snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Rude French at EuroDisney (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Rude French at EuroDisney
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, ramblin' again:
Actually, there's a perception among many Americans (I guess it's fair to call it a stereotype rather than a perception) that the British think we're a bunch of hicks who stole and mutilated their language. So I don't know how much clout you should give to British attitudes when it comes to what Americans think.

And yes, that is a perception- not the truth (not to mention that there is no such thing as a British language...). But thanks for disregarding an entire nation's opinion because you think we don't like you.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, ramblin' again:
Actually, there's a perception among many Americans (I guess it's fair to call it a stereotype rather than a perception) that the British think we're a bunch of hicks who stole and mutilated their language. So I don't know how much clout you should give to British attitudes when it comes to what Americans think.

And yes, that is a perception- not the truth (not to mention that there is no such thing as a British language...). But thanks for disregarding an entire nation's opinion because you think we don't like you.
Chill already! I didn't say I agreed with that attitude, just that it was out there. In fact, I don't think it's a fair characterization at all, which is why I identified it as a stereotype. My point was that you had a French guy accusing Americans of disliking the French based on what a British person said about the French. (Sorry to bring it up again, since Alex apologized!) It just struck me as kind of odd that anyone should arrive at a conclusion like that given that there are probably just as many British people who don't like the Americans as there are who don't like the French.

Now, do you really think it's unfair to say that some of you don't like us very much? I've been warned more than once against even opening my mouth in some parts of England, lest somebody notice my accent and give me a black eye.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marzndruz:
[QB]The absolute worst experience I ever had was in the town of Fussen in Bavaria/Germany.[QB]

Really?? I was just there last summer. I speak what could charitably be called "tourist German"; I studied German in high school for two years, and brushed up for several months before our trip by taking a course at adult school and buying those language CDs and listening to them in the car while driving to and from work each day. I was fully prepared for my every effort at speaking the language to be greeted by either laughter or the person I was speaking to switching to English.

Much to my delight, no one laughed at me (in my face, anyway- who knows what happened once I left [Wink] ), and only when I was really tired did the person I was speaking to seem to feel the need to switch to English. I was pretty proud of myself, actually, as it was the first time I ever used a foreign language with real live speakers of that language. Overall, I found the Germans were very polite and patient with me in my pitiful efforts. I would definitely go back one day. [Smile]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alex, merci. Peut-etre nous boirons des pastis quelque jour.

The only time I can recall any Frenchman not behaving with impeccable courtesy and charm was in a seafood restaurant in La Rochelle, and even then I had to admire the man's panache. The menu had a dazzling variety of fish dishes, but many of the French names were unfamiliar even to Mrs Fizz, who lived and studied in France. So we asked the waiter what one particularly intriguing dish was, hoping that he would be able either to translate into an English name or to describe the fish enough for us to guess what it was. He looked me contemptuously in the eye, paused for effect, and in a heavy accent said in English, "Eeet ees a feesh", and walked off.

I ordered the lamb, and got gastro-enteritis [Big Grin]

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wolfe2dale
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wolfe2dale   E-mail wolfe2dale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I was saying is that the prevalent attitude in the UK tends to be anti-french. This was meant as an example of how urban myths (french=rude) can effect the average person on the street.

My own preference for holidaying in the US rather than France is just that, my preference...

It wasn't meant as an indictment of the entire French people.

No, I'm not a Sun reader, but I do have a personal bias against the French, mostly due to my upbringing, culture, & a few bad experiences of Frenchmen very much like me, but in reverse.

The bulk of the population in England is classified as an average 'Sun/Mirror' reader, your classic 'white van' man. This segment of the British people are not fond of the French, this isn't meant badly, it's just a fact of life here. This is what happens when two countries have been neighbours for a thousand years & don't tend to see eye-to-eye on a lot of things.

Also, the anti-english sentiment fostered by Chirac's government & his personal attacks on us in recent years has not done anything to help this.

Besides, the French have as many bad things to say about us as we do them, both countries are basically as powerful as each other, and over the years, have formed a sort of 'contempt of equals'.

At the same time, there are quite a few francophiles in England & anglophiles in France. You can't really stereotype an entire nation, (no matter how much it might be [Smile] ).

Posts: 80 | From: Hemel Hempstead, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe2dale:

The bulk of the population in England is classified as an average 'Sun/Mirror' reader, your classic 'white van' man.

Really? By who?

quote:

This segment of the British people are not fond of the French, this isn't meant badly, it's just a fact of life here.

What? No it isn't. You don't like the French- but you can't speak for the entire country. To quote one of your own comments-'You can't really stereotype an entire nation'. You're making us look like a common, racist, horrible nation. Please don't try to put the whole of England under your own banner, we're not all like that.

--------------------

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(not to mention that there is no such thing as a British language...)

Well, there is. Sort of. English is a British language; so is Welsh. Etc.

There's no such thing as the British language.

*removes pedantic hat* [Big Grin] [fish] <-- at self

But well bloody said in your post above this one.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

ops, should proof read before I press send!! [fish]

--------------------

Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NinthSign:
I've traveled with some really rude Canadians. When I was sixteen I went to Greece with some people at my high school, and we were combined with a group from Ontario and a group from British Columbia and many people, even those from my high school were rude. Two girls I had to room with at the first hotel were horsing around and broke a glass sliding door then went into histrionics when they were told that they actually might have to pay for it. Oh no, it was not their fault they were trying to fit a huge chair through a small door onto an even smaller balcony clearly the glass in Greece is inferior. They laughed at traditional costumes (oh my god, hes wearing tights!) and open hand waved at everyone even though our guide told us it was rude several times [dunce]

Methinks that their state of being teenagers has a lot to do with their rudeness if not everything.

--------------------
Sm hnor skall inte lgga stora gg fr d blir de slarviga i ndan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wolfe2dale
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wolfe2dale   E-mail wolfe2dale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The bulk of the population in England is classified as an average 'Sun/Mirror' reader, your classic 'white van' man.

Really? By who?

quote:

This segment of the British people are not fond of the French, this isn't meant badly, it's just a fact of life here.

What? No it isn't. You don't like the French- but you can't speak for the entire country. To quote one of your own comments-'You can't really stereotype an entire nation'. You're making us look like a common, racist, horrible nation. Please don't try to put the whole of England under your own banner, we're not all like that.

Um... You are making me out to be far worse than I am. There is no racism here, the differences between us and the French are purely cultural, not racial so the the word does not relate to this topic at all.

This started out as a funny observation on the very British quirk of disliking the French. I'm not sure why you are getting so upset about it. I am just relating the opinions of a great many people I have met, I'm not actually attacking the French, more explaining a prevalent opinion that I have experienced personally in the UK.

By the way, have you ever opened a tabloid paper? It's actually difficult to get to the last page without an anti-french rant of some kind.

Posts: 80 | From: Hemel Hempstead, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way, have you ever opened a tabloid paper? It's actually difficult to get to the last page without an anti-french rant of some kind.

Or indeed any kind of moan about Europe in general. Some papers have been flying very close to the wind in their rants against the Germans. With the World Cup coming up (apparently) this is bordering on the irresponsible.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
originally quoted by wolf2dale
quote:

Really? I doubt it. Mind you, the Sun/Mirror/Star versions we get here are sanitised versions printed in Ireland. [lol]

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
quote:

Or indeed any kind of moan about Europe in general. Some papers have been flying very close to the wind in their rants against the Germans. With the World Cup coming up (apparently) this is bordering on the irresponsible.
Not just that, a lot of papers appear to be running huge spreads on Nazis and The second world war.

Just this Sunday both the Times and The Express managed to hoy in huge articles on the second world war.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wee wifey:
Not just that, a lot of papers appear to be running huge spreads on Nazis and The second world war.

Just this Sunday both the Times and The Express managed to hoy in huge articles on the second world war.

But couldn't that have something to do with today being the anniversary of D-Day?
Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DadOf3:
quote:

But couldn't that have something to do with today being the anniversary of D-Day?
well it could be, although I fail to see how "pictures of Anne Frank before her ordeal" or "Hitler's secret love bunker" or whatever the claptrap was, could be related to D-Day.

--------------------

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There has also been a lot of negative publicity about the Germans today. One person is selling plastic Spitfire models in the colours of the English flag and supporters have been told that they will be confiscated if they are brought into Germany for the Wolrd Cup.

There are constant reminders in the press about any mention of the Nazis and the Second World War in general being 'against the law' and that anyone who 'mentions the war' will be arrested. (I know this is probably not true, but the British press is not known for letting the facts get in the way of a good story.)

English football supporters are not know for their sensitivity so I will not be surprised if more than a few do not taunt the Germans in some way. Really this World Cup is a keg of gunpowder waiting to go off and the British press seem to be supplying the matches to the English fans.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There are constant reminders in the press about any mention of the Nazis and the Second World War in general being 'against the law' and that anyone who 'mentions the war' will be arrested.

"I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Express managed to hoy in huge articles on the second world war.

How on earth did they find space amongst the articles about Princess Diana?

(BTW, nice to see you again [Smile] )

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One person is selling plastic Spitfire models in the colours of the English flag and supporters have been told that they will be confiscated if they are brought into Germany for the Wolrd Cup.

Really this World Cup is a keg of gunpowder waiting to go off and the British press seem to be supplying the matches to the English fans.

Has anyone heard a strange, vaguely neo-fascist version of the song "I Am The Music Man" recently?

I was at a wedding at the weekend and they played this as a singalong and action dance. After all the usual instruments like pianos and trumpets and stuff, it suddenly went "I can play at Dambusters", switched to the Dambusters theme and everybody started zooming about pretending to be Lancaster bombers. Then there was a football chant part. (I think it was Ol Ol Ol Ol, but it might have been Engerland Engerland Engerland, I can't remember) It was all vaguely unpleasant and I wondered if it was a World Cup version or if anybody knew what it was.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

English football supporters are not know for their sensitivity so I will not be surprised if more than a few do not taunt the Germans in some way.

So, is there any truth to the story about Margaret Thatcher's best-comeback-ever, when some staffer told her the German team had beaten the British one in the world cup tournament? "They beat us at our national passtime, but we beat them twice this century at theirs." [Big Grin]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The actual quote was by Vincent Mulchrone writing in the Daily Mail before the 1966 World Cup final - "If the Germans beat us at our national game today, we can always console ourselves that we have twice beaten them at theirs."

ETA: Here's more about the inflatable spitfires.

quote:
"It's not a link to the War," he insisted. "It's just an English symbol of victory. They look like flags when you hold them aloft. I don't see how that can be inflammatory."
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
One person is selling plastic Spitfire models in the colours of the English flag and supporters have been told that they will be confiscated if they are brought into Germany for the Wolrd Cup.

Really this World Cup is a keg of gunpowder waiting to go off and the British press seem to be supplying the matches to the English fans.

Has anyone heard a strange, vaguely neo-fascist version of the song "I Am The Music Man" recently?

I was at a wedding at the weekend and they played this as a singalong and action dance. After all the usual instruments like pianos and trumpets and stuff, it suddenly went "I can play at Dambusters", switched to the Dambusters theme and everybody started zooming about pretending to be Lancaster bombers. Then there was a football chant part. (I think it was Ol Ol Ol Ol, but it might have been Engerland Engerland Engerland, I can't remember) It was all vaguely unpleasant and I wondered if it was a World Cup version or if anybody knew what it was.

Richard, that version has been around for at least 15 years, I used to hear it every Thursday night @ the Dome in Birmingham.

Frankly, compared to Stan Boardman's Worldcup song that I had the misfortune to hear today which had the delightful lines "Singing aye aye yippy, the Germans bombed our chippy" and "there'll be 30 lads with asbos and tags".Music Man/Dambusters is pure poetry.

Makes you proud, doesn't it [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stan Boardman releasing a world cup song about how "the Jermans bombed our chippy"? What next - The Sun doing a hilarious updated version of the Dad's Army theme tune?

--------------------

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey

quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
Stan Boardman releasing a world cup song about how "the Jermans bombed our chippy"? What next - The Sun doing a hilarious updated version of the Dad's Army theme tune?

is that the Jurgen Klinsmen one, thankfully I've not heard it yet. Nor have I heard John Cleese's.

Let's face it, they'll be singing "three Lions" & brass bands will be playing "Vindaloo" on the terraces, regardless.

--------------------

Stoneage Dinosaur

Yep - and they're releasing a range of t-shirts with logos that also allude to Hitler, such as "Jurgen has only got one Ballack".

--------------------

Alex Buchet
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All I was saying is that the prevalent attitude in the UK tends to be anti-french. This was meant as an example of how urban myths (french=rude) can effect the average person on the street.

My own preference for holidaying in the US rather than France is just that, my preference...

It wasn't meant as an indictment of the entire French people.

No, I'm not a Sun reader, but I do have a personal bias against the French, mostly due to my upbringing, culture, & a few bad experiences of Frenchmen very much like me, but in reverse.

The bulk of the population in England is classified as an average 'Sun/Mirror' reader, your classic 'white van' man. This segment of the British people are not fond of the French, this isn't meant badly, it's just a fact of life here. This is what happens when two countries have been neighbours for a thousand years & don't tend to see eye-to-eye on a lot of things.

Also, the anti-english sentiment fostered by Chirac's government & his personal attacks on us in recent years has not done anything to help this.

Besides, the French have as many bad things to say about us as we do them, both countries are basically as powerful as each other, and over the years, have formed a sort of 'contempt of equals'.

At the same time, there are quite a few francophiles in England & anglophiles in France. You can't really stereotype an entire nation, (no matter how much it might be :) ).

Quite reasonable, Wolfe, and I agree with your observations (with some cavils-- for example, Chirac hasn't really attacked the English; that's just another Murdock myth.)

Basically, the worst quarrels are family quarrels; France and England are sisters.

I think a sense of humour about the whole business is in order, if the Entente Cordiale is to survive. Don't worry, one day the echos of Agincourt and Waterloo will die out...

Once more, I apologise, Wolfe. Obtusely, I hadn't recognised the irony in your post.

Ah, perfide Albion!

Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

quote:
I used to hear it every Thursday night @ the Dome in Birmingham.

[Eek!]

You just had to mention that place and make me relive the horror, didn't you?!

--------------------

wee wifey

quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
quote:
I used to hear it every Thursday night @ the Dome in Birmingham.

[Eek!]

You just had to mention that place and make me relive the horror, didn't you?!

[lol] I could have left out the name of the establishment, but I thought to myself "Mosh will remember the Dome". BTW it's closed down now, after a brief outing as "Dome II"

--------------------

ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*notices that complete lack of disney mention for a good long while*

Wow not just off topic but off-forum theme. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the difference between a Frenchman and Walt Disney?
The Frenchman expects a 35 hour working week with extensive statutory holiday entitlement and generous rights to security of employment... but Walt Disney.

There we go [Wink]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Stoneage Dinosaur's link:
quote:
Before he was sacked as home secretary in May, Charles Clarke told the 100,000 England fans expected to visit Germany that glorifying the country's Nazi past is a criminal offence and that brandishing inflatable Spitfires could land them in trouble. "It's not a joke, it is not a comic thing," he said.

Asst Chief Constable Stephen Thomas, who is heading the delegation of 82 British police officers in Germany, admitted that the Spitfire issue was "tricky".

"The Germans," he said, "have a sense of humour. It's not a criminal offence to sell or display these items, but we have real concerns about how people might behave once they have a bit to drink. It could step over into insulting or threatening behaviour."

Just to make that clear: glorifying nationalsocialism, Hitler or organisations like the SS is indeed a criminal offence in Germany. Mentioning them, as well as "the war", isn't. And "insulting or threatening behaviour" is AFAIK, a criminal offence everywhere (depending on circumstances, of course).

From my impression, English football fans coming to Germany for the Fifa World Cup 2006 (TM) will probably be disappointed that the Germans don't get their jokes about Nazi Germany. The football-arch-enemy-ship felt by the English against the Germans is one-sided: German fans are much to busy bashing the Netherlands. The inflatable spitfires will probably get an acknowledgment along the lines of "Hey, he's waving a plane! What's that supposed to mean? Nice colours, though." And "Jurgen has only got one Ballack" might get you into trouble, but more because "it say's something rude about Ballack" but because anybody gets the Hitler reference.

Having said that, back to topic (well, kind of - no Euro Disney in my post):

I've been to France (Nancy) recently, and I, too, found the French very nice and polite. I only speak a few words of French, but I had no problems at all. The barstaff in a pub was happy to replace half of what they brought with what I actually wanted, even if the misunderstanding was at least partly because of my crappy French (the other part was the noise in that pub). And, coming back to what Alex Buchet said on page one ("And especially, DON'T let your kids run wild!"), the misbehaving brat of our American friends never got so much as a raised eyebrow - not even in a rather upmarket restaurant!

Don "yay to the French!" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 604 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
What's the difference between a Frenchman and Walt Disney?
The Frenchman expects a 35 hour working week with extensive statutory holiday entitlement and generous rights to security of employment... but Walt Disney.

There we go [Wink]

Sankyouberymuch [Cool]

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex Buchet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair, I've known a bunch of French workers at Disneyland Paris, and they were all very happy with their jobs.

France has an interesting relationship with Disney; It starts with the Disney family itself-- in the remote past, they were D'Isigny, French emigrants to Ireland, then America. At the time of the opening of EuroDisney, Roy Disney Jr posed in the village of Isigny whence his ancestors allegedly came. And, of course, Walt Disney served in France as an ambulance driver in WW I.

(POSSIBLE U.L. ALERT! AH-OO-GAH! AH-OO-GAH!)

France has historically been Disney's second-largest market, although I believe Japan has overtaken in recent years. The Disney comic 'Le Journal de Mickey' has recently celebrated its 70th birthday. And think of all the Disneyana based on French folklore and art: Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast... recently, Disney sadly wound up its Paris studios-- the main source for TV's 'Duck Tales', and for the recent 'Fantasia' update. Sigh.

Some translations:

Uncle Scrooge-- Oncle Picsou (roughly, "pennypincher")

Gladstone Gander-- Gontran

Huey, Louie, and Dewey-- Riri, Fifi, and Loulou.

Gyro Gearloose-- Go Trouvetout ("George Findoutanything")

Black Pete-- Pat Hibulaire (roughly, 'Gallows Fodder')

Goofy-- Dingo

Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex Buchet

Waffle
Alex Buchet

Wafflez-vous!
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages