snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney sued by Hell's Angels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney sued by Hell's Angels
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately I have no cite in English for this, but apparently Hell's Angels have sued Disney for copyright infringement in connection with a, not yet released, film called Wild Hogs. Might be interesting to see the outcome of this.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a link in English. [Smile]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, I was looking for that one as it was mentioned in the article I had read, but there was something strange with the links at the CNN site.

--------------------

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome.

I don't understand why the Hell's Angels© should care about this. Maybe it depends on how they are represented in the film. Look at all the publicity for them, too. It's probably because they think they can get a lot of $$. Seems like a possible solution would be to change the name of the group in the movie to "Heck's Angels" or maybe "Heaven's Devils." [Razz]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't really matter how they think they're portrayed in the movie: If they own the coyright, and it looks as though they do, they have every right to demand that Disney either pay up for licensing or refrain from including the material in their movie.

Maybe it is only for money, but again, it doesn't matter. Disney of all groups should know this. They've always been jealously protective of their intellectual property; just ask any day care center that's been hounded by Disney lawyers for painting Mickey Mouse on their walls.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen, Wonko. Perhaps the Hells Angels should change the horns on their skull logo to mouse ears. That'd thaw old Walt in a hurry!

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we're all in agreement here. [Smile] That's why I suggested that the name of the motorcycle group in the movie be changed. I didn't say they didn't have the right. I said I didn't understand why they cared. The idea about the free publicity was just thrown in as an alternative to suing for money or as a reason maybe they wouldn't care, but on second thought, I suppose the Hell's Angels™ wouldn't be as attention-greedy as are some people or groups.

Day-care centers get in trouble for images on walls? [Frown] How sad.

Notice my use of the ™ symbol. I'm not taking any chances! [lol]

Edited to change © to ™ in the above. Thanks, Trish.

--------------------

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or should it be Hell's Angels™?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Or should it be Hell's Angels™?

By Jove, methinks you're right! The OP mentioned "copyright infringement," but the actual article said "infringing on trademark."

--------------------

Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nitpick: it should be Hells Angels™. No apostrophe.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
Nitpick: it should be Hells Angels™. No apostrophe.

According to their website, you are correct. That doesn't make sense to me. Not that you are correct [Razz] , that it's "Hells" and not "Hell's." Apparently a lot of people who do not belong to the group are mistaken about the name. I wonder how many hells they think there are. [Roll Eyes] I suspect that whoever made up the name knew not what he did.

So, how ya' doin'?

--------------------

blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's my understanding that to mantain a Trademark you have to go after each infringement as you become aware of it or you can lose grounds in bigger more important cases. So if Hells Angels™ were to let something like this go by without a claim then they'd be without grounds if another movie came out and used their trademark without permission and so on.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are nine Hells, like there is more than one Heaven. (Dante, anyone?) However, I do wonder if the Hells Angels don't only care because it is Disney. I am sure I have seen many other movies in which the biker's gang is the Angels, probably because they are the most identifiable.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Yeah, I guess it would depend on what you believe, Dante or not. I don't actually believe in hell. Still it seems like it should be Hells' Angels™ if they are indicating more than one hell. Not that important, I realize, it's just a minor puzzle to me.

--------------------

Alex Buchet
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe "Hell's Angels", with apostrophe, can't be trademarked by the MC because of the early thirties Howard Hughes fighter-pilot flick.

Hells Angels also sued Marvel Comics over a proposed comic titled "Hell's Angel'. Marvel changed the name to 'Dark Angel'.

Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex Buchet
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Buchet   E-mail Alex Buchet       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...and I've just learnt that they also sued Roger Corman's Concorde-New Horizon films for misappropriating the HA logo in an eighties movie.

I thought the Angels' solution to a problem was to stomp teeth. Apparently they find, in their old age, that litigation is far more fearsome...

Posts: 202 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, if I ever found myself infringing on the Hell's copyright, lawsuits would be the LAST of my worries...

Eti"Hey, honey, why don't you go start the car, I'll be right out..."enne

Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
I think there are nine Hells, like there is more than one Heaven.

Nope. One hell, nine levels.

Map - Courtesy of the Hell Tourism Board.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CritterSitterGrl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CritterSitterGrl   E-mail CritterSitterGrl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my opinion, they should be happy that Disney put them in a movie. Disney movies are for families, so it won't give the Hells Angels the typical bad rep that they always get. (I mean, look at some of their past ordeals with the law and stuff...) This is like free, good PR! Why complain?

-Amanda

--------------------
Save a horse, ride a cowboy!

Posts: 2 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CritterSitterGrl:
In my opinion, they should be happy that Disney put them in a movie. Disney movies are for families, so it won't give the Hells Angels the typical bad rep that they always get. (I mean, look at some of their past ordeals with the law and stuff...) This is like free, good PR! Why complain?

-Amanda

From the description of the movie, it sounds like HA will be portrayed as a rival gang. Perhaps they don't want Disney giving them any of their good PR.

-L

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Eiru

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Eiru   E-mail Lady Eiru   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Merry Meet All, As a former biker (in my past life), I have to sgree with the H.A's. We have no Idea how Disney has portrayed them & also if Disney decided to make a film on my Biography I would surely be upset to put it lightly, as would many of you I am sure! Not to condone all of the past criminal behaviors of the H. A.'s because I DO NOT, but that was then & this is now for many years the H. A.'s have been an asset to the community. The H. A.'s now participate in positive ventures ie: fundraising for children, toy rides to name a couple. The H.A.'s have gainful employment & loving families and a heart. The old sigma really needs to be let go. Of course their are good & bad, But isn't that true with all walks of life! The Hells Angels are simply a motorcycle Club as many others. Please do not take this post the wrong way, it is not angry, just informative SMILE. Have a magickal Day.
Blessed Be,
Lady Eiru

--------------------
Lady Eiru

Posts: 1 | From: Arlington, Massachusetts | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Eiru:
Merry Meet All, As a former biker (in my past life), I have to sgree with the H.A's. We have no Idea how Disney has portrayed them & also if Disney decided to make a film on my Biography I would surely be upset to put it lightly, as would many of you I am sure! Not to condone all of the past criminal behaviors of the H. A.'s because I DO NOT, but that was then & this is now for many years the H. A.'s have been an asset to the community. The H. A.'s now participate in positive ventures ie: fundraising for children, toy rides to name a couple. The H.A.'s have gainful employment & loving families and a heart. The old sigma really needs to be let go. Of course their are good & bad, But isn't that true with all walks of life! The Hells Angels are simply a motorcycle Club as many others. Please do not take this post the wrong way, it is not angry, just informative SMILE. Have a magickal Day.
Blessed Be,
Lady Eiru

Not all people concider extorsion, drug dealing and murder as assets to society, you know.

ETA I forgot dealing with stolen firearms.

--------------------

Roger Nyholm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Nyholm   E-mail Roger Nyholm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Hell's Angels is a well known group with a checkered history and a public image. I think Disney will be pretty well protected on first amendment grounds to make a movie about them. Can you imagine a lawsuit? Disney's lawyer would drag their name through the mud six ways to Sunday. This is a temporary stalling strategy that will NOT pay off.
Posts: 1 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages