a huge devil/demon calling up the lost souls from the graveyard and having little minions dancing in the palm of his hand. It always reminds me of the huge demon in (and I know I'll spell this wrong) Urosakidoji, which makes it more pervy than evil for me. [Smile]

And this wasn't Walt declaring his satanic tendencies, it was a piece to contrast with the serenity and calm of Ave Maria.

Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It always reminds me of the huge demon in (and I know I'll spell this wrong) Urosakidoji, which makes it more pervy than evil for me. [Smile]

I had an Urotsukidoji t-shirt in my early twenties. I got some looks when I would go into the Japanese markets. Urotsukidoji actually had alot of hype around it, for a long time it seemed that more people had heard of it than had actually seen it. It became a sort of a "gateway hentai" for alot of people. Do you remember what the symbol on the main character's shirt meant? I don't remember what it was, but I remember alot of speculation about it.

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoAlice

I knwo this is an old thread but I wanted to give my 2 cents...

The cartoon in which someone spoke of about Donald Duck and a pentagram is the cartoon "Donald in Mathmagic land"

Alphabet

I totally remember that one...had nothing to do with the occult, though. The narrator was explaining how a pentagram is one of those shapes that is found all over the place in nature.
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Do you remember what the symbol on the main character's shirt meant?

Note, I haven't seen Urotsukidoji, and haven't found a good picture of the guy in question, but it seems to be the character for 'sky/heaven' (Ten).

Nekogami

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsychoAlice:
I knwo this is an old thread but I wanted to give my 2 cents...

The cartoon in which someone spoke of about Donald Duck and a pentagram is the cartoon "Donald in Mathmagic land"

Honey, I already mentioned that on the first page of this thread. (Towards the bottom of the page. I gave a link that said "Try this".) No big deal, just lettin' ya know! [Wink]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
conspiracy theorist

Icon 107 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i can add to this walt disney was reputedly in a fraternity called Yale skull and bones in this frat they supposedly did satanic things guess who else is a memeber George W Bush Sr and George w Bush Jr and John Kerry the plot thickens the founders of Kelogg Post and pillsbury are also in Skull and Bones supposedly in the frat theres a pentagram..........hmm i think the theory on donald in mathland with the pentagram might be correct....it may not be blatant however it seems the signs are there..... this urban legend jsut became conspiracy
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Riiiiiiiiiiight. Anyways......
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not Disney's fault. It's who makes them that Disney sponsors. As you know, people write, produce, and direct them by themselves, but they have to find a movie sponsorship like Disney.

Sometimes the producers add some easter eggs in it's films too without the sponsor's approval. Such as Disney presented the original Rescuers and didn't know some woman was F-ing around in a background as an easter egg and they blocked that out in a new edit.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same goes for "The Little Mermaid" with the phallic situation. The "Disgrunted" in a hurry artist didn't realise that drawing so fast the designs that he drew a schlong till they got thousands of hate mail against that poster.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobgoblin:
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
quote:
Originally posted by darkmark90:
They're pulling your leg. The only "satanic" kind of film Disney made was a segment of FANTASIA, featuring Chernobog...think it was called "The Sacred and the Profane", or something. ....

Not quite. In 1929, Disney produced a short animated film called "Hell's Bells". But I think it was just a cartoon, not an indication of Disney's religious impulses.
Do you mean 'not quite' as in this wasn't in Fantasia or as in it was in Fantasia and was not quite satanic?
Neither. I meant "Fantasia is not quite the only 'satanic' kind of a film Disney made." "Hell's Bells" was another, and "Pluto's Judgement Day" was yet another.

ETA: I placed "satanic" in quotation marks. I do not believe that Walt Disney was satanic. My point is only that devilish characters appear in these three films (and in others, for that matter--the shoulder angel/shoulder devil duo is in a whole bunch of Disney flicks, including The Emperor's New Groove, for instance. I could do a little dissertation on how that trope goes back to medieval morality plays, but I'll spare you.)

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Black River Falls

IIRC the claim that Walt Disney was a Satanist is made in by Anton La Vey in The Satanic Bible.

If IDRC, then it's in Blanche Barton's book, The Church of Satan, as they're the only two titles I've got on the subject and it's definitely in one of them.

The latter also gives a list of recommended satanic movies which includes Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and The Snowman, though I forget if either of those were Disney productions.

Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
I don't know about Disney being a satanist, but this has all reminded me of something I watched when I was a kid.

I think it involved Daffy Duck. I seem to remember him, anyway. Something about his mind being cluttered and they were going to teach him how to organize it and use it. I want to say that it was an educational sort of cartoon, but I'm really fuzzy on it. Anyway, it showed a series of shapes imposed on a deep blue background with stars, and I believe it was the voice of Disney himself saying things like "This is a rectangle. A rectangle has four sides." etc.

One of them I remember very clearly was a pentagram, with the voice saying "This is a pentagram. It is a five sided star" or something to that effect. My husband swears he remembers this, and so do a couple friends of mine, but I've never been able to find any reference to it anywhere. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Sorry for the hijack.

I remember that one, too. Sucks how all the older cartoons are no longer shown on TV.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, sliding through the snow:
quote:
I don't know about Disney being a satanist, but this has all reminded me of something I watched when I was a kid.

I think it involved Daffy Duck. I seem to remember him, anyway. Something about his mind being cluttered and they were going to teach him how to organize it and use it. I want to say that it was an educational sort of cartoon, but I'm really fuzzy on it. Anyway, it showed a series of shapes imposed on a deep blue background with stars, and I believe it was the voice of Disney himself saying things like "This is a rectangle. A rectangle has four sides." etc.

One of them I remember very clearly was a pentagram, with the voice saying "This is a pentagram. It is a five sided star" or something to that effect. My husband swears he remembers this, and so do a couple friends of mine, but I've never been able to find any reference to it anywhere. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Sorry for the hijack.

I remember that one, too. Sucks how all the older cartoons are no longer shown on TV.
It was called Donald In Mathmagic Land I saw it in high school and was utterly bored by it

Daffy is a Warner Bros Cartoon. Not Disney at all.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Garth

Icon 209 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black River Falls:
IIRC the claim that Walt Disney was a Satanist is made in by Anton La Vey in The Satanic Bible.

If IDRC, then it's in Blanche Barton's book, The Church of Satan, as they're the only two titles I've got on the subject and it's definitely in one of them.

Find it and give us a cite OK?

Disney was not a: Nazi, Satanist, pedophile, or frozen.

Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garth:

Or a 33rd Degree Scottish Rite Mason.
Or any Mason at all, of any rite.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 02 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:
quote:

Sorry for the hijack.

It was called Donald In Mathmagic Land I saw it in high school and was utterly bored by it

Sigh. Honeys, honeys, honeys: Please read the whole thread before commenting. I covered this on the first page. Then someone brought it up like it was new on the second page, and I had to Chow them to the first page. Now I have to do this a third time on the third page. I'm trying not to be a pain in the butt about it, but c'mon.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:
quote:

Sorry for the hijack.

Sigh. Honeys, honeys, honeys: Please read the whole thread before commenting. I covered this on the first page. Then someone brought it up like it was new on the second page, and I had to Chow them to the first page. Now I have to do this a third time on the third page. I'm trying not to be a pain in the butt about it, but c'mon.
I have read the enitre thread acually, i just dont like to chow within a thread so i reiterated the same post. If thats the correct thing to do though, i will remember that...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So after 5 months of this discussion, is WD in league with Satan or not? [Razz]

--------------------
Joseph Z

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say he was the moment he decided to rip off Terry Gilliam's animation with the cartoon It's Tough To Be A Bird. (The picture on the link doesn't do it justice to how much they ripped him off.)

P.S.
Yes, I'm sure everyone on the planet is quite aware of who Terry Gilliam is at this point. The link for the bio by John Cleese always gives me the giggles though, so I thought I'd share it. [lol]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Eutychus55

quote:
Originally posted by Garth:

But ... I'm working on an article for the Straight Dope right now. There is evidence that Disney did attend meetings of the German American Bund along with his lawyer Gunther Lessing. It doesn't make him a Nazi per se, but there might have been a little interest at the beginning. Most possibly it was Disney's trying to find some way of distributing his movies in Germany and making contacts with the people in charge.
Eutychus55

quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
I say he was the moment he decided to rip off Terry Gilliam's animation with the cartoon It's Tough To Be A Bird. (The picture on the link doesn't do it justice to how much they ripped him off.)

I wouldn't exactly call it ripped off. The short was directed by Ward Kimball who was one of Disney's most eccentric animators and was always looking for new styles to work with. It was also released in 1969, roughly about the same time that MPFC started, which means it would have had to be in production at least a year before that.
TrishDaDish

Not to get completely off topic, but Gilliam was doing that style of animation before Python, altho by this article, it's kind of vague what year and when he started.

quote:

Gilliam worked at 'Help!' until the magazine wore down and then moved to California before heading off to London with his then-girlfriend in 1967...Cleese passed on to him the name of Humphrey Barclay, a television producer of a new children's program called 'Do Not Adjust Your Set'...Barclay, as it turns out, was an amateur cartoonist and when he discovered Gilliam's drawing skills, he had him create some short animated pieces for the show. These black and white animations show a distinct Gilliam sensibility in the content but the style and delivery were still very much works in progress. While the films may have been 'unpolished' they most definitely were impactful:

'…yesterday, the show included a new feature, some really clever animated cartoons done by Terry Gilliam. These cartoons were as good as you would get at any hour on television. The equal of cinema cartoons.'
- A review of 'Do Not Adjust Your set' by Stanley Reynolds for The Times, April 8, 1969.

I now return you to "Is Walt Disney a Satanist?", already in progress....

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

altered7th

I dunno about Walt being a Satanist, but he sure has made a lot of cartoons about kids who, usually after their parents meet some grizzly end, are raised by wolves or whatever. More likely the original poster's source is confusing Walt with Rupert Murdoch, the embodiment of evil if ever one existed! heh heh heh.
0b1knob
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0b1knob   E-mail 0b1knob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney's satanic bloodline:

http://www.thewatcherfiles.com/bloodlines/disney.htm

Part of a seemingly endless tin-foil-hat rant not only involving a satanic Disney, but the CIA , illuminati, and mind controlled sex slave CIA agent Shirley MacLaine.

Kind of entertaining in a goofball kind of way.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 107 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Um, yeah, I heard that Walt Disney was a Satanist. I also heard
about many other bad things about Disney, and not just those movies you
have listed. I heard that the songs from the Little Mermaid have some bad
messages or some type of curse, I do not know what kind. And that
Pocahontas has sexual messages, Robin Hood has diabolical messages, bad
things about Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
I heard that the songs from the Little Mermaid have some bad messages or some type of curse, I do not know what kind.

This might explain Julia Kitten's behavior. Silly me, I thought she was just being four. But now I know: Walt Disney is reaching out from beyond the grave (the freezer?) to bring my child to Satan. What a relief.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

I dunno...possibly the curse was...I dunno...said by the Sea Witch?!

Pocahontas sexual messages. Umm...does the "how high does a Sycamore grow" line mean something else, if you have a dirty mind?

quote:
Robin Hood has diabolical messages, bad
things about Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles

Ok, you lost me on this one...what the fudge does Robin Hood (Or Disney, for that matter) have to do with Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles?! I'm trying my darndest, but I don't recall Little John saying, "Hey, Rob! Them turtles are crowdin' the forest! Let's steal their thunder!" or something like that and then going Tarintino on them.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages