snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney's Pirates Ride: Just Like in the Movies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Disney's Pirates Ride: Just Like in the Movies
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They don't shoot the hippos because of the animal rights people. The guns were completely removed after 9/11 (IIRC), but were replaced when Disney purists were getting really upset. SpectrOmagic is the new version of the Electric Light Parade, which was brought from Disneyland. They wanted something that wasn't as synthesized-sounding. Also, those floats were getting OOOOOOOOOOOLD (I've seen a few- they look ratty). ExtraTERRORestrial Encounters was downed because too few people were interested, and it scared people too much.

Have you been on "Soarin'" yet? Don't knock it 'til ya try it. It's a phenomenal ride. Oh, and by the way- Spectromagic has been back for at LEAST 3 years and I haven't heard of any parade coming in to replace it.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 211 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney Adds More Depp

Basically, Disney made movies based on a ride and, in turn, is now making the ride look more like the movies. Which, when you think about it, is pretty much what the company has been doing for the past 50 years.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,19351,00.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 104 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A classic Disneyland ride is reborn

And while the early reviews are few, several recent postings on Snopes.com show that some fans believe Disney has plundered a treasure.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/entertainment/ci_3976187

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
A classic Disneyland ride is reborn

And while the early reviews are few, several recent postings on Snopes.com show that some fans believe Disney has plundered a treasure.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/entertainment/ci_3976187

That's pretty cool...

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I'm wondering how Jerry Rice ended up quoting the ULMB instead of one of the many other internet message boards that have been "in mutiny for months" (in the words of the article in the OP). If a reporter just did a web search for opinions about the new PotC ride changes, it's unlikely that this short thread would have popped up to the top of his results.

Huh.

:waves: Hi, Jerry. How ya doin?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"A Pirate's Life For Me" is in the first movie. At the beginning, Elizabeth (as a child) sings it and gets chastised by one of the crew members for singing it. At the end of the movie, Jack Sparrow sings it. (Ok, not the entire song, but he sings a snippet of it.) So I don't see why they would get rid of it for the ride.

Oh, and my ego's totally stoked to be quoted in that last article. I be simple people. [Big Grin]

Ah, Mission To Mars. Now, that in itself was a retooled ride. Originally, it was a trip to the moon. My parents love telling the story of when my brother was little and started to freak, saying, "Are we going back home?!" And this was back with stationary seats surrounding the floor movie of the blast off.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trish, that is too funny!

I've forgotten the name of the ride, but my mom would always end up singing the Delta "If you had wings" song when I bought Always maxi-pads. Great fun for a 14 year old. [lol]

I, however, would get the old Carousel of Progress song stuck in my head for weeks.

um, sorry. Please go back to your regular topic.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 201 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now I'm wondering how Jerry Rice ended up quoting the ULMB instead of one of the many other internet message boards that have been "in mutiny for months" (in the words of the article in the OP). If a reporter just did a web search for opinions about the new PotC ride changes, it's unlikely that this short thread would have popped up to the top of his results.
You doubt the power of snopes?

Try using Google to search on the title of this thread. If a reporter were looking for comments on the article quoted in the OP, this is probably the first place he'd come.

- snopes

Lemon Demon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon Demon   E-mail Lemon Demon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually have a fond memory of the original pirates...

My little sister was so terrified of the cannons and general darkness and chaos of the town scene that she started crying saying, "I want to go back to Disneyland!!!"

--------------------
"Realizing that one could Time Travel within his own liftime, Dr. Sam Becket stepped into the Quantum leap accelerator...and Vanished."-Quantum Leap

Posts: 44 | From: Cameron Park, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 211 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, and my ego's totally stoked to be quoted in that last article. I be simple people.
It's only a matter of time now until some of the daisyslegs gang steal a few of the new pirate figures out of the ride.

- snopes

All-American
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for All-American   E-mail All-American       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as Disneyland, CA is concerned, there are four rotating "turntables". On the first three, a woman is chasing a pirate. One holds a broom, one holds a pitchfork, and one holds a rolling pin. On the fourth turntable, a pirate is chasing a woman, but she's holding a tray with alcoholic beverages.

The "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me" song is still an integral part of the attraction.

There are several neat additions, as well as some spiffing up of the older scenes.

And that's all I'll say about that. [Smile]

Posts: 308 | From: San Fernando, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
You doubt the power of snopes?

Actually, I was doubting the power of Google. snopes has my utmost respect.
quote:

Try using Google to search on the title of this thread. If a reporter were looking for comments on the article quoted in the OP, this is probably the first place he'd come.

You're right. I was trying variations on keywords. It never occurred to me to search the full title of the article.

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It may also be that the author of the article is a dedicated snopester and just decided to slip in an advertisement for the site that helped him a few times with providing background information and cites. Seen that happen on worse occasions [Smile]

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NEWS ABOUT THE RIDE IN WDW!

There will be a soft opening of Pirates of the Caribbean on July 1. I'm thinking that I may go there after work to see it, and tell you what I think.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

What's a "soft opening", Mickey?

--------------------

CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Soft openings"-- be they for rides, restaurants, whatever-- are openings for employee and/or employees and their families. A trial run before they unleash it on the public, basically. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CherryQueen:
"Soft openings"-- be they for rides, restaurants, whatever-- are openings for employee and/or employees and their families. A trial run before they unleash it on the public, basically. [Big Grin]

Not always just for employees. A soft opening may also be when a ride, for example, opens unannounced and unadvertised. Disney did this the summer before Mission: Space's official opening. Every so often, the ropes in front of the entrace would come down and people would be able to ride. It's a period of time to gather guest feedback and make final tweaks before the "grand opening."

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mistake... I think with restaurants it's just employees, their families, and big names and critics. Obviously rides are different.

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Yup. A "soft opening" in Disney means that they unofficially open it early, so it's kind of quiet still. You can bet there will be a TON of people arriving on the 7th.

--------------------

TrishDaDish

Icon 604 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few days ago on the news, they showed a brief clip of Johnny Depp standing next to one of Sparrow's animatronics. (Seems Sparrow is peeking out from the top of a barrel somewhere in the ride.)

And to beat a dead issue into the ground (about original attractions at Disney becoming movies, and then changing the ride to suit the movie):

I just watched The Country Bears movie. Now I demand that the attraction have an automatron of Christopher Walken making fart noises with his armpits, while wearing a suit from the waist up and just boxer shorts and bunny slippers from the waist down. (Hey, you're combining two classic scenes into one, people!)

Good old Country Bears Jamboree. Or as my brother said it when he was small, "The Crunchy Bears".

Trish "Apparently, I never said anything adorable as a child in Disneyworld" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

There was a cast preview yesterday (it was a surprise preview- not even the cast members working that day knew until they clocked in!). I couldn't bring in my camera, but here's my review:
It's different. They still have the classic "Yo Ho" scene in it, they've kept the political correctness...but they have some NFBSKing awesome effects now (you have to see it to understand). And the animatronics have been re-vamped, so they move more fluidly.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Updated Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland sails on amid mixed reviews from purists and pundits

http://www.sacbee.com/content/lifestyle/story/14273960p-15083803c.html

Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kevin Yee provides a blow-by-blow of the changes in the Florida version, with some photos:

http://www.miceage.com/kevinyee/ky070406a.htm

(He also gives a brief summary of that version of the ride before the changes, for those of us who've ridden other versions.)

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link, Echinodermata! I had no idea how different the (original) Flordia version of the ride was compared to the (original) California version. I also haven't been to Disney World since '88, so I can't recall if the ride had gone PC yet. (I had been there a few times as a little kid in the 70's, so I remember the original "un-PC" version.) But the description of contrasts in rides does help to explain any confusion going on, and this without the updated "movie version". And dang, if the animatronics don't look exactly like Depp!

I suppose in a hundred years when I'm rich, I'll be able to go to Disney when I want to. Da was going to take me when we went down for the wedding last december, but that didn't pan out. So now I feel I have to see it one more time in honor of him. All I have to do is somehow become quite rich...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thanks for the link Echinodermata! I grew up in Tampa and spent way too many hours at Disney as a child and teen. (Note to parents in Central FL, if all of your child's friends have passes to Disney and a car, always question them when they come home from school 4 hours late and sunburnt. I would never lie, but was told that I couldn't skip more than once every 2 months.)

Sorry, I'm bad about tangents, but I had 2 thoughts when reading your link. The first one was to think "no flash photos, jerk" and then got to the fact that he was alone on the boat, so I had to give the author a mental apology. The second was to call my mom and tell her that I was coming down so we could see the new ride and told her everything they said.
Thanks again.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
shifty rob
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shifty rob     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Purely by coincidence, I took my family to th Magic Kingdom on Friday, which was the "official" re-opening day for the PoC ride. I thought the updates blended very well with the original parts of the ride, and all in all, it was an improvement rather than just changes for the sake of making movie tie-ins.

What was even more interesting, though, were the number of park visitors (obviously Pirates fans) dressed in pirate regalia for the occasion. It made for great people-watching!

Mickey-is-a-Girl, if you were in character costume friday you might have been photographed with my beautiful granddaughter! I'm sure you would remember- she was the 6-month old with the ear-to-ear grin. You couldn't have missed her.

--------------------
"They got a name for the winners in the world; I want a name when I lose" -Steely Dan

Posts: 480 | From: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking forward to seeing the changes when we go to Disneyworld in September. I was wondering if Mickey-is-a-girl new where she would be working then. I think it would be cool to have the boys get there picture with her, uh I mean Mickey. I know I would not know for sure if it was her, but it would still be cool.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CSGirl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 211 posted      Profile for CSGirl   E-mail CSGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a follow-up to what Trish said about the clip on the news, here is a video of Depp on the ride as well as some of the rest of the ride.

--------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.
-House MD

Posts: 114 | From: Glastonbury, CT / Houghton, NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That video is great, the end made me giggle. The Jack Sparrow figure looks to its left, ducks into the barrel, then comes partway back out, still looking to the left. The neat thing is, Johnny Depp is standing to its left, so you get the impression that the figure just did a double take upon seeing its double.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved how the real Depp would attempt to touch it and when it swiveled its head around he jerked back.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

waffles

--------------------

That was amusing, seeing how freaked out Johnny Depp got when he was looking at the animatronic.

Oh, and for those who asked- SO was in on Friday, so I was a guest, just like everyone else. And my internship ends in August, so I won't be in Orlando in September.

--------------------

The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 604 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Too Bad, [Frown] but I thought that was probably the case. One of the doctors in our office has a daughter on an internship there also, she is working Pirates, and her internship is over in august also. It would have been neat though.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww [Frown] just a few weeks ago Pirates was closed so my kid didn't get to see the new "and improved" FL version (edited because I'm an idiot). Perhaps he'll see them on this FL trip (he's in FL, headed to Miami now... I haven't had a recent update).

Well, at least it doesn't seem like they screwed it up too much. Sure, changes happen. However I feel a supersaturation of the market. Nothing is meant to be lasting. Everything is a fad and the corporates grab the money and run... then come back with a tweaked version of the item and push it on the public once again.

As I said this is why I'm taking the boy to MGM and Animal Kingdom later this year. I don't give a damn about either of those so I don't care how the executives ruin them. (If you were there when animal kingdom opened it would've seemed imposible to ruin anyway.)

Chim (not singing "It's a great big beautiful tommorrow" on selected days... because Now Is The Time!) era

I am starting to hate Disney. Its become the theme park equivalant of "Friends". Let's just hope they don't start trying to push Y necklaces on the public. It might considered cool for a month or two but what about quality, lasting interest, anything worthwhile?

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I rode the new version at Disneyland last week and I really liked it. Not too much was different. I didn't notice that the boat fight scene had been changed until I thought back on it later- it seemed natural to have the wall there instead of another boat. IMO it was less cheesy that way.

My only complaint is that the new animatronic characters make the old ones look horrible. The new ones are so lifelike that they really accent how fake the old ones look. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Disney replaced more of the old animatronics.

They updated the Haunted Mansion a little too (no Eddie Murphy) but I haven't heard any uproar about that.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages