snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney's policy on Mickey Ear hats names (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Disney's policy on Mickey Ear hats names
3rdshifter
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for 3rdshifter         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just wondering if anyone else ever tried to have a title put on the back of the mickey ears hats you buy at disneyland? This last sunday a member of my church brought back a hat with the pastors name on the back and he told the pastor that they tried to get "pastor" and then the pastors name which is only three letters long. However they were told it was against the policy for disneyland to put pastor before a name. i was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this or if anyone else had gotten the same answer when they tried to put a name on one of those hats. i have a few theorys as to why this happened but was just wondering if anyone else heard about this.

My Theories:

1. the word pastor and then his name was to long. however keep in mind our pastors name is only 3 letters

2. disneyland is afraid of offending people and all titles before names are banned.

can anyone think of other reasons? i really hope its not the simple reason it involved a religion.

Posts: 26 | From: Turlock, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Should this go under "Find the hidden conspiracy" or "Burning issues of our times"?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. the word pastor and then his name was to long. however keep in mind our pastors name is only 3 letters
No, this is probably it. My sister got me a hat made up at Disneyland with my real name on it. My real name is six letters long, yet it virtually fills the cap. Adding four mour characters (a space and three letters), one of which is a capital letter (unless your pastor is e.e. cummings), would probably be too much.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend brought Molly a hat back from Disneyland. It has her name on the back and 5 letters pretty much fills up the space.
Do they have smaller letters for longer names?

http://www.mouseshoppe.com/product.cfm?ProductID=7411

embroidery rules from the mouseshoppe...

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I've had "Minnie" put on a pair of ears before. But I had circumstances (and explained them) that permit me to do that.

But Guru's explanation is perfect.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually saw a hat, back in the 70s, embroidered "Smegma", which is not profanity, and is only six letters, so it didn't quite violate the stated rules. Still, I doubt it'd fly today...

Dog (No, I wasn't wearing it) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From guruwan2b's link, the rules:

quote:
Ears can be personalized only with proper names, up to 10 characters. No unusual nicknames, slang terms, profanity or epithets may be personalized. (Jim is a usual nickname for James, "Dawg" is not). Most titles are acceptable, like Mr. Smith, Dr. Jones, or Miss Davis. Names with initials are OK, for example "J.D.", but last initials can not be embroidered with a name, like "Karen R." We can not embroider numbers, punctuation marks other than periods, company names, or slogans.
lead to many quetsions. I understand no epithets or slurs, but why no "unusual" nicknames. What if the guy has been called "Dawg" all his life? I had a friend named Sunny- real name Rajesh. Had the nickname all his life, mom called him that from birth. Once had a patient nick-named "Bucket." The kid was like 18 months old, so if it stuck to adulthood, he'd have had it forever. And if Jim is OK, what about Jimbo? And Pastor Abc is 10 characters, space included, so why not allow it? What about Rev. Abc (if that is what your church calls him)?

Mickey, could you look into all of this for us? I can understand not wanting the brand defamed, and not allowing commerical names or logos, but the micromanagement of nick-names is a bit much, no? And while you're at it, why did you need special dispensation for Minnie? That's some people's real name or common use nick-name.

ETA: No punctuation other than periods? What if the name is D'Shawn? The Mouse is a racist. (I'm not kidding.)

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if they'd have a problem with first given names like:
Rucker
and
Shag
(Both of these are given names of friends of mine)

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dave:
lead to many quetsions. I understand no epithets or slurs, but why no "unusual" nicknames. What if the guy has been called "Dawg" all his life? I had a friend named Sunny- real name Rajesh. Had the nickname all his life, mom called him that from birth.

I'm would guess that the no "unusual" nicknames is to prevent people putting things on the ears that is obscene but that the disney employee possibly hasnt heard before. You remember at school when a "new" swearword/slang term was making the rounds, and how funny it was to find someone who hadnt heard it yet? Like that, but with disneys corporate image...

"No, seriously, EVERYONE calls me Taint!"

Hell I used to know a guy who EVERYONE (including his parents) called "Stiff", and when he met new people they assumed it was for a prurient reason. It wasnt, there was a fairly dull explaination (I think it was something to do with being unable to pronounce "Steve" when he was a toddler), but he wouldnt have been able to get that either.

Not only can you not hav "D'shawn", but you cant have "O'malley". Though thats seven letters anyway, but you take my point. I wouldnt necessarily characterise that as being racist though.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the two capital letters (Pastor Abc) take up more space than one capital and 9 small letters?

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

ETA: No punctuation other than periods? What if the name is D'Shawn? The Mouse is a racist. (I'm not kidding.)

I wish you were kidding.
First, are we supposed to believe D'Shawn is an African name? Where did the apostrophe originate? Is it Zulu, Tutsi, what?
Second, how does one jump from "no apostrophes" to "racism"? Wait, wait, I bet they don't do kanji either! They're even more racist against Japanese!
Hint: Do not attribute to racism what is clearly a technical issue.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No punctuation other than periods? Well there goes my dream of having my name embroidered on mouse ears.

Blushing "Proudly-Hyphenated" Bride

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

We have several embroidrery machines here at work. One of them will embroidery anything that is on the keyboard. The other embroiderys with 12 heads at a time and will only do logos that we have in the system.
Maybe the machine has restrictions?

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, from what I understand...

If it is in the actual name (such as "D'Shawn"), then an apostrophe may be permitted. Likewise for a name like yours, Blushing Bride.

If it's a truly unusual name, but the person insists that it's his/her given name, the cast member may ask for some kind of I.D. (often, a Disney resort room key will suffice)

And Guru, the interesting thing about Disney's machines is that they AREN'T from a keyboard. The person freehands every letter (I'll take a picture of both pairs of ears I have- you'll see the difference in print).

AFA my "special" permission, if it's one of the VIP names that tends to be a bit more unusual (i.e. Mickey, Minnie), then the person MUST show some form of I.D. to show that it actually is their name. Disney uses Mickey and Minnie in their display ears, so there may be some dispute over whether the ears were stolen.

I'll dig a bit more to see what I can find. I have a friend that works in guest relations, so I can ask them specifically.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
quote:

I wish you were kidding.
First, are we supposed to believe D'Shawn is an African name? Where did the apostrophe originate? Is it Zulu, Tutsi, what?
Second, how does one jump from "no apostrophes" to "racism"? Wait, wait, I bet they don't do kanji either! They're even more racist against Japanese!

I was not kidding. OK, racist may be the inappropriate word- and admittidly a charged one at that. However, Disney (the corportation) seems to have this idea "usual"names meaning those out of a 1950's family comedy or a Norman Rockwell painting. If they can't handle apostrophes beacause the machine can't handle them, so be it and my apologies. I took this restriction in the context of the restriction to "usual" nick-names. I was being a bit tingue in cheek about my tone of "outrage," but overly restrictive rules do risk disenfranchisement.

In closing, your argument about the African origin of names like D'Shawn is meaningless. Such names have become popular amongst some African Americans. It really does not matter where they got the idea. I was reacting to this Disney concept that "acceptable" = "usual" and "usual" correlates with "commonly used amongst the predominately white population of years past." Even if each restriction is small and has a reasonable explanation, together they systematically exclude some people of all races, disproportionately affecting non-whites and non-Americans. All over a hat.

ETA: Thanks for the info, Mickey. I knew you would not disappoint.

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

quote:
Originally posted by SiKboy:
"No, seriously, EVERYONE calls me Taint!"
[/QB]

That would be T'aint, so it would be out on the apostrophe rule anyway. [Razz]
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The use of non-derivative nick names (Such as dawg, bubba, and junior) is very common amongst southern whites. I don't see how anyone can consider that particular rule racist.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
The use of non-derivative nick names (Such as dawg, bubba, and junior) is very common amongst southern whites. I don't see how anyone can consider that particular rule racist.

I did not say that part itself was.
Lemon Demon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon Demon   E-mail Lemon Demon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually hqad a pair of Ears embroiderd for me this past Autumn for a Friend of mine who teaches, Sharry Gross, and they Barely aloowed "Ms.Gross". we had to say that we would not wear the hat in the park before they would give it to me.

--------------------
"Realizing that one could Time Travel within his own liftime, Dr. Sam Becket stepped into the Quantum leap accelerator...and Vanished."-Quantum Leap

Posts: 44 | From: Cameron Park, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As an aside, did anyone see the comedian who said, "when white people find out what 'skeet, skeet' means, they're gonna be like, 'OMG the children!'"

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
As an aside, did anyone see the comedian who said, "when white people find out what 'skeet, skeet' means, they're gonna be like, 'OMG the children!'"

So what does "skeet, skeet" mean? And T'Aint, for that matter?

And I must register my protest against the blatent anti-Irish prejudice of the Mouse. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
quote:

So what does "skeet, skeet" mean? And T'Aint, for that matter?

And I must register my protest against the blatent anti-Irish prejudice of the Mouse. [Big Grin]

You asked, OK? But I'm putting it in links, as it is NSFBK:

Skeet skeet

ETA: What do you know, this forum is racist too (it doesn't like apostrophes in links). So if you gotta know what "T'aint" is, you're gonna have to cut and paste: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=T%27aint

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

quote:
quote:
quote:

I wish you were kidding.

I was not kidding. OK, racist may be the inappropriate word- and admittidly a charged one at that. However, Disney (the corportation) seems to have this idea "usual"names meaning those out of a 1950's family comedy or a Norman Rockwell painting. If they can't handle apostrophes beacause the machine can't handle them, so be it and my apologies. I took this restriction in the context of the restriction to "usual" nick-names. I was being a bit tingue in cheek about my tone of "outrage," but overly restrictive rules do risk disenfranchisement.

In closing, your argument about the African origin of names like D'Shawn is meaningless. Such names have become popular amongst some African Americans. It really does not matter where they got the idea. I was reacting to this Disney concept that "acceptable" = "usual" and "usual" correlates with "commonly used amongst the predominately white population of years past." Even if each restriction is small and has a reasonable explanation, together they systematically exclude some people of all races, disproportionately affecting non-whites and non-Americans. All over a hat.

ETA: Thanks for the info, Mickey. I knew you would not disappoint.

I see, you probably didn't actually mean "racism", but your outrage is directed more at "conformism". I agree with you on that. I hate conformity, and nothing represents conformity as Disney.

I still have a couple of points.

1. Disney is a business. They cater to the "traditional family values" crowd, and do it exceedingly well. Apparently it's a succesful business model for them, so I cannot fault them.
2. It's just a business. If you do not like them, there are plenty of alternatives. But pretending that they somehow have an obligation to accomodate anyone seems outrageous to me. Do you feel disgusted by their business profile? Don't go there. That's it.

Anyway, I guess we agree more than we disagree. And maybe I have to apologize a bit for the snark; one of my pet munchkins is people who scream "racism" at anything. ("OMG, why is toilet paper always white? It's racist", and yes, I read that one on a forum, and it was not a joke).

--------------------

die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:
I actually saw a hat, back in the 70s, embroidered "Smegma", which is not profanity, and is only six letters, so it didn't quite violate the stated rules. Still, I doubt it'd fly today...

Dog (No, I wasn't wearing it) Friendly

"Smegma," IIBC, happens to be a common term for cheese or soap substitutes, particularly during wartime.

There may also be a slightly suggestive connotation to the term.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Demon:
I actually hqad a pair of Ears embroiderd for me this past Autumn for a Friend of mine who teaches, Sharry Gross, and they Barely aloowed "Ms.Gross". we had to say that we would not wear the hat in the park before they would give it to me.

For my father's b-day, we purchased a pirate hat and wanted some type of piratey name embroidered on the hat for him. All forms other than his actual name were firmly and promptly turned down. IIRC, the only names allowed to be embroidered on the hats were proper names.

We were able to talk the poor girl into embroidering "Captain" on the hat as long as we didn't tell anyone, did not wear it in the park, and kept it in the bag at all times while on the park's property.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. Disney is a business. They cater to the "traditional family values" crowd, and do it exceedingly well. Apparently it's a succesful business model for them, so I cannot fault them.

Not well enough to satisfy the Baptists, but I count that to their credit. [Wink]
quote:
2. It's just a business. If you do not like them, there are plenty of alternatives. But pretending that they somehow have an obligation to accomodate anyone seems outrageous to me.
Ask the PGA how outrageously far the legal precept of "public accommodation" reaches. ETA: I'd love to hear conservative author D'Nesh D'Souza defend this one.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
("OMG, why is toilet paper always white? It's racist", and yes, I read that one on a forum, and it was not a joke).

'cause if it was brown you'd never know if it was used of not.

[fish]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chalky Studebaker:
"Smegma," IIBC, happens to be a common term for cheese or soap substitutes, particularly during wartime.

There may also be a slightly suggestive connotation to the term.

It's a bit more than "a slightly suggestive connotation."

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

1. I've neaver heard of that one before.
2. There is a guy at my work who's nickname is Skeet. Now he is as old as the hills, but I wonder what he would think if he "knew" what his nickname meant.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
I wonder if the two capital letters (Pastor Abc) take up more space than one capital and 9 small letters?

It could be that they thought "Pastor" is a nickname. Like hip-hop artist Pastor Ma$e. But that's all just speculation.

--------------------
ˇEl Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:
("OMG, why is toilet paper always white? It's racist", and yes, I read that one on a forum, and it was not a joke).

'cause if it was brown you'd never know if it was used of not.

[fish]

I've seen toilet paper with dollar signs on it! And I've seen pink toilet paper. So blah to whoever said that!

--------------------

3rdshifter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3rdshifter         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to all who responded like i said i was sure they had a reason i just didnt know what it was still not clear but they seem to be consistent and thats what i was hoping for. and i had no clue where to look for their policy on the hats so again thanks to everyone
Posts: 26 | From: Turlock, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I had a friend named Sunny- real name Rajesh.
Weird....so do I. Is he an Indian fella? About 24? Prounounced "Rye-esh"?

Maybe it's a common thing for that name?

quote:
It could be that they thought "Pastor" is a nickname. Like hip-hop artist Pastor Ma$e. But that's all just speculation.
Wait...what? I thought I saw on some crappy VH1 or MTV documentary that Mase gave up secular rapping and became a Catholic Priest...for real. Maybe I'm misremembering?

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

To Mr. Baggins- Thank you. I agree with you. I was being outrageous, it is definitely conformism if anything. And I have no problem with that actually. And I can understand not wanting their "brand" distorted. However, sometimes "conformism" leads, completely unintentionally, to disproportionately affecting one group or another. And if a company realizes that, they might want to reconsider. And hey, Disney welcomes Gay Pride Day or something similar, so I guess they can't win.

As an aside, I wonder if the basketball player God Shamgod asked for a hat with his first name, what would they say?

Re: T'aint. My bad, I think the proper spelling, if there was one, would be 'Tain't. It is a contraction of "it ain't." (Just checked the link. It looks like they spell it the way I did originally.)

Blackroses- Coincidence. My friend Sunny would be about 34 or 35. His given name, Rajesh (yes, Indian), is pronounced like it is spelled. He told me that his mom called him Sunny from the get go, or a basic reason- it was sunny on his day of birth and his mom liked the word. I have known a few Indian Sunnys- sometimes short or diminutive for Sunil and the like, or transliterated to English from something similar sounding.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages