snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Piglet keeps Pooh off the air in Turkey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Piglet keeps Pooh off the air in Turkey
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Turkey's public television TRT, controlled by the Islamist-rooted government, has barred the popular Walt Disney cartoon Winnie the Pooh from air because it has a piglet as one of its main heroes.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19503274-1702,00.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 601 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My bank has a daily trivia question posted. Today's was true/false question asking whether some country had banned the Muppets because a main character is a pig.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bubby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubby   E-mail Bubby       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, was it?
Posts: 110 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bubby:
Well, was it?

Yes. One of the main characters in the Muppets was a pig. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Republican
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Republican   E-mail Republican   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd think that they'd be even more likely to ban Pluto, since islamic fundamentalists feel that dogs should not used be pets. Dogs in islamic civilization are considered to be almost as dirty as pigs.

--------------------
I'm a rumour weed.

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Republican:
I'd think that they'd be even more likely to ban Pluto, since islamic fundamentalists feel that dogs should not used be pets. Dogs in islamic civilization are considered to be almost as dirty as pigs.

1) What do you mean by "fundamentalists"? 2) Please give some support to your opinion that "dogs in islamic civilization [?] are considered to be almost as dirty as pigs". 3) What does all this have to do with mice owning pet dogs?

ETA Apparently you're right about the fundamentalists. Religion is so arbitrary to me. Why in the world... But I stand my ground on the mouse issue! [Smile] (Most scholars now think it's not haram to own a dog as a pet but you just have to wash yourself after touching them. Whatever. [Roll Eyes] )

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the "dogs as pets" issue is currently changing. They used to be low on the scale of things, but have become increasingly popular. In most cases, they are still "outdoor pets", living in a dog house rather than in the real house, but that attitude is also changing.

I think it's changing because no one can resist to cuddle a puppy while making stupid noises. [Smile]

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ron Miel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Miel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bassist:
quote:
Originally posted by Bubby:
Well, was it?

Yes. One of the main characters in the Muppets was a pig. [Roll Eyes]
Actually, SEVERAL of the main characters were pigs. There were at least four of them.
Posts: 39 | From: London, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some Turkish acquaintances, so I'll ask them about it. However, I highly doubt this.

--------------------
¡El Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam

Icon 207 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Republican:

I know this isn't necessarily indicative of modern Islam, but I recall that in the Book of the Thousand and One Nights, there is a story of a man who was turned into a dog by a ghoul and was eventually "adopted" by a friendly butcher. If memory serves, the man/dog felt he actually had it pretty good, what with the free food, shelter, etc. That hardly strikes me as how one would treat an animal that was thought to be revolting.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages