snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Safety advocates, father object to scene in Disney's 'Cars'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safety advocates, father object to scene in Disney's 'Cars'
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bereaved father said Disney will send the wrong message to children if it fails to cut a scene from its movie "Cars" when it is released on DVD.

Dr. Lanny F. Wilson of Hinsdale, whose 14-year-old daughter was killed in a rail crossing accident in 1994, said he's not satisfied with Disney's explanation of the scene in which an animated racecar cuts in front of a speeding train.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/state/14948225.htm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Poor judgment in outrunning the train helps reveal his reckless and thoughtless behavior and is certainly not glorified," Trotta said.
If there is a consequences for his actions shown I don't think there's a problem.

Very small children may not realize that it's poor judgement. But then again very small children tend not to drive cars either.

[sidenote] I always think it's cool when my local paper turns up here [Big Grin]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen the movie. It was a scene set up to make the audiance think "what a moron," but there were no real consequences for it.

I dunno,I guess I really don't see the problem (if there is one, as Candy said most kids don't drive cars.) Shouldn't this be easy to solve by telling Junior "That was pretty silly of McQueen to do, wasn't it? He could have gotten really hurt."

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why just on the dvd? Why are they basing life lessons on CARTOONS? I've seen the movie as well and with a toddler I don't really recall the scene...I may have missed it. Why they didn't they mention his son's age? A lot of scenes in movies could be said as such but then again it's a movie.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Watch Your Kidneys
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watch Your Kidneys   E-mail Watch Your Kidneys   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't like that scene in the movie. I also didn't care for the fact that McQueen tried to outrun the police officer.
Posts: 163 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, remember that McQueen was going to stop because he wanted help. But then, the sheriff began backfiring, he mistook it for gun fire and kept running because he thought he was being shot at. It was a misunderstanding caused by fear, not an effort to subvert authority.

The whole "near miss with a train" thing has been done in cartoons before. The Simpsons springs to mind ("Homer the Heretic" I believe is the one), and I know there are Warner Brothers and other Disney cartoons that have made similar gags with train tracks. I'm not sure why this time is such a big deal.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a car in it named McQueen? (I haven't seen it yet.) Cute. Is it a 1968 Mustang?

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nick - Lighting's, the red race car, last name is McQueen.

And didn't anyone else notice that hell was said twice in a movie meant for little kids?

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would also like to cut all those dangerous actions from the movies, where there are cars jumping over a drawbridge. Heck, overtaking on the right actually *is* a serious risk and many kids think it's cool, so cut that from all the chase scenes too. And how about those ninja movies where they are whirling around with sharp swords for no reason but to impress? Kids, don't do that at home.

I can see how an affected father does not like the scene and may feel really bad, and he has my sympathies, but I think this is bordering on the ridiculous.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if the car/train scene isn't a homage to Tex Avery's cartoon One Cab's Family (which definitely influenced the character design).
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizzie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand the father's view, I mean, he's still grieving (you never get over the death of your child), but he's being a little unreasonable. I have not seen the movie either, but the whole "out-running a train" thing has been done a million times. It's practically a clich.

Really, I'm more upset that they used that tired old sequence. It's getting dull. And, as it's been said, kids don't usually drive cars and it's not that hard to let your children know that that's a bad idea.

Posts: 41 | From: Baxter, MN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone else really over the "Crusade for a Dead Relative" thing? It's tragic that this father lost his daughter, but geez....life isn't sterile. Besides, does he really think his son did something dangerous that killed his sister, because the son was more influenced by TV or movies, than a parental instruction to obey traffic laws? maybe he just feels guilty.

There's a woman whose son was killed because he picked up and shook a Coke machine trying to get a free pop out of it, and it fell on him and killed him. Does she worry about the kind of values she instilled in her son? perhaps...but what she DOES is start a crusade to have pop machines chained to the wall so they can't fall and kill people.

Sheesh.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think children can usually distinguish between reality and fantasy. I don't think we give them enough credit.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrMerkwuerdig
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrMerkwuerdig   E-mail DrMerkwuerdig   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn`t "Cars" meant for children much younger than those who normally drive cars?
Anyway, I can see one reason why the father is protesting the movie, although I do not agree with him at all. He sees the death of his daugther as a failure to protect her, so he is trying to protect all the other children in order to make up for his tragic failure.

--------------------
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Posts: 91 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the scene just hits a nerve for the father and he has my sympathy but I don't think it needs to be removed. Heck, the poor roadrunner had Wild E Coyote trying to blow him up with anything he could get his hands on since I was a toddler.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the scene just hits a nerve for the father and he has my sympathy but I don't think it needs to be removed. Heck, the poor roadrunner had Wild E Coyote trying to blow him up with anything he could get his hands on since I was a toddler.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
I wouldn't be surprised if the car/train scene isn't a homage to Tex Avery's cartoon One Cab's Family (which definitely influenced the character design).

Thank you, Brandi! I have been trying to remember the name of that cartoon ever since I saw the movie, but I couldn't remember who made it.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages