snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Another death at Epcot's Mission: Space (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another death at Epcot's Mission: Space
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ringotaku:
people die because they ignore the rules meant to keep them alive. They do it everywhere. Leave the Mouse House alone. Disney shouldn't have to make idiot-proof technology

But...but...it's DISNEY! They have to be PERFECT!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a moose:
Yes, momto4+, they should do just that. Have everyone sign a release form. They can do that, along with the biometric finger scans! [fish]

I really hope that you know I was being sarcastic. Hence the reason I ended my post with:
"The ride didnt kill her she killed herself by going on the ride."

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I did know that it was out of sarcasm. I was just saying that because I think the biometric finger scanning is a bit of a waste of time, and Disney WOULD be the type to have people sign a release form!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

FWIW, I decided to do some more precise calculations from Jimmy101's idea, and after getting his permission, I'm going to post it. So here goes:

For math's sake, we'll use American average figures. We will also, for math's sake, round to the nearest 10.

~ Average life expectancy: 70
~ Assume that the chance of death is constant throughout life (for ease of calculation)
~ The ride is four minutes long; rider change-out and check is about 2 minutes. Total time for each rider is approximately 6 minutes.

Therefore, the chances of dying in any 6-minute period is 70 * 365 * 24 * 60/6. It comes out to about 1:6,132,000

Next, we assume:

~ 160 guests/cycle (4 bays, 10 pods in each bay...you figure it out)
~ 6 minute total ride time
~ M:S is open for 12 hours a day, generally (9 am-9 pm)

For a ten-year period estimation of total passengers, we'll use the official opening day of 6 October 2003. So that leads us from 2003-2012. 2003-2012 has 3 leap years. So we will also have to factor in those three days.

~ 160/6 * 60 * 12 * 365 * 10 is the equation to factor the 10 years (sans the extra 3 days). So that's 70,080,000 people in 10 years.

Let's include the 3 days...

~ (160/6 * 60 * 12 * 365 * 10) + (160/6 * 60 * 12 * 3) = 70,080,000 + 57,600.

~ So the total number of riders in 10 years would be 70,137,600.

To get the number of people that would die in a 10-year period on this ride would then be 70,137,600/6,132,000.

Rounding down (because you can't have partial riders!), approximately 11 people will die on Mission: Space in 10 years, presumably due to natural causes.

HOWEVER after some discussion with SO, he made me realize one error-

It's not necessarily that 11 people will die on the ride in 10 years. It's that 11 people with undiagnosed, potentially fatal health problems and/or people that disregard the warnings have the POTENTIAL for dying on the ride. When you consider that those with undiagnosed health problems are like a time bomb, where anything could set it off, it's just chance that they would die on a ride like this.

So, to Cliff's Notes it- In 10 years, 11 people will potentially die on the ride. So far, it has been 2. Let's see how these figures last.

--------------------

ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ringotaku:
people die because they ignore the rules meant to keep them alive. They do it everywhere. Leave the Mouse House alone. Disney shouldn't have to make idiot-proof technology

But...but...it's DISNEY! They have to be PERFECT!
Really? Does Disney know that?

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
FWIW, I decided to do some more precise calculations from Jimmy101's idea, and after getting his permission, I'm going to post it. So here goes:

For math's sake, we'll use American average figures.
approximately 11 people will die on Mission: Space in 10 years, presumably due to natural causes.

Cool figures. Last thing to take into account in a calculation like this is to go back and reexamine the assumptions.

In this case, the big assumption is that the chances of death in a particular minute is constant throughout a persons life. Obviously this is not true. A 70 year old is much more likely to drop dead than a 20 year old. Of course, there aren't many 70 year olds on the ride but the mortality statistic is largely based on the more elderly people. So, it would seem that the estimate should be on the high side, that is, it will predict more deaths than would actually be observed.

There is an easy way to correct the numbers, if we have another statistic available. To correct for the age of the riders we should be able to just compare the number of people who drop dead while waiting in line for the ride with the number that die on the ride. This way can use the same population of people to generate the "expected death rate" (dying in line) which can then be compared with the death rate on the ride. If the two death rates are the same then the ride probably isn't the underlying cause of the deaths.

So, how often does someone drop dead while waiting in line? I wouldn't expect that kind of death to get the national attention that a death on the ride gets so I probably wouldn't see it on the local news.

We do have to take into account that people spend a lot longer in line than actually on the ride. Perhaps an hour in line for a six minute ride?

Mickey is a moose have you ever hear of a person dying while waiting in line?

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy101:
Mickey is a moose have you ever hear of a person dying while waiting in line?

Not specifically, no, though there have been some people passing out due to heat from standing in lines. Honestly, they don't have that many deaths, when you think about it. And most of the time, it's guest stupidity.

--------------------

Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been times I've thought about killing myself in line. ie, 3 hour wait for Space Mountain on Grad Nite, 1992. Wasn't my idea, couldn't leave, thank you illicit drugs.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Garf64
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Garf64   E-mail Garf64   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most interesting reading.. wonder when people are going to get over the fact that sooner or later we all die and if we keep putting restrictions on everything due to those that heed the warnings there will come a time when it wont be safe to get out of bed. Besides, what better way to go then on an exhilerating space ride, well then again I guess some could say there are better ways to leave this world. Well put qoute moose "leave the mouse alone"
Posts: 1 | From: Satellite Beach, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
// Grammar nerd hijack//
quote:
State officials said Disney reported the woman feeling dizzy and nauseous after her ride Tuesday.
I think it's sad that the reporter said the woman was "sickening" after the ride. Some reporters have no respect for the dead. [fish]

ETA: I want to ride Mission: Space! I haven't been to Disneyworld since I was 5!!!

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney to Offer Tamer Version of Ride

Walt Disney World said that it will offer another, tamer version of its Mission: Space attraction, less than three weeks after a woman became ill on the ride and later died.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DISNEY_WORLD_DEATH?SITE=FLTAM

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

What? NO!!!

*shrugs* I'll inform you guys of how it is when I go down in a few weeks.

Although, it could be as simple as adjusting some of the line set-up, and having one or two of the bays be "Mission: Space- Without the Sick Bags", and not the building a new one right next to it.

--------------------

waffles

--------------------

ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why I don't go to Disney World. Give me Sea World anyday.

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aneee
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aneee   E-mail aneee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For Heaven's Sake, At least she died doing something funnnn. It could have been chewing on a piece of chicken in her own dining room for petes sake. I am definitely not going to take 2 incidinces when hundreds of thousands have ridden with no problems. Sheesh, It would be more likely you could die stepping on a poison spider that hid in youre shoe while you were making wild passionate love ontop the Epcott Ball in Orlando, get real folks. My 2cents.
Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a big ride afficionado but one thing I do remember from when I went to Disney World in 1994 was the sheer number of warning signs on things like Space Mountain. Nobody can say they're not warned sufficiently that people with high blood pressure should not ride those sorts of rides.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Hey, now that I'm back in Orlando...would you guys like me to do a tally of the number of warnings on Mission: Space? Just to see how stupid these guests really are.

--------------------

"Family sues Disney over boy's death after ride"

quote:
One year after a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy died after riding Epcot's Mission: Space simulator ride, his family has sued Walt Disney World for wrongful death.

The family of Daudi Bamuwamye sued the company Tuesday in Orange County Circuit Court seeking unspecified damages. The suit says company officials did not adequately warn the public of the ride's hazards, should never have allowed a boy so small onto the ride and didn't do enough to help him when he got off the ride stricken.

Rest of article here.

And I have yet to ride Mission: Space again. I may do it on Saturday, before work.

--------------------

onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been on this ride a few times and yeah, it's a pretty intense ride that made me pretty nauseous when I rode it right after breakfast. But there's a big old sign right at the entrance with a ride description (that does mention the spinning if I remember correctly) and health warnings out the yin-yang. If you're in too much of a flippin hurry to stop and check out whether or not a ride may or may not be appropriate for your child, that's hardly anyone's fault but your own.

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No publicity is bad publicity. Its got Disney's name back out there in force. It got my kid to fear that his favourite rides might disappear. It got my parents to agree to take him there on Monday (they came up with that genius plan last night). I think things like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are like the Mind Bender/Six Flags (that he just had to ride last year because he heard someone had died on it) seem like a bigger challenge. The likelyhood of dying are next to nill for a healthy individual but the bragging rights for small kids seem pretty great. It seems the best way to get my kid to want to do something is to say some other kid died doing it... go figure.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I rode Mission Space a couple weeks ago, choosing the "Green Team" line. No spinning. I loved it! I actually laughed out loud. There were plenty of thrills to be had without the spinning.

I wouldn't have dared to go on the "Red Team" side, due to health issues. I'm glad they've made this available.

Oh, by the way, there were still barf bags in the pockets in front of the seats. I held one in my lap... just in case.

Not so Mournful at Epcot.

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 96 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney Debuts Tamer 'Mission: Space' Thrill Ride

Walt Disney World has debuted a new, tamer version of the attraction thrill ride "Mission: Space" at its Epcot theme park in Florida.

http://www.local6.com/news/9243351/detail.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

See, what I don't get about that family is why they say "they shouldn't have allowed a boy so small onto the ride." Well, he was tall enough, YOU brought him onto the ride, what's Disney to do?

--------------------

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a waffle queen:
See, what I don't get about that family is why they say "they shouldn't have allowed a boy so small onto the ride." Well, he was tall enough, YOU brought him onto the ride, what's Disney to do?

I don't know the details of the situation but the height requirements are made by the parks for a reason: The parks are the ones who should be aware of the engineering of the ride, not the visitors. Therefore, if he was "tall enough" (in other words he met the height requirements) and was injured or killed because he was too small, then it may well be that the height requirements are set too low. In any case, the parents have to trust the parks' height requirements. There's no way for parents to know all of the engineering aspects of the ride. So if you're saying it's the parents fault when the child is too small, I would only agree in the case that they ignored the posted regulations.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, but what does the kid being too small have to do with the price of tea in China? He had a heart attack because of a previously undiagnosed condition, according to the article. How would his being bigger, or even older, have helped?

I know, maybe Disney should have to have a physician at the head of every line. They should have stress tests done on all riders regardless of age or apparent health, and not let any who do not pass on the ride.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, as promised, I went on Mission: Space today. And counted how many warnings there were. In 12 minutes, there were three written warnings and four verbal warnings.

Here's a photo album of the warnings that are listed before you get in line. These warnings are also posted AFTER you get in line (the same exact signs) and on the orange (more extreme) ticket.

No, there aren't enough warnings [Roll Eyes]

ETA x2: here's the link.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages