snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Walt Disney a Satanist? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Walt Disney a Satanist?
Chabba
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone heard the UL that ol' Uncle Walt was a devil worshipper? The rumor stems from the fact that so many Disney movies and cartoons involve black/white magic, levitation, etc. Is there a dark, occult side of Disney that few know about?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Principessa

Where do you guys get this stuff? x)

*edit: I don't know. I'm kinda braindead at the moment, but I'm sure someone else has something interesting to say.

I have heard lots of things about Disney, but not a Satanist.

*edit#2: I found something about Disney producing a 'Satanic' video. Thatzit.

Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Walt Disney a Satanist? Did Jack T. Chick say this? I sounds like something he would say in one of his tracts.

Maybe we should check it out on:

http://www.chick.com

Brother! That's the weirdest UL I've ever heard! I've heard of ULs about people like Hitler being Satanists, even Bill and Hillary Clinton! But "Uncle Walt"! Give me a break!

Barbara

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Principessa

quote:
Originally posted by Barbara R.:
Walt Disney a Satanist? Did Jack T. Chick say this? I sounds like something he would say in one of his tracts.

Maybe we should check it out on:

http://www.chick.com

Brother! That's the weirdest UL I've ever heard...

Barbara

It seems like a pretty good candidate for something someone made up [Roll Eyes] , if you ask me. No offence, Chabba, I think someone was pulling your leg.

*edit: I'm in the mood to edit.

darkmark90

They're pulling your leg. The only "satanic" kind of film Disney made was a segment of FANTASIA, featuring Chernobog...think it was called "The Sacred and the Profane", or something. I saw it way-back-when. But that's just an interp of the piece of music that was performed. Disney was a Christian in religion, as any of his bios will tell you.
Chabba

quote:
Originally posted by darkmark90:
They're pulling your leg. The only "satanic" kind of film Disney made was a segment of FANTASIA, featuring Chernobog...think it was called "The Sacred and the Profane", or something. I saw it way-back-when. But that's just an interp of the piece of music that was performed. Disney was a Christian in religion, as any of his bios will tell you.

I heard it from a Southern Baptist (consider the source). The preacher at his church was warning the congregation of all the "evidence" that Disney was a servant of the Prince of Darkness. It was the Southern Baptists who once boycotted all things Disney, in one of their witch hunts, so it wouldn't surprise me if a SB preacher would cook up something like that.
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They're pulling your leg. The only "satanic" kind of film Disney made was a segment of FANTASIA, featuring Chernobog...think it was called "The Sacred and the Profane", or something. ....

Not quite. In 1929, Disney produced a short animated film called "Hell's Bells". But I think it was just a cartoon, not an indication of Disney's religious impulses.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Principessa

quote:
Originally posted by Chabba:
quote:

I heard it from a Southern Baptist (consider the source). The preacher at his church was warning the congregation of all the "evidence" that Disney was a servant of the Prince of Darkness. It was the Southern Baptists who once boycotted all things Disney, in one of their witch hunts, so it wouldn't surprise me if a SB preacher would cook up something like that.
That explains EVERYTHING! :9
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the Disney boycott had to do with the company and homosexuality. The reason is either Disneyworld allowing Gay Day or Disney providing company benefits for gay couples. (I've heard both versions as reasons for the boycott.)
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 107 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only "satanic" kind of film Disney made was a segment of FANTASIA, featuring Chernobog
I think you've overlooked the controversial Mickey Goes to Hell (aka Mickey Meets Lucifer) cartoon short from 1932 that ran theatrically for only three days before the distributor recalled all the prints and destroyed them.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86

Icon 107 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
I think you've overlooked the controversial Mickey Goes to Hell (aka Mickey Meets Lucifer) cartoon short from 1932 that ran theatrically for only three days before the distributor recalled all the prints and destroyed them.

- snopes

Warner Brothers did something similar but didn't recall the cartoon. I remember seeing at least one where Yosemite Sam went to hell.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RP 3500 Series

Why do they always have to destroy the intresting cartoons?

I'm intrested in how Mickey went to hell, and how he met Lucifer.

Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's this Hellish short
Lindiglo

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Principessa

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lindiglo in the Sky with Diamonds:
There's this Hellish short
Lindiglo

That is the lovely story of Hades and Persephone, I bet.

Persephone, daughted of the Goddess of the Harvest, Demeter, was very beautiful. One day she was gathering flowers, and Hades came from the Underworld, declaring her his bride, taking her down to the Underworld.

To make a long story short, Demeter was angry when she found out Persephone had been kidnapped, so everything turned icy and cold. She went to Zeus, to see if he could do anything about. Zeus said she could come back if she did not eat any Underworld food.

Hades knew what Zeus had said, and told Persephone she could go, but she had to eat some seeds before she went.

Persephone ate the seeds, thus having her to be Hades's bride. But Demeter made a deal with Zeus. For 4 months, Persephone could stay on Earth with her mother. After that, for another 4 months, she'd be Queen of the Underworld.

And this is how the Greeks think seasons came to be. While Persephone was gone, Demeter was angry, therefore making the lands icy and cold (Winter and Autumn)

I don't think the cartoon is that bad, just a remake of a Greek myth.

LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about Disney being a satanist, but this has all reminded me of something I watched when I was a kid.

I think it involved Daffy Duck. I seem to remember him, anyway. Something about his mind being cluttered and they were going to teach him how to organize it and use it. I want to say that it was an educational sort of cartoon, but I'm really fuzzy on it. Anyway, it showed a series of shapes imposed on a deep blue background with stars, and I believe it was the voice of Disney himself saying things like "This is a rectangle. A rectangle has four sides." etc.

One of them I remember very clearly was a pentagram, with the voice saying "This is a pentagram. It is a five sided star" or something to that effect. My husband swears he remembers this, and so do a couple friends of mine, but I've never been able to find any reference to it anywhere. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Sorry for the hijack.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 604 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When Baptists Get Pissed...

quote:
"Recently, the Southern Baptist Convention called for a boycott on Disney products and subsidiaries. Because of Disney’s family-safe reputation, we asked David Miller, director of the American Family Association of Tarrant County, Texas, to provide Freedom Club members with a list of reasons to avoid Disney, according to national AFA research. He gave us many more than we could print here.
Ladylockeout: I recall in grade school watching a math short starring Donald Duck, about angles and so on. One bit had him playing pool, so you could see how angles were important in making the ball go the right way, etc. I could be wrong, but I think the short was called Donald In Mathland.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Trish. I'll look that up. Maybe that's it.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this. [Wink]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout

You r0xx0r

Edit: But does anyone else remember the pentagram? Or have my husband and I just done too many drugs? O_o

--------------------

Twisted Links

Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
....I think it involved Daffy Duck. I seem to remember him, anyway. Something about his mind being cluttered and they were going to teach him how to organize it and use it. I want to say that it was an educational sort of cartoon, but I'm really fuzzy on it. Anyway, it showed a series of shapes imposed on a deep blue background with stars, and I believe it was the voice of Disney himself saying things like "This is a rectangle. A rectangle has four sides." etc. ...

If it's Daffy, it couldn't be Disney...Daffy is the Warner Bros duck, and Disney's Duck is Donald. Actually, though, "Donald in Mathmagic Land" fits your description. The late, great Paul Frees, not Disney, was the narrator (if you've ever been on the Haunted Mansion ride, Paul Frees' voice is the one that welcomes you into the pre-boarding area and later talks about the hitchhiking ghosts). The "pentagram" discussion springs from the geometrical figure of a pentagon, and points out that if one draws lines connecting all the internal angles of a pentagon, the result is a pentagram, a five-sided star with another pentagon in the center...whose angles can then be connected, ad infinitum. Nothing satanic about it--just a demonstration of the (theoretical) infinity in geometrical forms.

The 1929 "Hell's Bells" is actually set in hell, with Satan and his demons having a wild party. As far as I know, it hasn't been included in any Disney compilation.

--------------------

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kuzibah
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kuzibah   E-mail Kuzibah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the Hell- and Devil-themed shorts are indicative of anything but common cinematic motifs of the time. Betty Boop had at least one cartoon where the characters went to Hell, and I think there were other Fleischer (sp?) and Tex Avery shorts with these themes. The devil often showed up in many early silent short fantasies, too.

I think these things just stand out as unusual because in the intervening years, "Satanic Panic" causes us to view these idiosyncrasies of the time from the perspective of a culture where any mention of the devil is suspect.

Posts: 31 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout

well that's what I get for trying to think at 4 am on sleeping pills.... [Embarrassed]

Thanks for the correction, Brad. So there -is- a pentagram in it and I wasn't smoking crack after all. Sweet.

I'm surprised though, given the attitudes of today, that I never heard any uproar over that. Or if I did, I don't remember.

--------------------

Twisted Links

Brad from Georgia

Well, the film didn't treat a pentagram as anything other than geometry--and it is a geometrical figure.

Besides, pentagrams are not necessarily always associated with evil; in Gawain and the Green Night, Sir Gawain's shield is adorned with a pentagram which is a symbol of his Christian faithfulness: it stands for the Five Wounds of Christ; the Five Joys of Mary; the Five Virtues of generosity, courtesy, chastity, chivalry, and piety; the Five Wits (we'd say senses) that a knight seeks to use for holy purposes, and the five fingers of the hand that holds the shield. In Goethe's Faust, the pentagram is a holy symbol that wards off devils.

So I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

--------------------

moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The pentagram seems to be merely a symbol for magic. I think it's used in anime fairly frequently. In one anime I saw, the characters were standing inside a pentagram for protection. The game "Tomb Raider Chronicles" featured a similar use. I believe a pentagram was one of the symbols a young Lara Croft drew on the ground to ward off a demon.
The Time Trust

quote:
quote:
The only "satanic" kind of film Disney made was a segment of FANTASIA, featuring Chernobog

- snopes

I sense some leg-pulling going on... [Wink]
The Joy of Booking

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Time Trust:
quote:
quote:

- snopes

I sense some leg-pulling going on... [Wink]
I agree. Google turns up zilch.
Have we found another "lost legend" here? [Wink]

Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned Pluto's Judgment Day yet.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless snopes was thinking of Pluto's Judgement Day. In this 1935 toon, Pluto gets in trouble for chasing cats, and after a lecture by Mickey, Pluto falls asleep. He dreams he goes to hell, where Satan is a cat, and he is judged for his sins by a jury made up of infernal cats (some people think this is the only kind of cat, btw).

This appears on one of the Disney DVD collections, with a few scenes snipped out (most prominently a Black-caricature cat named "Uncle Tom").

Brad "I would have spelled it 'judgment'" from Georgia

ETA: If I hadn't messed up the url the first time around, I would have beaten Brandi to the punch.

-Brad "mm, brandy punch" from Georgia

--------------------

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Brad "I would have spelled it 'judgment'" from Georgia

Highjack: I really hate some American spellings, and this is among the worst. "Judgement" is easy: judge + ment. But "Judgment" looks like it ought to be pronounced jud-guh-ment or something similarly awful. I feel the same way about traveller and worshipped; the word "traveler" looks like it would be pronounced trav-ee-ler and "worshiped" looks like it would be pronounced "wor-shipe-d."

On the other hand, I'll defend "jail" and "aluminum" to the death...

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KeithB

I don't know if it is in the movie or not, but in Mr Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland, Disney sends you to hell where you are tortured by the sight of a bunch of little rubber demons wiggling around...

Could be a recruitment technique!

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, Mr Toad's Wild Ride is no more, but there is a virtual version. And I videotaped the whole ride the last time I was on it. WE ENDED UP IN HELL!!!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tootsie, Mr Toad is gone from WDW, but it's still at Disneyland.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
he he he...now I'm thinking about that Pluto cartoon..haven't seen it in ages, but I remember I used to laugh my butt off with the jury of cats.

We find the defendant guilty!
He's guilty! He's guilty!
G-U-I-L-T-Y!
Guilty! Guilty! YAY!!!!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Garth

In another thread- old Walt was accused of being a Nazi. [Roll Eyes] So, one of dem der rare "Nazi Satanists". [Roll Eyes] What's next- a "Commie Nazi Satanist Homophobe Crossdresser Alcoholic Drug addict Alien"?

Fercrickiessakes.

TrishDaDish

Icon 107 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa there!!! He's a Nazi now?! They're not confusing Disney, the man, with this stuff, from Disney, the place, are they?

[ 26. August 2004, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: snopes ]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages