snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » "A Whole New World" about gays?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "A Whole New World" about gays?
cannedgravy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for cannedgravy   E-mail cannedgravy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told that disney's Aladdin has alot of ties to gays especially the Song, "A whole new world" that's sung by Aladdin and Jasmine. The legend is that the entire song has relevence to gays. examples: "a whole new world" "a new fantastic point of view" "no one to tell us no, or where to go." "Over side ways, and under" I like to say coincodence because that is just is what Aladdin is thinking because he has a princess that has never really experienced the outside world before. So you tell me. Which type of love is this song really about?
Posts: 2 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, wasn't it Freud who said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?" [Confused]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sullen Moon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sullen Moon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sullen Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that one took alot of thought to get innuendo out of it...

--------------------
***sig line edited for content***

Posts: 249 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peccavimus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peccavimus   E-mail Peccavimus       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's clearly about gay sex. We introduced it into the children's movie as part of the gay agenda. I mean, what child, hearing that song, wouldn't immediately become homosexual? We are devious, clever, and everywhere present. Fear our homosexual subliminal powers. Our subliminal homosexual powers? Whatever.
Posts: 113 | From: DeKalb, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the things you mentioned are extremely generic. "A new fantastic point of view"? That could refer to anything at all controversial, including star crossed heterosexual kids like in the movie. The fact that you went straight to homosexuality is just a Rosrchach blot of where your head is at.

The only remotely sexual thing you quoted would be "over, sideways, and under". But if you think thats gay you must not be familiar with anything but the missionary position.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a lot of times, people ascribe innuendo to things that were never intended to have it. In the case of "A Whole New World," the lyrics are directly on point to what Aladdin and Jasmine were feeling then. A peasant boy doesn't marry a princess, and a princess doesn't go gallivanting off alone with a peasant. That's why they'd be told "no." The new fantastic point of view is another way of looking at their "whole new world."

I don't blame you for dusting off your tinfoil hat, though. That Lake Erie water can do strange things to people's heads!

Welcome to the board, neighbor.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww shit! We've been found out about...

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they are confusing Aladdin and Jasmine with Akbar and Jeff.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The legend is that the entire song has relevence to gays.
Or it just might be that the song incorporates basic concepts that are relevant to everyone, gay or otherwise.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the part in the movie where Aladdin says "Gay teenagers, take off your clothes?"

Snopes item

Oh, wait...sorry [fish]

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auburn Red
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auburn Red   E-mail Auburn Red   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you kidding me with this? He is singing to Princess Jasmine and they are on a flying carpet. When they reach the "over sideways and under" the carpet is doing aerial tricks. That is what it is in reference to and he is showing the mostly sheltered Jasmine a world outside the palace walls without rules and regulations.
Auburn Red "Way too Much into this"

Posts: 62 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you rearrange the letters in Aladdin, you get "add in Al" - a clear reference to a homosexual menage-a-trois. And I won't even spell out what happens when you rearrange Princess Jasmine. Let me just say that there's a dubious claim about certain fluids curing mental illness in royals. Wait till the USDA finds out.

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Admittedly, I'm probably a bit more open-minded about these "hidden messages" than most other snopesters. This one, however, is ridiculous even by my standards.

BTW, welcome to the board!

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 207 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here all my buddies made a "magic carpet ride" out to be about cunilingus. I'm sure for many girls it can be a "whole new world" gay or not [Razz]

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was "good teenagers take off your clothes."

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to admit that I always thought that song was about sex. I mean, c'mon - it's not that big of a stretch.

But specifically gay sex? Not even my perverted-always-in-the-gutter-mind took it that far. I'm with Errata - (generic)you must not get out much if anything that might hint at a position other than missionary automatically means "gay".

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rexodus:
If you rearrange the letters in Aladdin, you get "add in Al" - a clear reference to a homosexual menage-a-trois. And I won't even spell out what happens when you rearrange Princess Jasmine. Let me just say that there's a dubious claim about certain fluids curing mental illness in royals. Wait till the USDA finds out.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cannedgravy:
So you tell me. Which type of love is this song really about?

The young kind.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:

No, but that's a topic for another thread.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Kangaroo   E-mail Green Kangaroo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:

No, but that's a topic for another thread.
Freud definitely said that (although, he did say it late into his career). Here's one source -- There are many others out there.

--------------------
I don't know if I'd survive without a friend like you in my life. Brett Dennen

Posts: 637 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Freud really say "a long hard object," referring to a cigar but not actually saying "cigar"?
And yes, I know I'm nitpicking again. [Wink]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Green Kangaroo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Kangaroo   E-mail Green Kangaroo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave. Dry. Crisp. Witty.:
Didn't Freud really say "a long hard object," referring to a cigar but not actually saying "cigar"?
And yes, I know I'm nitpicking again. [Wink]

No, I pretty sure he said cigar.

Unless there's some joke I am missing...

--------------------
I don't know if I'd survive without a friend like you in my life. Brett Dennen

Posts: 637 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
I think they are confusing Aladdin and Jasmine with Akbar and Jeff.

Nick

That made me laugh a lot harder than it should have.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're all wrong - the lyrics to A Whole New World is about drugs! [Razz]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wanted to point out that the topic of the thread should be changed to reference "teh gays" or it might cause confusion...

[fish]

Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oy vey iz mir
Deck the Malls

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Oy vey iz mir   E-mail Oy vey iz mir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Says:
I just wanted to point out that the topic of the thread should be changed to reference "teh gays" or it might cause confusion...

[fish]

If you really want to get technical, maybe it should be changed to "OMG SONG CATCH YOU TEH GHEYS!!!1111il" or something.
Posts: 351 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by cannedgravy:
So you tell me. Which type of love is this song really about?

The young kind.
No, that would be My Sharona. [fish]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I'm having flashbacks of Gerard Depardieu singing Thank Heaven For little Girls in My Father, The Hero...

Trish "Because people think he's a pedophile when he's singing it" daDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with TrishDaDish...It's totally about drugs!

[Smile]

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 302 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I thought it was just about...

...the worst song in the movie. [Roll Eyes]

OMG pob14!!!1111 you are telling me that My Sharona is about sex of the "young kind?"

I feel betrayed by The Knack!!

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DougW
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Now I'm having flashbacks of Gerard Depardieu singing Thank Heaven For little Girls in My Father, The Hero...

Trish "Because people think he's a pedophile when he's singing it" daDish

Yeah. I think that.
Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fictional lie:
Personally, I thought it was just about...

...the worst song in the movie. [Roll Eyes]

OMG pob14!!!1111 you are telling me that My Sharona is about sex of the "young kind?"

I feel betrayed by The Knack!!

Blasphemy! The best love song anywhere ever. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages