snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney's policy on Mickey Ear hats names (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Disney's policy on Mickey Ear hats names
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Dave- Disney doesn't SPONSOR Gay Days (there's actually an agenda of which park in central Florida they go to on which days, including Universal, Islands of Adventure, and Sea World), nor do they sponsor Night of Joy (it's something a private foundation or something pays boku bucks for annually, including the advertising on Disney's site). They have a very firm, zero tolerance policy on discrimination based on race, sex, gender, nationality, cultural beliefs, or sexual preference. I actually know someone that is getting a lot of help from Disney during their transgender process, from helping to pay for medical bills, to medications, to offering a department change if the person feels uncomfortable in their current department.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Nemo Roll:
Dr. Dave- Disney doesn't SPONSOR Gay Days

I did not say sponsor, I said welcome. And good for them in any case.
Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by black roses 19:
quote:
I had a friend named Sunny- real name Rajesh.
Weird....so do I. Is he an Indian fella? About 24? Prounounced "Rye-esh"?
I know a Indian guy called Sunny, but I don't know his real name. It's unlikely, geographically, that he's either of your two Sunnies. Actually a lot of guys I know with West-Asian kind of names have nicknames that bear no relation to their real names... Dazey (Hamzah), Sticks (Sanjeav), Mossy (I can't spell his real name, but it's pronnounced Kazeem), etc... the only one I know with a nickname derived from his given name is Abs (Abdullah).

The other day Dazey was showing me his collection of rulers, keyrings and similar tourist crap you can get your name on, all from white friends and all with 'They didn't have your name' written on them. [Wink]

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya'll know who Disney REALLY discriminates against? People with long names! You'd think a company with a character named Christopher Robin would have more than a ten character limit.

I'm just saying, Christopher has 11 letters, heck even in the Winnie The Pooh computer games the limit is 10. Clearly there is something up here... [Wink]

(I know they didn't create Pooh or Christopher Robin, but still)

When we went to Disney a couple of years ago, we didn't even try to get the ears personalized. I was a little disappointed, but I didn't know of the 10 character limit then.

Would Xopher for Christopher be acceptable, I wonder? (DS gets past the 10 character limit on games by using his surname, which only has 6 letters.)

Yeah.

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monkster

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkster   E-mail Monkster   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by black roses 19:
Wait...what? I thought I saw on some crappy VH1 or MTV documentary that Mase gave up secular rapping and became a Catholic Priest...for real. Maybe I'm misremembering?

He did give up rapping to become a priest, but than he came back to rapping [Smile] So you're not misremembering [Smile]
Posts: 147 | From: Queensland Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simply:
Would Xopher for Christopher be acceptable, I wonder? (DS gets past the 10 character limit on games by using his surname, which only has 6 letters.)

Sorry, no, it wouldn't be acceptable. Can he use Chris?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Confused] How would Disney know it wasn't spelled that way? Do they require ID?

If he never uses Chris, I don't think he'd want it on his mouse ears. It would be like having somebody else's name.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(I know they didn't create Pooh or Christopher Robin, but still)

No, Disney just kidnapped and raped them.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
quote:

[Confused] How would Disney know it wasn't spelled that way? Do they require ID?

If he never uses Chris, I don't think he'd want it on his mouse ears. It would be like having somebody else's name.

You're right, it would be like having somebody else's name, as he's never ever gone by Chris. I do spell it Xopher, when I haven't got enough letters. Of course he's all of 6 years old, so he's got time to change his mind, though the few times classmates have tried to call him that, he's set them straight pretty fast.

I suppose we'll have to deal with that if we ever go back to Disney. I'm horribly devastated. heh [Smile]

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raine
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the ladies at Disneyworld actually got an attitude with me when I asked about nicknames. She must get questions about them a lot and just took it out on me. Meanie!

--------------------
"Do unto others before they do unto you!"-Ernie from Sesame Street

Posts: 22 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Matt H.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt H.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW...

When our family and my wife's best friend's family when to Disney World, her friend's husband wanted a special pair of Mickey ears. He told me what he wanted in English, but he wanted it in Spanish, so I called one of our linguists back home and got the answer. He managed to talk the embroidery girl into putting a pretty long nickname on the back: "El Gran Culo Blanco."

Our respective wives were not happy.

--------------------
"Who needs the Bible? I've got this magic 8-ball."

Posts: 354 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michigan Girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michigan Girl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt H.:
FWIW...

When our family and my wife's best friend's family when to Disney World, her friend's husband wanted a special pair of Mickey ears. He told me what he wanted in English, but he wanted it in Spanish, so I called one of our linguists back home and got the answer. He managed to talk the embroidery girl into putting a pretty long nickname on the back: "El Gran Culo Blanco."

Our respective wives were not happy.

LMAO. I had to look that one up in an online translator.

--------------------
~ Yep, I'm in Michigan ~ My blog http://catsrule2k.blogspot.com/
I am not willing to give up my constitutional freedoms just because I have nothing to hide

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michigan Girl:
LMAO. I had to look that one up in an online translator.

Shouldn't that be LMGWAO?

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dr. Dave- Disney doesn't SPONSOR Gay Days (there's actually an agenda of which park in central Florida they go to on which days, including Universal, Islands of Adventure, and Sea World)

Hijacking the topic...

OMG IT'S TEH GAY AGENDA!!!!!! Proof!

[/hijack]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages