snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Zulu family sues Disney over "Lion Sleeps Tonight"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zulu family sues Disney over "Lion Sleeps Tonight"
Zapruder, On the Trail of Asparagus
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 303 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Zulu Family Sues Disney Over "Lion" Song

JOHANNESBURG, July 2 (AFP) - A poor South African family is taking US entertainment giant Disney to court for unpaid royalties from the hit song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", originally a Zulu tune composed by their late father, lawyers said on Friday.

[ 11. March 2006, 06:59 AM:   snopes ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like the family deserve some of those royalties:
quote:
This one's for Solomon Linda, then, a Zulu who wrote a melody that earned untold millions for white men but died so poor that his widow couldn't afford a stone for his grave.
Where Does The Lion Sleep Tonight?

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amateur Sleuth

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So why didn't they sue the Tokens for their recording of the song?
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because Disney has much more money.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you read all the article in the URL I posted, it explains why the family didn't sue before.
Basically, Solomon Linda didn't have a contract, he didn't copyright the song (his recording company did that as soon as it got popular) and the royalties went to a variety of recording companies, music publishers and musicians/singers/arrangers who had adapted the piece for individual recordings; most of the latter genuinely thought it was an traditional African folk song that was out of copyright.
A tiny, irregular trickle of money found its way back to the Linda family over the years, but it only amounted to a couple of thousand dollars in total - certainly not enough to pay lawyers to fight through the rat's nest of recording and publishing rights that emmeshed the song almost from its first incarnation as a hit.

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Based on what little information is available, it sounds to me like the plaintiffs don't really have a case against Disney.

Disney is (I would assume) paying royalties to the current rightsholder of the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." If the plaintiffs believe that they have a better claim to the copyright for "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" than the current rightsholder (because it was based on an earlier work by a family member), then their remedy is to sue the current rightsholder. I don't see that they have a basis for suing Disney if Disney has been paying royalties to the duly recognized copyright owner.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moosedog

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Based on what little information is available, it sounds to me like the plaintiffs don't really have a case against Disney.

Disney is (I would assume) paying royalties to the current rightsholder of the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." If the plaintiffs believe that they have a better claim to the copyright for "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" than the current rightsholder (because it was based on an earlier work by a family member), then their remedy is to sue the current rightsholder. I don't see that they have a basis for suing Disney if Disney has been paying royalties to the duly recognized copyright owner.

- snopes

This would be the case under US law, but they are suing in South Africa; South African law my be different.
Suburban Legend

It says in the article that Disney was chosen for the lawsuit because they are the "most active user" of the song. I'm guessing, though, that another reason could be that suing such a large and well-known company would bring more attention to their cause.

[ 11. March 2006, 07:01 AM:   snopes ]

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This would be the case under US law, but they are suing in South Africa; South African law my be different.
That's true, but if they sue in a South African court and win, they don't really have jurisdiction to enforce the judgement and collect any damages awarded to them. As the article notes, about the best they could do is to un-register Disney's trademarks in South Africa and re-sell them.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
South African family settles 'Lion Sleeps Tonight' lawsuit

The family of South African composer Solomon Linda has reached a settlement in the lawsuit over his world-famous song The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/02/17/linda-lion-lawsuit.html

Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, the thing you guys are talking about, saying that Disney has more money, hence the reason the Linda family is suing them, is called deep pockets.

Yay law field parents (my mom was a paralegal before a substitute elementary school teacher)

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex Buchet
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete Seeger once asserted that there's a political subtext to the song.

The lion would be King Chaka, and the song would be stating that great Chaka sleeps, but will one day awaken-- symbolising the awakening of the Zulu Nation.

I kind of like that interpretation, especially as it resonates with other 'sleeping heroes' in legend, such as King Arthur or Frederick Barbarossa.

Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would say that the correct thing to do is to sue both of them, Disney for failing to pay royalties to the real copyright holder and the fake copyright holder for falsely pretending to be the real.

I doubt they can win, but it's worth a try.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They won.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/20060322-1550-safrica-sleepinglions.html

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hm. That last line is interesting...

quote:
That appears to have been a turning point, though Disney never was sued in the court case

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
According to family lore, he wrote the song in a matter of minutes and was inspired by his childhood tasks of chasing prowling lions from the cattle he herded.
I'll may use this the next time DD complains about having to take the garbage out.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dareyawes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dareyawes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
...if they sue in a South African court and win, they don't really have jurisdiction to enforce the judgement and collect any damages awarded to them. As the article notes, about the best they could do is to un-register Disney's trademarks in South Africa and re-sell them.

- snopes

[silliness]
OOH OOH!! UNLESS Disney opens up a spanking new wonderful fantabulous Disney Thirdworld in South Africa!!!

But why would they do that if there's a settlement hanging over their heads.

Hmmm... It looks like this woman is on the verge of screwing her country out of a chance to host the Happiest Most Magical Place on Earth (Squee!). That earns her a seat in the Hot Place when she dies.
[/silliness]

Posts: 152 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages