snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney's Pirates Ride: Just Like in the Movies (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Disney's Pirates Ride: Just Like in the Movies
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 211 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The renovated Pirates of the Caribbean attraction will look more like the films it inspired. But some fans feel it's taking marketing too far.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-fi-pirates19jun19,1,4337218.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they're letting the scallywags chase women instead of food, again. At least that's one good thing* that'll come of this.

Now if we could just get Mr. Toad's Wild Ride back...

* "good," in the sense of "keeping old rides the way we remember 'em."

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another "I'll look into it for you" check. Yes, they are changing aspects of it. But all I know is what they've mentioned- that they're going back to the political incorrect-ness of the men chasing the women, and that they're adding Barbossa, Captain Jack and Davey Jones.

Tomorrow is my "Jungle Cruise" day (I'll film the "We love disco" bit for you guys). When it's open, I'll film all of the new PotC ride for those of you that rarely get to see it.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my all-time favorite disney ride with the Haunted Mansion coming in a very close second. I'm excited to see how it turns out! Keep us posted Mickey!

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 211 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But all I know is what they've mentioned- that they're going back to the political incorrect-ness of the men chasing the women
I think Disney was right to change that portion of the ride, just not for the reasons generally given.

To me, the problem with the original version of the "pirates chasing women" scene was not that it dared to show men in pursuit of women (with the presumed intent of claiming the poor lasses' virtue), but that the scenario was essentially just a setup for an unfunny "fat joke": A few pirates chasing attractive young women, followed by a pirate running away from a rotund matron. Yuk, yuk, we get it -- heavy-set women are so hideously undesirable that even a man desperate for sex would flee for his life when approached by one.

Instead of sticking food in the hands of the women, they should have just turned around the final pair of figures.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
To me, the problem with the original version of the "pirates chasing women" scene was not that it dared to show men in pursuit of women (with the presumed intent of claiming the poor lasses' virtue), but that the scenario was essentially just a setup for an unfunny "fat joke": A few pirates chasing attractive young women, followed by a pirate running away from a rotund matron. Yuk, yuk, we get it -- heavy-set women are so hideously undesirable that even a man desperate for sex would flee for his life when approached by one.

I always took it slightly backwards -- that heavy-set women are so desperate for a man that they'd line up to be raped. (Also hinted at the "auction scene" where the large woman seems pleased as punch to be up for sale -- though of course, the sexy redhead seems to be just as eager in that case.)

For a write-up of the coming changes (with spoilers), see http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al053006a.htm

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a waffle queen:
Another "I'll look into it for you" check. Yes, they are changing aspects of it. But all I know is what they've mentioned- that they're going back to the political incorrect-ness of the men chasing the women, and that they're adding Barbossa, Captain Jack and Davey Jones.

And Peter Tork, Mike Nesmith and Mickey Dolenz?

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK. Sorry, Jay, you may like the Monkees, but Davey Jones doesn't quite look as worm-like as the one in the ride will.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Admittedly I've only ridden Pirates of the Carribean once, many years ago, but in the only instance of a rotund woman chasing a man that sticks out in my mind the woman is brandishing a broom rather menacingly at the pirate, who's ducking and running for his life. I'm sure I don't remember all of the ride though, it's been far too long.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The makeover is in the spirit of what Walt Disney would have wanted, Rasulo said. According to one of Disney's most famous quotes, Disneyland will never be complete "as long as there is imagination left in the world."
What imagination? They've made three movies based on one ride (don't get me wrong, I loved the first one), and now they're changing the ride to fit the films. Can someone explain the "imagination" that went into that?

I guess if they can star a drunk pirate as a hero in the ride now, then pirates chasing women is the least of their "Think of the children!!" worries. [Wink]

Trish "So does Jack (the monkey) make an appearance, or what?" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

quote:
They've made three movies based on one ride (don't get me wrong, I loved the first one), and now they're changing the ride to fit the films. Can someone explain the "imagination" that went into that?
But other than sharing a name (and of course the general subject matter of pirates), the ride and the film really had very little in common. They're about as closely related to each other as the Autopia attraction is to the new Pixar movie Cars.

- snopes

Lemon Demon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon Demon   E-mail Lemon Demon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be okay with them changing the politcly corect women chasing scene (they're pirates, we are supposed to believe they want the FOOD more?)
but adding Jack Sparow and Barbosa and changing the score to match the movie's is taking it much too far. If I wanted to see those characters, I'd pony up the five bucks to rent the movie.

--------------------
"Realizing that one could Time Travel within his own liftime, Dr. Sam Becket stepped into the Quantum leap accelerator...and Vanished."-Quantum Leap

Posts: 44 | From: Cameron Park, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pirates is my absolute favorite ride at Disney. I remember my very first time riding it at four years old. When I went a couple years ago, I do remember thinking it could use a little shining up. I'm excited to see what they do with it. I think as long as it's done subtley without a whole lot of "Hey look, it's Jack Sparrow(TM) as played by Johnny Depp!" then it will be fine.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
adding Jack Sparow and Barbosa and changing the score to match the movie's is taking it much too far. If I wanted to see those characters, I'd pony up the five bucks to rent the movie.
So, I presume you never ride any of the following:

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Indiana Jones Adventure, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Alice in Wonderland, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Pinocchio's Daring Journey ...

- snopes

blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lgreywolf:
Admittedly I've only ridden Pirates of the Carribean once, many years ago, but in the only instance of a rotund woman chasing a man that sticks out in my mind the woman is brandishing a broom rather menacingly at the pirate, who's ducking and running for his life. I'm sure I don't remember all of the ride though, it's been far too long.

That's what it was changed to when they switched the other pirates from chasing the wenches to chasing women carrying food. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blucanary:
That's what it was changed to when they switched the other pirates from chasing the wenches to chasing women carrying food. [Roll Eyes]

Ah, I was wondering how they were gonna do that, 'cause if they just put a plate of food in the pirate's hands they'd only go with the 'fatties are gluttons' stereotype...
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

No, this was in the early '90's, and the other pirates were still chasing women without any food trays whatsoever. This was definitely before the PC change.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
adding Jack Sparow and Barbosa and changing the score to match the movie's is taking it much too far. If I wanted to see those characters, I'd pony up the five bucks to rent the movie.
So, I presume you never ride any of the following:

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Indiana Jones Adventure, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Alice in Wonderland, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Pinocchio's Daring Journey ...

- snopes

You're forgetting Peter Pan's Flight, Tom Sawyer Island, Country Bears Jamboree...

--------------------

Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That's what it was changed to when they switched the other pirates from chasing the wenches to chasing women carrying food. :rolleyes:
I have been on the ride many, many times, starting in the early '70s. I remember it as ALWAYS having the last woman chasing the pirate with the broom.

Though it's true that the plump woman in the auction scene appears happy to be sold.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but those examples are rides based on movies, not established rides that were changed to add recent movie characters.

I wonder what they mean by changing the ride's score to the one from the movie. Perhaps the "A pirates life for me" tune is still kept, but it's the version sung/performed in the movie soundtrack? It might not be that major a difference.

quote:
But other than sharing a name (and of course the general subject matter of pirates), the ride and the film really had very little in common. They're about as closely related to each other as the Autopia attraction is to the new Pixar movie Cars.
While I can see your point, they do add several elements from the ride into the first movie, never mind the ride's name. They could've easily just made a pirate movie without having the ride's name slapped on as the title. It's not like Disney hasn't made pirate movies before.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lemon Demon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon Demon   E-mail Lemon Demon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
in fact, "A pirates life for me" has been compeletly removed and replaced by pieces from the movie.

--------------------
"Realizing that one could Time Travel within his own liftime, Dr. Sam Becket stepped into the Quantum leap accelerator...and Vanished."-Quantum Leap

Posts: 44 | From: Cameron Park, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lemon Demon

in fact, "A pirates life for me" has been compeletly removed and replaced by pieces from the movie.

ETA: Double post, sorry.

--------------------

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Demon:

Cite for that?

I assumed that the background music would simply reflect the movie's score, rather than replace the entire ride score. There's enough controversy over changing the ride - removing the song just seems like too much.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That would surprise me. (Particularly since they did use "A Pirate's Life for Me" in the first movie...) I wouldn't be surprised if they use it less, but remove it completely? That would be a shame.

--------------------

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
I have been on the ride many, many times, starting in the early '70s. I remember it as ALWAYS having the last woman chasing the pirate with the broom.

The Disneyland or Disney World version?

As a very long time Disneyland veteran, I am quite positive that the heavy woman chasing the pirate did not have a broom in her hand, nor did she look angry. She had her arms outstretched and a look of glee -- "Gonna get me a MAAAAAAN!" (Until they added the food trays, that is -- then presumably it was "Gonna get me some eats!")

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You're forgetting Peter Pan's Flight, Tom Sawyer Island, Country Bears Jamboree...
Country Bear Jamboree doesn't exist any more at Disneyland, and Tom Sawyer's Island doesn't make use of any characters from the book/film.

- snopes

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

quote:
While I can see your point, they do add several elements from the ride into the first movie, never mind the ride's name.
Sure, but those were all brief, incidental in-jokes, nothing integral to the plot or setting of the film.

quote:
They could've easily just made a pirate movie without having the ride's name slapped on as the title. It's not like Disney hasn't made pirate movies before.
And they could have made all the same changes to the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction without having made the movie first, and hardly anyone would be complaining about it. It's not like Disney hasn't made substantial changes to existing rides before.

- snopes

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Echinodermata Q. Taft:
quote:

That would surprise me. (Particularly since they did use "A Pirate's Life for Me" in the first movie...) I wouldn't be surprised if they use it less, but remove it completely? That would be a shame.
And confusing, since the webpage for the updated ride features the lyrics to the song.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Echinodermata Q. Taft:
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:

The Disneyland or Disney World version?

As a very long time Disneyland veteran, I am quite positive that the heavy woman chasing the pirate did not have a broom in her hand, nor did she look angry. She had her arms outstretched and a look of glee -- "Gonna get me a MAAAAAAN!" (Until they added the food trays, that is -- then presumably it was "Gonna get me some eats!")

Disney World.
Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was Country Bear Jamboree a movie first? Is that new movie some kind of remake? Or am I missing the point of comparison; it was in the "rides based on movies" list, wasn't it?

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Country Bear Jamboree is a show in Frontierland in Walt Disney World. It was made looooong before the movie.

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least I know the Enchanted Tiki Room is safe from any movie modifications!

What?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bluecat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluecat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Tell the Truth:
At least I know the Enchanted Tiki Room is safe from any movie modifications!

What?

i wanted to spit when i saw what they did to that show. now when i think of the tiki room all i can hear is gilbert gottfried *shudders*
Posts: 3 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite game in the Tiki Room is to count the number of people who leave during the show. Highest count...57! I always found it a great resting place in the AC after a swirlled OJ and ice-cream cone.

I do perfer the original though.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As much as I love Gilbert Gottfried I hate the new Tiki Room. I've never seen anyone leave the attraction but the first time I encountered the new version I wanted to. I basically just try to remember and sing the old songs to my boy (and myself). No! its not a beautiful tommorrow!, Now Is The Time, Now is the Best Time, Joy or Strife. I still Listen to the Land We All Love. I make kapow noise at fake hippos on the jungle cruise. Why don't they shot the hippo anymore?

I'm at the point that I hate Disney so much its not funny. Spectra Magic was mildly entertaining but it wasn't the Electic Light Parade. I danced in the streets when they more or less brought that back (actually I claimed some seats at the plaza resturant for the fireworks, during the end but I was still happy that most of the original stuff came back).

I now hate Disney (which is bad because I'm expected to take my kid there in a few months... he's actually there now with his grandparents). They say 'you can never go home again' and I guess that's true. But I still grieve for what's been lost. In my humble opinion what they had was clasic and multi-generational, and what they have now is the latest fad crap. I'm sure they'll saturate the market with it then change it up again. The changes IMHO aren't meant to be improvements but rather cashing in on a short term market. Mission to Mars lived for more than twenty years. How long did Alein live? How about Lilo and Stitch? Ok, perhaps most people didn't want a chessy butt massage wtih odd images of mars but they don't want the other crap either. If they are going to change or replace something I think it should last for more than two years... the same thing goes for the park characters.

There have been some decent updates. If they didn't kill Mr. Toad I would've liked Winnie the Pooh. (Partly because I like saying Pooh) Its a decent ride but IMHO it doesn't compare to the Toad. Buzz Light Year is fun but I miss: Eastern's "If you had wings" and all the other renamed but mostly the same rides that followed. My kid is still grieving for the loss of Horizons and world of motion (even though he's now big enough for fast track). I know its know EPCOT but we'll still wear our "Epcot Center" t-shirts. We've been made fun of being out dated but we don't care. We grew up Disney. We know what it was supposed to be.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages