snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Tourist found dead in pool at Disney hotel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tourist found dead in pool at Disney hotel
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A tourist from Colorado has drowned at a Walt Disney World resort.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-cfbriefs06_306may06,0,7534578.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BulldogSID
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BulldogSID     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite part about this story, from a journalistic standpoint, is that it is 108 words long and had six different contributors help write it, an average of 18 words per writer.
Posts: 6 | From: Redlands, CA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
< hijack >Well it seems odd, but there's actually a lot of different information packed into a little bit of space. So while one person was concentrating on the woman's background another might have been trying to find out the details of her treatment.

Just as a professor might use information found by five different research assistants in one paper. < / hijack >

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mean to be flippant regarding anyones death, but someone once pointed out to me that more tourists die in Disneyland than were ever killed in Belfast.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have noticed quite a few Disney death threads lately.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that solves it! It's not just a coincidence that after so many people come in and out of Disney parks daily, an occasional death happens! It's obviously a cursed franchise! Cursed, I tells ya! CURSED!!!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
I don't mean to be flippant regarding anyones death, but someone once pointed out to me that more tourists die in Disneyland than were ever killed in Belfast.

First of all, are you sure that's true? Was that someone including vehicle accidents and deaths by natural causes, etc. or only bombs?

Second, a lot more people visit Dineyland than Belfast. During the troubles, somewhere around 60 times more people visited Disneyland than Belfast yearly. Even now, Disneyland has more than ten times the visitors.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
someone once pointed out to me that more tourists die in Disneyland than were ever killed in Belfast.

You need to change your screen name. It is no longer appropriate.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...well, you know...they do say "swim at your own risk" with signs posted all over in the resorts. I want to see what the estimated time of death is.

And have you noticed that a lot of the guest deaths lately are stupidity-related or undiagnosed medical condition-related?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a waffle queen:
...well, you know...they do say "swim at your own risk" with signs posted all over in the resorts. I want to see what the estimated time of death is.

And have you noticed that a lot of the guest deaths lately are stupidity-related or undiagnosed medical condition-related?

Yeppers. Hence why I don't weep for them. I'm not heartless but I was raised under the idea of "If you dont' use your head you will lose it".

Ring "I....er My Dad Told You So" Otaku

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:

First of all, are you sure that's true? Was that someone including vehicle accidents and deaths by natural causes, etc. or only bombs?

Second, a lot more people visit Dineyland than Belfast. During the troubles, somewhere around 60 times more people visited Disneyland than Belfast yearly. Even now, Disneyland has more than ten times the visitors.

I'm sure it was used in a facetious way, in response to my concern about going up there. But AFAIK, I don't think any tourists were ever killed in "The Troubles", until the Omagh bombing when a group of Spanish exchange students were among those killed and injured.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeppers. Hence why I don't weep for them. I'm not heartless but I was raised under the idea of "If you dont' use your head you will lose it".
Well.. You cannot really blame people who die of an undiagnosed medical condition.. I mean, the very fact that its undiagnosed means they didn't know they had it and thus couldn't really avoid it.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:

I'm sure it was used in a facetious way, in response to my concern about going up there. But AFAIK, I don't think any tourists were ever killed in "The Troubles", until the Omagh bombing when a group of Spanish exchange students were among those killed and injured.
You need to re-read Ganzfeld's post. The odds of a tourist dying in Belfast during the Troubles were extremely low because tourists didn't go to Belfast during the Troubles..

RingOtaku, I'd love to hear how you expect people to "use their heads" in regard to medical conditions they don't know they have. [Confused]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:
< hijack >Well it seems odd, but there's actually a lot of different information packed into a little bit of space. So while one person was concentrating on the woman's background another might have been trying to find out the details of her treatment. < / hijack >

I counted about 16 facts in there, so that's just under three facts each:

Her name
Her age
Where she was from
The fact that she died
That she died in a swimming pool
The location of the pool

-----------

That "guests" tried to resuscitate her
That one of the guests was a registered nurse
The name of the nurse
Where the nurse was from
The equipment she used
How she got the equipment

-----------

When the woman arrived at the resort
How long she was staying
Why she was there

-----------

Where she worked

The first group of facts came from the "Orange County Sheriff's Office"

The second two groups of facts were "shown by records" (perhaps different sets of records, as this is mentioned twice)

It doesn't mention how they know the final fact.

So ... one person to somehow hear about the story in the first place. One person to ring the Sheriff's office. Two people to obtain the "records" from different sources. One person to read the records. One person to collate the information and write the story.

Gosh, they managed without an editor!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages