snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Boy dies after riding Disney rollercoaster

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boy dies after riding Disney rollercoaster
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A boy has died after riding the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney-MGM Studios theme park.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-disney06292006,0,5996099.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
F minor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F minor   E-mail F minor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That article is very cagey. Sounds like the ride might not have been involved in his death at all.
Posts: 124 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to know exactly what the cause of death was.

The article really explained more about the ride itself than the boy.

How sad. [Frown]

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I was wondering about it why this was a "Breaking News" item in red at the top of CNN.com. Ok, yeah, a kid died. That is tragic. But does CNN think that is the biggest news right now?
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dfresh:
What I was wondering about it why this was a "Breaking News" item in red at the top of CNN.com. Ok, yeah, a kid died. That is tragic. But does CNN think that is the biggest news right now?

Seemingly random things make the national news. How they are chosen I don't know, but that's the way it is. The Disney connection probably makes this more notable.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would guess that since it's summer now and a lot of families have planned vacations (The biggest one being Disney) that it would attract the public right now.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicki:
I would guess that since it's summer now and a lot of families have planned vacations (The biggest one being Disney) that it would attract the public right now.

Also amusement park safety is a pretty common topic.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been on that ride dozens of times. It is really not that extreme. Makes me a bit nauseous. But, if this child had some undiagnosed brain aneurysm or heart condition, I can see how it could cause his condition to worsen causing death.

Very sad...

Rainmom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Woohoo! I was in that park today!

It's breaking news because it just happened, and it was yet another death at the most popular tourist destination in the world. On WESH (the local NBC station), a doctor was interviewed. He said that the only way this could have happened is if he had an undiagnosed health condition. What's really getting on my nerves is that people are saying "OMG! A kid died in Disney!". Well, honestly, the kid could have died anywhere- even in gym class.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh, tone?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The one in mine? It was sarcastic "woohoo!" It's always a shame when someone dies. And when you get adults going up to you or your co-workers, asking what happened. It's rather annoying, actually. And it's a shame that the boy died. But really, why should I honestly be happy that a child died at my place of employment?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a waffle queen:
But really, why should I honestly be happy that a child died at my place of employment?

You're a secret member of cf_hardcore?
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Just Me
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- The boy who collapsed and died after riding a Disney roller coaster ride may have had a congenital heart abnormality, according to preliminary autopsy findings released Friday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/30/coaster.death/index.html

--------------------
"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." - Willy Wonka

Posts: 388 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages