snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Child dies after riding Disney rollercoaster

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Child dies after riding Disney rollercoaster
Atomie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atomie   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at the Disney-MGM theme park in Florida has been closed for the time being, following the death of a 12-year-old rider.

It's the latest in a string of tragedies that have stung Walt Disney World in recent years.

Authorities said Michael Russell, of Fort Campbell, Ky., had ridden the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster with his parents and 7-year-old brother. As the family got off the ride, the father noticed his son was limp.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/9447942/detail.html

Posts: 6 | From: France | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donna T
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna T     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
According to all the reports, the rides, themselves, did not actually cause the deaths of these people. Each of them had underlying health issues that actually caused their deaths. Granted the ride may have been a catalyst, but how many people have ridden and NOT died.

--------------------
Life is like a box of chocolates, you gotta try everything to see what you like!!

Posts: 120 | From: Kissimmee, Florida | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Rollercoaster-a-chow

Also, from the FAQ:
quote:
Respect others' copyrights. Specifically, do not post the complete text of newspaper and magazine articles to this board; post excerpts and/or URLs to articles instead.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tenorcs
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tenorcs   Author's Homepage   E-mail tenorcs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I love Disney, I'm a huge Disney fan. I've never had a problem with the Rock n' Roller Coaster. Having ridden it several times, with no problems, (and I'm a big fat guy) I have to wonder if sadly, it was just the little guy's time to go.

Mission: Space, however ... ugh, I rode it ONCE and have vowed to never ride again. That ride gave me the scare of my life - I had chest pain, nausea, dizziness and double vision for 4 full days after riding it. I don't know what exactly the mechanics of the ride are, how they give you that feeling of being "crushed," but it was not a pleasant experience at all.

Posts: 95 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The mechanics of the ride is a simple thing that NASA also uses. It's called a centerfuge.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages