snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Size a growing concern for Disney costumers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Size a growing concern for Disney costumers
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As Disneyland celebrates its 50th birthday, the park is grappling with a harsh reality of middle age: Mickey Mouse's entourage has put on a few pounds.

To accommodate the ballooning bodies of American workers, the Magic Kingdom is redesigning some of its costumes for ride operators, shop clerks, waitresses and other employees.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/living/fashion/14246129.htm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this thread was going to be about the rides being unable to accomodate overweight passengers.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
I thought this thread was going to be about the rides being unable to accomodate overweight passengers.

Honestly so did I.

Although I can't wait to see a fat Goofy (or for one that's only 4 and a half feet tall... provided the Donald role is already filled). Unless the characters are off limits to the changes. Now I want to dye my hair green, put in my lavender purple contact lenses and move to Orlando to look for a job. Let's see how far they will go with this. Ok, they'd probably still hire me or someone like me. I've gone on job interviews (in my college days) in a skirt with legs unshaven and have got the job. I actually got a front desk hotel job wearing the odd coloured contacts. It looks to me like the job market is desprate. Its good that discrimination seems to be becoming a thing of the past... but I don't know if its so great that places have to hire (intentionally) unnatural looking individuals that look like they are from another planet. And the really sad thing is my contacts are and have always been non-corrective/cosmetic.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ready for the reality check?

quote:
Quote: The Disney Look does not permit extremes in dyeing, bleaching or coloring. If the hair color is changed, it must be natural looking, well maintained and appropriate to your skin tone. Subtle highlighting or frosting is permitted as long as it creates a uniform look over the whole head and meets all of the previously listed guidelines
Yes, characters are off-limits to the changes. If the "friend" is getting a little too large around the middle for the character, then they will be disapproved.

Take
quote:
Today, the uniforms for women extend from size 2 to 30
with a grain of salt. When I picked up a shift in Epcot, I had to pull a size 8x28 (I'm usually a size 2). At my regular work location, I had to try on 4 pairs before I got one that fit me- at 12x28!

The Cast Member .02

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Their dress code is stricter than most schools I've seen. [Eek!]

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's worse than that, AW. Want me to message you some more of the specifics?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WizyWyg
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WizyWyg   E-mail WizyWyg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, when I worked at Disney, it was pretty strict (even concerning tattoos).

The character perfromers (those who play dwarves, mickey, goofy) are only approved if they match and can fit in the character suits. For minnie, they wont accept anyone over 4'10' tall. Mickey, you can't be over 5' (i missed this by 1 inch!!!!). so i got chip and dale, and others.

Donald was the most strcit. My friend who was donald, was only 4'8"

though I still had fun.

Posts: 160 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Wizywyg- Were you in WORLD or LAND? Because they've changed policies. I'll PM you.

--------------------

Alex Buchet
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry if this sounds obnoxious-- but the FIRST thing that strikes European visitors to the States is the huge number of obese people.
Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Double Latte
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Double Latte   E-mail Double Latte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AB, that does not surprise me. Just going from Southern California to visit family in Minnesota, Missouri and Texas caused me the same reaction.

I visited France, and my sister spent over a year there. We both came to the same conclusion: The reason people are fatter here in the US is because our cities are not laid out with walking in mind. Most of our cities are not laid out with using public transportation in mind. So we drive *everywhere*, whereas people in other parts of the world walk or at least walk to the bus or train stations to get around town.

In France, I saw little shops and bakeries on almost every corner, convenient to most peoples' homes. My sister and I enjoyed starting off our day with a walk to the bakery to get fresh bread. I also learned that the buses ran so frequently that no one bothered with schedules, because if you missed the one you wanted, another would be along in few minutes.

In the US, cities usually concentrate all the shops in a retail zone, so most of our houses are a mile or more from the supermarket, and there are no shops in between. People who must use buses study the schedules, because the intervals are often an hour or more. Anyone who can afford *any* car will get one ASAP because of the huge inconvenience not having one poses.

The typical American spends about two hours per day commuting to work, and most drive alone in his/her own car. By the time they pick up the kids from daycare and get dinner/homework/kids' activities and bathing finished, it is time to go to bed and rest up to do it all again tomorrow. It takes real determination to find time to work out.

Because exercise is not a natural part of one's daily life, most Americans are too sedentary, and sedentary people get fat. Sad.

--------------------
"Senility Prayer"
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference.

Posts: 1755 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arthurdawg
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthurdawg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Buchet:
I'm sorry if this sounds obnoxious-- but the FIRST thing that strikes European visitors to the States is the huge number of obese people.

Yup. I worry about picking up 20 lbs (disclosure! i'm about 185, & could stand to lose 10-15 lbs) since college during my residency, but it really astonishes me how many people i see when running out to the local stores that clearly weigh in the 200-350 lb range. Its the lack of walking (fatal in most US areas due to the lack of sidewalks) and the overwhelming portions of food that people eat here. I've seen folks who are too big to even fit in the biggest CT scanner we have (holds up to 450 lbs) and are dying from the weight.

--------------------
"It's Okay. Gary sent us."

Posts: 28 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Arthurdawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Buchet:

Yup. I worry about picking up 20 lbs (disclosure! i'm about 185, & could stand to lose 10-15 lbs) since college during my residency, but it really astonishes me how many people i see when running out to the local stores that clearly weigh in the 200-350 lb range. Its the lack of walking (fatal in most US areas due to the lack of sidewalks) and the overwhelming portions of food that people eat here. I've seen folks who are too big to even fit in the biggest CT scanner we have (holds up to 450 lbs) and are dying from the weight.
my mom had a lawsuit that involved emotional distress and such because a guy was so overweight, he couldn't go through one of the hospital scanners- they had to send him to an equine hospital in the middle of VA to use their scanner.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages