snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney Regains Rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney Regains Rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Animation giant Disney has regained the rights to cartoon character Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, the forerunner to Mickey Mouse.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3479877

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey - look at this... after all these years...

I heard the story of young Disney losing the rights to his first cartoon character Oswald the lucky Rabbit a few years ago, and was told it was the reason why Walt Disney (and his company after him) had become so terribly sensitive about copyrights.

Now the question is, what shall they do with Oswald ? Make a few nostalgic cartoons as some kind of late revenge, or let the Rabbit rest in peace ?

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More accurately, Major, is that Walt had Oswald taken away from him by the production company he used to work for. The company laid Disney off (is that the correct way to say it?), and when he went to the New York office (from California) to dispute it, they told him that because he made Oswald while working for them, that Oswald's rights were owned by the company. IIRC, this happened in 1922.
My guess would be that they will show some of his cartoons on the Disney channel, and make a DVD of the cartoons (they've made DVDs of old Fabulous 7 cartoons). I also wouldn't be surprised if they incorporate him into "House of Mouse", and possibly (though I'm not holding my breath) make a meet and greet character of him.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, without Ub Iwerks to animate him, I suspect Oswald will sink with a clunk, except for true animation history fans.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney doesn't want him for "true animation" fans - they want him because they think he'll be a hit in Japan. Seriously.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim Hill's article from February 10 regarding the Oswald re-aquisition, and some near-future plans for the 'lucky rabbit'.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
More accurately, Major, is that Walt had Oswald taken away from him by the production company he used to work for. The company laid Disney off (is that the correct way to say it?), and when he went to the New York office (from California) to dispute it, they told him that because he made Oswald while working for them, that Oswald's rights were owned by the company. IIRC, this happened in 1922.
Not quite. The "Oswald" shorts produced by Disney were distributed by Universal. Disney's distribution contract with Universal expired in 1928, so he traveled to New York to negotiate a new one. Universal proposed cutting the price they paid Disney for each "Oswald" short (even though the character was by then quite popular), and when Disney balked at the deal, they threatened to hire his animators away from him. When Disney went shopping around for a new distributor, he discovered that his previous contract with Universal had ceded copyright ownership of Oswald to them.

Rather than, in effect, going to work for Universal, Walt opted to remain independent and start over with a new character, Mickey Mouse.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So in essence, you could say that Universal created its biggest rival. You gotta love that. *evil cackle*

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Psihala. I planned to link that same article but got called away from the PC for a bit longer than expected.

--------------------

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim Hill is actually not a very reliable source. A lot of the time, cast members will laugh at his articles.

ETA: in fact, there HAS been news put out about Toy Story 3- it's been canned. So no more Toy Story 3.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
Not quite. The "Oswald" shorts produced by Disney were distributed by Universal. Disney's distribution contract with Universal expired in 1928, so he traveled to New York to negotiate a new one. Universal proposed cutting the price they paid Disney for each "Oswald" short (even though the character was by then quite popular), and when Disney balked at the deal, they threatened to hire his animators away from him. When Disney went shopping around for a new distributor, he discovered that his previous contract with Universal had ceded copyright ownership of Oswald to them.

Rather than, in effect, going to work for Universal, Walt opted to remain independent and start over with a new character, Mickey Mouse.

- snopes

Sorry, I had Traditions (the Disney class that's the first day of being on-the-clock for cast members) over 3 years ago. When you're in a room with no windows, blasting AC, in business attire for 6 hours (and you're 18 years old)...you can't absorb everything!

--------------------

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is an artificial sweetner:
Jim Hill is actually not a very reliable source. A lot of the time, cast members will laugh at his articles.

ETA: in fact, there HAS been news put out about Toy Story 3- it's been canned. So no more Toy Story 3.

Yeah, Disney's version was canned. Lassiter will only go forward with a sequel if HE has control over it. Check out the stories here, here, and here.

--------------------

Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the precisions (it's about what I had heard). Being a graphic designer myself, I can fully understand how Disney must have felt back in 1928. Yet, things are not that different today: everything you create as an employee belongs to your boss (unless you can negociate a contract that says otherwise - but it's pretty unlikely).

No wonder such a talented man as Disney chose to go his own way.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 217 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yet, things are not that different today: everything you create as an employee belongs to your boss (unless you can negociate a contract that says otherwise - but it's pretty unlikely).

Disney was always an independent filmmaker who (along with his brother, Roy) ran his own company. The problem was that no matter how independent he might be, he still had to deal with a whole chain of other businesses -- suppliers, retailers, distributors, exhibitors -- and he got snookered by one of them. To his credit, he didn't make the same mistake twice.

- snopes

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
Yet, things are not that different today: everything you create as an employee belongs to your boss (unless you can negociate a contract that says otherwise - but it's pretty unlikely).

Disney was always an independent filmmaker who (along with his brother, Roy) ran his own company. The problem was that no matter how independent he might be, he still had to deal with a whole chain of other businesses -- suppliers, retailers, distributors, exhibitors -- and he got snookered by one of them. To his credit, he didn't make the same mistake twice.

- snopes

One thing I do remember from Traditions is that Walt was the creative side, Roy was the practical side. Also, Walt built many, many companies to provide services himself. But if you're saying that earlier in his career, he had to deal with all those people, then you're right.

*hijack*
By the way, Walt went bankrupt at least three times, IIRC
*/hijack*

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages