snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Another death at Epcot's Mission: Space (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another death at Epcot's Mission: Space
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 201 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
49-year-old woman dies after riding Epcot's "Mission: Space"

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - A 49-year-old woman died Wednesday, a day after becoming ill after riding "Mission: Space" at Walt Disney World - the second death in less than a year related to the Epcot ride so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.

Ali "the happiest place on earth" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It also said she may have suffered from health problems unrelated to the ride that contributed to her death, such as high blood pressure. If you've got a problem like that, don't go on rides like this.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bored and Dangerous:
It also said she may have suffered from health problems unrelated to the ride that contributed to her death, such as high blood pressure. If you've got a problem like that, don't go on rides like this.

Although this is more than likely true. The quote from the article states Disney said that.

quote:
Disney told state officials she may have suffered from high blood pressure and other unspecified health problems.
At this point, I wouldn't take Disneys' word for it.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't let my kid see this article. He's terrified they are going to close down that ride and while I want to take him to Orlando this year I wanted to do the Universal stuff (they have big discounts this year). My kid's only 7 but he already knows that attractions can easily be closed down even if its not always the rides fault. Like I've said, the boy's only seven but he's already witnessed increased restrictions and closures due to "saftey" issues.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hope they don't close it down. My daughter went on it a couple of years ago when she was six and loved it (she is a space enthusiast). We are also going to Universal this summer (they really do have some great bargains) and we each have a day left on our Disney parkhoppers so I was hoping to spend one day at Epcot and Magic Kingdom and I know my daughter will want to do Mission Space again (and probably my son now that he should be tall enough). I think I won't say anything about it either way just in case it's closed.

I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a family member on some amusement park ride, but I think it's important to keep things in perspective and realize that we all face dangers every day. Heart attacks happen all the time, but they aren't publicized unless it's an unusual case like this one.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still never riding Mission Space...two people have already died on it...that scares me enough not to want to try it, even though I am in good health and probably wouldn't die...but once two people have died on a ride I cross it off my list.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MrDabble
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrDabble   E-mail MrDabble   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:
I'm still never riding Mission Space...two people have already died on it...that scares me enough not to want to try it, even though I am in good health and probably wouldn't die...but once two people have died on a ride I cross it off my list.

~Monica

Wow. I understand your fear but seems a little overdone. People die everyday from things out of their control.
Posts: 30 | From: Thornton, CO | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 05 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

~Monica

Does it make it hard for you, not riding in cars, or stepping into the kitchen or bathroom?

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wintermute
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
two people have died because of the excitement of the ride? Thats makes me want to ride it even more!
Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*sighs* Disney guru speaks again...

As reported in the article, the boy died from an undiagnosed condition (enlarged heart).

The woman likely had a health condition. The number of warnings that Walt Disney World has posted would be warning enough. IIRC, there are four posted signs (maybe 5) and then the warnings are repeated over the sound system while you're in the line (when I was in there over the summer, for a 30-minute wait indoors, I heard the warning 6 times). Even on the Mission: Space page they post the warnings.

quote:
May cause motion sickness. Please see Cast Member at the attraction for further cautionary information.

For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.

So uh...whose fault is this? Certainly shouldn't be Disney's, if she has high blood pressure.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
quote:

~Monica

Does it make it hard for you, not riding in cars, or stepping into the kitchen or bathroom?
I can see both sides of that arguement. Last year when my parents took my boy on vacation (Stone Mountain, Six Flags and stuff) I told them not to let him ride "Mindbender" (I actually didn't think he'd make the height requirements but evidently he did and he rode it). I thought it was a poorly designed ride. People have died on it in the past but I don't blame the ride for that... many more have lived through the experience. My objection was he was little and it was a looping coaster with only lap restraints (no shoulder harnesses), the loops always felt uncomfortably tight to me, and the reason they let him ride the coaster was that he was disappointed that the park told him he was to SMALL to ride the swings. Idiots all of them. Perhaps I don't have a point other than people are fickled.

BTW thanks for reminding me I still have some Park Hopper Days left as well. I might have to stop by Disney. Magic Kingdom is the must see but Epcot rates a close second, I'll see what I can do. Didn't someone on here actually sugest my e-tickets (I still have a bunch of old half used ticket books, advertised as being good any time any year) might actually be usable?

--------------------

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Chimera, your e-tickets are still valid. Until recently, all tickets that still had days left on them are still valid.

Although, e-tickets can go for a LOT on eBay for collectors... [Wink]

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She was taken to Celebration Hospital, where she died Wednesday.
Anyone else think it wasn't necessarily the ride that killed her? (well, the ride didn't technically kill her....I'm trying to make a joke damnit!)

[fish]

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This may sound harsh, but am I the only one who got annoyed with the news constantly mentioning the 4 year old boy? It was like, “this woman dies, and that is sad, but a BABY died, at least a year ago, and that is sadder.”
I just found it, umm, unnecessary. When I was there in Jan of 2005, I waited in line 30 minutes, got off and ran back into line. How many thousands of people ride that ride every day? I get that it is Disney, and a death a Disney ends up being news. But something about how I saw this story delivered 4 times today, it just ended up feeling like “are you afraid yet?”
Ok, stepping off rant stool now.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Zabia- it's the fact that a young child died that makes them keep repeating it. Do they keep repeating that he died from an undiagnosed heart condition? (Coincidentally, the teenage girl that died at Typhoon Lagoon last summer also died from an undiagnosed heart condition)

--------------------

momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really dont think that Disney (or any amusement park for that matter) is at fault. They clearly state that you should not go on the ride if you have certain medical conditions. What more do they have to do? Have a doctor go down the line and take blood pressure tests and require all patrons to have a signed medical release form?? The ride didnt kill her she killed herself by going on the ride.

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Yes, momto4+, they should do just that. Have everyone sign a release form. They can do that, along with the biometric finger scans! [fish]

--------------------

WTF waffles

--------------------

Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a moose:
Zabia- it's the fact that a young child died that makes them keep repeating it. Do they keep repeating that he died from an undiagnosed heart condition? (Coincidentally, the teenage girl that died at Typhoon Lagoon last summer also died from an undiagnosed heart condition)

They do mention the undiagnosed heart condition. I get that it was a young kid. But I just kept getting the "oh, big killer ride at Epcot" feel to the whole thing. I totally agree with momto4.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder, what are the chances of a person dying, completely by chance, when they are on a ride?

Very rough calculation...

[*]Average life span is 70 year.
    [*]Assume chance of death is constant throughout life (not true, but were just estimating here!).
    [*]Ride is 2 minutes long.
Chances of dying in any 2 minute period is 70*365*24*60/2 which is about 1:18 million

[*]Figure 30 people/ride cycle.
    [*]One ride cycle every 2 minutes.
    [*]Park is open 12 hours/day, 365 days/year.
Total passengers in a ten year period = 30/2*60*12*365*10 = 39 million riders.

Expected number of random deaths in 10 years = 2
YMMV

edit: million is not the same as billion (but the result is the same)

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Jimmy, check your PM...

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
N.H. Man Recalls Scary Disney Ride

A New Hampshire couple is speaking openly about their terrifying experience with a DisneyWorld thrill ride that has garnered national attention following a German woman's death after riding it.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/8690620/detail.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Note that the article fails to mention anything about Disney also warning about high blood pressure. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DW got a little sick after riding Mission: Space. She got scared by the graphics, so she stopped looking at the screen, which gave her a case of motion sickness. She didn't puke, but she was close. I beleive she described the feeling as similar to the feeling due to reading in a moving car. I guess it's important to look at the screen

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently I think they changed the ride instructions to let riders know how important it was that they keep their eyes on the screen. I rose it during the final testing/soft opening stages and I think that was one of the changes made before the "official" opening.

I know that the first time I rode it, I was so busy watching the screen that I had no problems, but on the second ride I was scanning the rest of the ride interior admiring the details and my head started to feel a bit weird. "Reading in a car" sums it up pretty well. Once I looked back at the screen, I was fine again.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Autoposy shows Disney ride did not cause woman's death

quote:
A German woman who became ill this week after riding ``Mission: Space'' at Walt Disney World died from bleeding of the brain, the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner's Office said Friday.

Hiltrud Bleumel, 49, also had severe, long standing high blood pressure, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia said in a statement.

There was no evidence of trauma, she said.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Well people gotta die somewhere. I think some would be amazed at how many die in hotel rooms. When I was working for one we had a woman die. Against my first instinct I just called 911 instead of poking the body with a stick. I don't really know what I expected them to do with an obviously dead individual though. The medics came and took her away and the police took down are names and asked a few questions but that was the end of it. She was staying there because she had health problems that were being treated at a hospital across the street, guess that didn't work out very well. Its unpleasant to think about but these things can happen anywhere. And, as was mentioned, just the number of people visiting major amusement parks alone will increase the chances of something happening there. If you combine that with the increased, but IMHO realistic, physical stress I'm more surprised more people aren't dropping dead. Heck when I worked for Pepsi they made us play at the park. It was Tanglewood (a fairly large place) and a female employee in my group died trying to walk from the parking lot. Any time I mention they work their employees to death I don't mean figuartively. Although in that case I do think someone should've been in a little trouble since it was a required activity and also because I was sick of their little group games. But the opposite of that would be when I worked at the bank and they didn't make people in poor health evacuate for fire drills. That makes since... until there's a fire.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
DW got a little sick after riding Mission: Space. She got scared by the graphics, so she stopped looking at the screen, which gave her a case of motion sickness. She didn't puke, but she was close. I beleive she described the feeling as similar to the feeling due to reading in a moving car. I guess it's important to look at the screen

They specifically tell you to keep looking at the screen. They always have, because they knew the reaction the human body would have if you didn't (contrary to what Astra said).

--------------------

Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:

They specifically tell you to keep looking at the screen. They always have, because they knew the reaction the human body would have if you didn't (contrary to what Astra said).
Yes I know, and that's why I was looking at the screen intently. The initial launch sequence scared her enough to make her forget that she is suppossed to look at the screen. I knew something was wrong when she stopped pressing the buttons. I looked over her side and saw that she was looking down instead of straight ahead. I kept nudging her to look straight ahead, but she kept saying no. I knew she was going to get dizzy, but I thought that since she was responding to me, she must be mostly ok. Still, I was looking for some button or something that would alert the operators, in case something happens, but I didn't find any. I knew there are cameras in the ride, but I didn't know where the cameras were located. Luckily the ride is short enough that she didn't suffer any permenant damage

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What kind of permanent damage could she have suffered? I have looked for any sort of permanent damage that could be caused by motion sickness, and have found no references. Also, I suffer from motion sickness, and none of my doctors ever mentioned that it could do any harm.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Who knows...contracoux concussion, maybe? Or maybe the force of the gravity and the harness pressed against her chest so much, she had a heart attack?

*guffaws*

--------------------

pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, momto4+, they should do just that. Have everyone sign a release form. They can do that, along with the biometric finger scans! [fish]

And maybe they could take blood, too, when you stick your fingers in the machine for the scan . . . they could test you for all kinds of stuff and print out a list of rides you can go on. "We're sorry, ma'am, but your bloodwork shows you have an extreme susceptibility to bad puns, so we can't let you on the Jungle Cruise today. Oh, and congratulations, you're pregnant." [Big Grin]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
quote:

And maybe they could take blood, too, when you stick your fingers in the machine for the scan . . . they could test you for all kinds of stuff and print out a list of rides you can go on. "We're sorry, ma'am, but your bloodwork shows you have an extreme susceptibility to bad puns, so we can't let you on the Jungle Cruise today. Oh, and congratulations, you're pregnant." [Big Grin]
...because that would be so sanitary and confidential.

Off-topic: Those scanners are biometrics. They calculate the approximate measurements of a person's finger and tag the ticket to those measurements. Unless they have an identical twin (or a "hand twin", if you've seen Friends), no one can steal the ticket. People also have the option of not using the reader, and instead showing federal photo identification and doing a signature (to compare signatures for tickets). The reason federal ID is acceptable is because most of the time, it's the Americans that gripe about it.

--------------------

ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
people die because they ignore the rules meant to keep them alive. They do it everywhere. Leave the Mouse House alone. Disney shouldn't have to make idiot-proof technology

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
quote:

~Monica

[lol]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages