snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Uranium at Walt Disney World

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uranium at Walt Disney World
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was told by someone working at a national lab
that Disneyworld in Florida was the only place in the US where 4% enriched
uranium is allowed on private land. Is that true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll look into that for you, but I strongly doubt that's true.
Actually, if someone can help me find a comprehensive list of what 4% enriched uranium can be used for, I might be able to tell you if Walt Disney World has the facilities for it.

ETA: I haven't found a direct list of its uses, but one of the most common is to make nuclear weapons. If Disney was making nuclear weapons, I think I'd be glowing...

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quttaus
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quttaus   E-mail Quttaus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this is what your looking for, or if you've already seen it....

But 4% enriched uranium seems to be used mostly for fuel in nuclear power reactors (see under low enriched uranium). It can't be used in the making of nuclear weapons, which would require a much higher level of enrichment. (note under "How DUF6 is Made")

So what the heck would you folks be doing with a nuclear reactor down there, hmmm? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey! Let go of me before something horrible happens to me! OR ELSE!"
--Invader Zim

Posts: 92 | From: Southern NJ | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Considering how much electricity Disney World uses, it might be cheaper to have their own reactor.

Besides, I believe there are privately-owned research reactors on private land that would use enriched uranium.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, Disney has their own small power plant on property (the majority of Walt Disney World is backstage and difficult to see.) They also have gas generators, lest the power somehow not work.

On Christmas day last year, the Magic Kingdom didn't have enough gas in their generators, and nearly ALL of the Magic Kingdom had no power- cast members that were in the utilidors stayed put, because even the utilidors had NO power.

So yeah...uranium? In Disney World? I doubt it.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CR816
Newsqueak

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CR816   E-mail CR816   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't say whether Disney has any Uranium at any of their sites, but I would think that all commercial nuclear power plants in the US are on private land. So IF they do have Uranium there, it isn't the only private land with enriched Uranium. They along with a LOT of other places probably do have other radioactive isotopes on their sites though. Americium is used in a lot of exit lights for example.

--------------------
If the minimum wasn't good enough, they wouldn't establish a minimum.

Posts: 19 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is an artificial sweetner:
Actually, Disney has their own small power plant on property (the majority of Walt Disney World is backstage and difficult to see.)

Like any good magician. The audience, or in this case guests, only see what they need to. I approve.

Sorry for the hijack.

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages